Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I'm going to be a cop...

Sniff sniff. I just found out that my uncorrected vision is not up to par. A couple of agencies I was looking into require uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 and correctable to at least 20/30. Well, my uncorrected is no where near what it should be (more like 20/700). This is not going over with me very well. It looks like surgery may have to be an option. Any suggestions?
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Dont panic!

It just means you may have to shop around a little.

Read the small print.

Sometimes it reads: uncorrected vision no worse than ____, unless corrected by soft contacts

Most departments are dropping the uncorrected vision standards because they are running into problems with the ADA.

Most of the federal agencies now state, "correctable to 20/20 by any means, with normal color vision." The state and local departments will be coming around to those standards sooner or later.

Comment

LASIK worked for me. If you are as bad uncorrected as you say, it is a safety issue unless you are wearing soft contacts. I went from 20/400 in the worse eye to 20/13 with the surgery. I would have paid 10 times what I did if I would have known how well it would turn out. See if you are a candidate for it or some other procedure.

Comment

LISIK works wonders!

It's like getting a new set of eyes. Plus it's acceptable to law enforcement agencies

Comment

DR,

Send me a PM with where you got it done if it was near Vegas.
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I too had Lasik and it was the best money I ever spent, no regrets.
            "You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
            - James Allen

Comment

Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-26-2003, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I would suggest laser surgery - in the last few years, the RCMP has reversed its policy about allowing Regular Members to receive such treatment at Force expense, because there were a whack of our guys that were going to be medically pensioned off due to their failing eyesight, and laser surgery was successful for about 80% of them. I also know of several successful Cadet applicants that underewent laser surgery in order to bring their vision up to standards and there have been few, or none, that have had problems.

If you really can't find a real job, and feel the need to wear soft body armour, then either get the surgery done or look harder at better jobs.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

I gotta agree with everyone else, Cadet. Don't give up. It looks like LASIK is a good option in the opinion of the other guys here. I haven't had it done so I can't advise ya on it.
                  Anyway, I just wanted to say good luck. Things'll work out for you.
                  Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I was more frustrated than anything else. I'm so close on this one, and I'd hate to think that the only thing standing between me and my goal is bad vision.

Comment

Frank -
                      Sorry to disagree with you, but Border Patrol will hire after LASIK. Check for details on Honor First.
                      "Public service is not just a job.
                      It is an act of citizenship."
                      ---G.W. Bush

Comment

Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-26-2003, 09:56 AM.

Comment

The only thing holding you back is YOU. If you want it bad enough then go get it. Find a department that will except not so perfect vision. If you want the career, then its yours providing you dont get discouraged about the little things.
                          "To each his own"

Comment

ftrphxcop, the only problem with applying to a department that has lower vision standards, is that eventually, I'll probably end up changing departments. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Of course, great things could happen, and they could say, "Oh, you can't see worth s**t without contacts? No problem!" (I wish ). Oh well, I'll just see how it goes. All in all, I'm looking at maybe my senior yr in college getting the surgery, then applying to the local Sheriff's Office, then moving a couple of yrs later. We shall see...

Comment

Frank -

One of these days I need to learn to read . . . I missed the word "some". My bad
                              "Public service is not just a job.
                              It is an act of citizenship."
                              ---G.W. Bush

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3297 users online. 161 members and 3136 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X