300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.E. Agencies that hire at 18

Anyone aware of a PD or S.O. that hires at 18 within California?

Originally posted by DarienW View Post
    Baaaad Idea, I hope there is not many or any at all. I think it should be 23 for the road. My Dept hires I believe at 18 but its for the jail and your not allowed to carry a weapon, they won't send you to the academy until your 21, so therefore no chance for the road until 21.
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Maybe as a dispatcher, but nothing else.

Comment

One problem - your mom would have to buy your bullets.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I know of NO agency in CA that hires, trains and activates any 18 year olds as sworn peace officers. As has been stated, they may be hired as dispatchers, custody assistants, custodial, clerical, mechanical; but, not cops.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Look at the San Jose PD experiment in the late 70's. They hired 19 year olds...came time for the academy and they couldn't purchase a handgun or ammo. That stopped pretty quick. Too young anyway.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

If you really want to be a cop at 18, try the US Army. Back in the day, they'd train you at 18 to be an MP (Military Police) - and I would assume that they still do so.

EDIT: You might stand at least some chance of being stationed in California before you turn 21, right?
              Last edited by VA Dutch; 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Go to school...

Comment

Get a job as clerical staff or a dispatcher at an agency you want to work for if possible. I went that route at 19, and think it so far has been helping me tremendously. I am learning a TON about law enforcement mindsets, the policies and procedures of my department, and how to properly do all paperwork, which they don't focus too much time on in the academy I hear.

Your time will come to be an officer, as will mine, but getting a civilian job with the department you want to be a PO with is one of the smartest things I believe I could have done.

Comment

At 18, all I cared about was getting... well ... "serviced" by an attractive young lass.

IMO 18, is too young for this job and I don't know any dept that hires at that age.
                    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Nope, you have to be 21 to carry a pistol. Maybe for a cadet or intern but would be non-sworn. Also there is a bit a reality that you need to be aware of.

Even if it was legal most agencies would not hire an 18 year old simply because of your lack of life experiences. I'm not saying your are mentally incapable of doing the work but dealing with people's problems takes a certain level of maturity that just plain doesn't exist in most 18 year-olds.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

If you really want to be a cop at 18, try the US Army. Back in the day, they'd train you at 18 to be an MP (Military Police) - and I would assume that they still do so.

EDIT: You might stand at least some chance of being stationed in California before you turn 21, right?
                        You have to be 19 to carry a pistol and perform law enforcement duties for the military.

Comment

Unfortunately, I am aware of several Wisconsin agencies that hire at the age of 18. Sometimes the young officer grows to be a quality law enforcement officer, but other times...

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106300

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74792
                          "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

If you're worried about college being to hard...

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                              You have to be 19 to carry a pistol and perform law enforcement duties for the military.
                              When did that start? I was 18 when I was a Military Policeman.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5167 users online. 256 members and 4911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X