• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    celia
    Forum Member

• celia
    replied
    Well, no surgery is fun.

As far as the neutering comparisom, that's done for the convienence of the owner too. Why not just keep your male cat indoors? The answer is because they'll stink the house up, not because they'll get sick. Even with the females, why not just let them breed? It's because WE have decided we don't want them to breed. They would be very happy having litter after litter, and THEY really don't care if their kittens go to the pound or not. We do it for OUR convience, not for their sake really. It's to make US feel better, not them.

I wouldn't dock a dog's tail just for looks, but the declawing thing I see as a good idea in many case. My 2 cats are declawed and, as I said, don't seem to mind a bit. I don't have to scold them, or squirt them with water, or lock them out of certain rooms, or try to keep them off the furniture. Because they are declawed, they have much more freedom and a happier life it seems to me. Not a bad trade for a couple of weeks of sore feet. They are not "crippled" as I've heard some people insist. They don't "walk funny", and if I didn't tell you, you would not know they were declawed.

Leave a comment:

• RachelR
    Forum Member

• RachelR
    replied
    Thalia - when you consider having your nuckle cut off to be a pleasurable experience, then I'll believe you.

Spaying and neutering is a bit differnent because studies show that cats are actually healthier for it. Not to mention, it of course, controls the pet population. The only reason to have a cat declawed is for the convenience of the owner, NOT for the good of the cat. There are plenty of other alternatives to stop your cat from scratching than to submit them to a painful surgery regardless of how well they seem to take it.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: RaychelR ]

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    Cops Best Friend

• jellybean40
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Don
    Forum Member

• Don
    replied
    Aw JB, I KNEW there was something about you that I really liked! Now I know what it is!

Leave a comment:

• Phillygirl
    Forum Member

• Phillygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jellybean40:
    <makes an admission>

*gulp*

I don't love cats...
    lol, it's okay Jellybean. Actually, I love all animals. Cats just better fit my lifestyle these days.

Kate

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    Cops Best Friend

• jellybean40
    replied
    Wellll...

i had a wonderful cat years ago who was very sweet...the times she wasnt attacking me, that is.

since then, i have had the bad luck to be around some un-likable cats

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    Banned

• kateykakes
    replied
    Oh no, JB, say it ain't so!

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    Cops Best Friend

• jellybean40
    replied
    <makes an admission>

*gulp*

I don't love cats...

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    Banned

• kateykakes
    replied
    Originally posted by Don:

Katey, you know I love you dearly, but somehow "trooper" is not exactly the term that I would use for someone who allows an animal to make them miserable all the time!

Don,

If I was allergic to you, I'd still keep you around the house cause I love ya too!

Leave a comment:

• Don
    Forum Member

• Don
    replied
    Originally posted by Phillygirl:

Kateykakes,

You are such a trooper to keep your cat and cope with your allergy, given it's severity.
    Katey, you know I love you dearly, but somehow "trooper" is not exactly the term that I would use for someone who allows an animal to make them miserable all the time!

(ducking and running for cover!)

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: Don ]

Leave a comment:

• Phillygirl
    Forum Member

• Phillygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by kateykakes:
    Have you thought of posting anything down at the vet hospital on one of the bulletin boards? You might get lucky and have someone adopt them from there.

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Kateykakes,

Thanks for putting the word out about the cats. I asked my daughter to post something at the vet school and she took care of that but, as you can imagine, they are deluged with these requests. *sigh*

You are such a trooper to keep your cat and cope with your allergy, given it's severity. I dated someone a few years ago who had a severe (cat) allergic reaction in my house. His airway swelled and he began wheezing and I thought he was going to have a cardiac arrest. Ended up shoving his head out a third floor window so he could gulp air and then, when his airway calmed down, rushed him out of the house. I warn people with cat allergies to take benadryl before they visit but I do worry!

Kate

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    Banned

• kateykakes
    replied
    Kate,

I will ask around about the cats. I've already found homes for the kittens when they're old enough to leave, which is a major disappointment to my youngest because he thinks we should keep them.

If I didn't have a house full, I'd take the cats. It's a zoo here - My kids, a dog, my cat, Ronald, a momma cat and her three babies, a turtle, and a parakeet.

I also am allergic to cats. I can't pet Ronnie too long before my whole body starts to itch and I break out in hives. My eyes swell up and I feel like I could rip them out, but it's only after prolonged periods of petting the cat. I refuse to get rid of him though. He's my bud. I just suffer through it.

Have you thought of posting anything down at the vet hospital on one of the bulletin boards? You might get lucky and have someone adopt them from there.

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Leave a comment:

• Phillygirl
    Forum Member

• Phillygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by kateykakes:
    [QB]

My daughter...is about two weeks away from starting her externship.

I LOVE cats.

QB]
    Hey KateyKakes,

Congrats to your daughter on her externship. She's going to be working in a fascinating area! I've had the opportunity to observe some surgeries and I've always been impressed by how well OR team members anticipate and meet each other's needs. Maybe you can offer a "two-for" deal when you apply to surgi-centers!

Cat SOS: a former colleague has two healthy adult cats (8 and 11, I think) who need new homes by July 4 or they're going to be euthanized. Their baby has developed allergies to the cats. Know anyone who might be interested? Just putting out feelers everywhere for her...

Thanks,
    Kate

Leave a comment:

• huff317
    Forum Member

• huff317
    replied
    Cats DO like citrus, at least my furball does. He eats that orange cleaner paste stuff my wife uses on furniture and all. He eats anything, tho, so that aint' saying much.
    General comment "Pets are like their people" Hmmmm, last time I checked, cats are NEUROTIC!!!!!!
    That would explain a lot of cops, no?

My cat's name is gray, quick-guess what color he is!

Give that scratcher something to scratch on that he THINKS is important to you. He obviously, through some strange feline reasoning process, believes that particular area of carpet is special to you. It is your job to somehow convince him that a scratching post is more to you than just that. We got lucky and have rough cedar 1x4's for scratching posts, I mean, trim in our dining room. He loves it, and I yell at him just often enough for scratching on it that he thinks that I don't want him to use it. Pretty slick, huh? At any rate, you'll figure something out, anyone with a cat, much less a cop, HAS to be resourceful, or just die.
    Out

Leave a comment:

• shooter1201
    O.com's #2 trouble maker

• shooter1201
    replied
    I notice ALF is back on TV. You might give his agent a call. IIRC, he eats cats.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4316 users online. 234 members and 4082 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X