300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Years and a Medical Discharge

It had been a privlidge and honor to be a patrol officer, then into K-9 for 5 years, and then promoted to Major Felony Crimes Detective. One fine am almost out of the house to work; I collapsed and had a seizure. No crying in my own sorro, I spent two mos in the Trauma Hospital and had a clot in brain, a few more seizures, and a brain swelling. Powers to be (no disrespect); told family, wife etc dont worry if I live they will take care of me and not to worry. I lived!! Light duty release in office 4,6,8 hrs over weeks and months by Dr. Receive a certified letter in mail by Co. Atty and if not back full duty by time leave runs out will be medically discharged. I was shocked; tried w/union as I was President and told by Co. officals no provision in "Contract" for light duty (slap in face). I was then medically discharged a short time later and no atty or others had a way to block this. Months went and continued to get better, Neuro Dr pulls me off Seizure drug and weeks later a seizure in town and 1st on scene;;Chief of Police. Told by exboss officials worried to rehire re seizures. It has been 2.5 years with no probs; but still get the door closed in my face. You all be safe and it was an honor. If you have thoughts about similiar or what to do next ideas let me know. Thanks.

So, you were medically discharged, as a result of an "On The JOB' incident?

If not, I guess it would be no different than any other job, if you can't work, you are out. No disrespect intended.
    21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

Thanks for the reply I guess; no disrespect. No, hit head on arrest falling straight backwards and hitting head on rock fire pit at campground. Had a concussion and this happened 10 mo's prior to my medical problem. Dr's said they could not say for sure this was reason for clot in virtually same area. My issue all along had been no light duty, get well, and back to work like so many cops I've talked to even with heart attacks and worse. I saw a law in NY,(police/fire) I could be wrong that even if you were on the job 1 day or 30years and you had a stroke or heart attack you were given a medical pension. I guess my 4 strokes can't stretch that far from the west coast.

Comment

You need to look further into the rules of your pension system.

Under the state retirement system in California , if you are unable to work because of a job related injury, you are eligible to receive a disability pension of at least 50% of your highest year's salary for the rest of your life.

If you suffer from a non-work related injury that leaves you unable to continue in your job, you can qualify for a non-industrial disability retirement that pays 2% of your highest year's salary for every year of service.

If you system has provisions similar to those of California, there may be some help for you.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

what happened to equal opportunity employers?

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

Did not want anyone to believe I was disabled and kept fighting to go back. I fought the dr's, admin, atty's etc. and always stayed cool and calm. This backfired; lost long term disability, would not be let back and Monday morning quarterback of myself, should have let it go its course. I loved my job to much and did not listen. 3+ years later, no job, no income and can't find my "S" shirt anywhere. Oregon Ret law different and did not have 10 yrs in on new ret system so I did not qualify.

Comment

Okay, as I read your post(s) I get the idea you were not vested in your Department's Retirement System. I'm not in a position to really comment on your situation vis-a-vis the Department which medically discharged you. My thought at present is that you apply for Social Security Disability. Consult with an Attorney who handles Social Security issues. In this manner you can determine if you're eligible for Social Security benefits. If you are, the Attorney can assist you in the application process. I sincerely hope that your situation improves, and that Social Security can be of some help to you. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks; You are correct, had to pull money out on 1st retirement account after a 10 yr w/large department and then only had about 8 on the second. Oh to go back in time. However, at the time did not want anyone to think there was anything wrong and to apply would confirm;; now I am wishing for the time machine, but very thankful to be alive. I had way to many close encounters and most w/high speed situations and watched to many good men and women get cut short in life as a result. My prayers go out to those families. At times though, I feel like Lt. Dan who was to die in the battle field, but did not; Good to live but miss the commrodity and you go I go.

"If You Don't get there, you can't help: Slow Down"

Comment

66 2/3 tax free with health benefits in NJ.
                  Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Been there done that on LTD. After 1st yr; they pulled it and said no longer disabled. I could have fought, but continued to think I would get back. If I challenged; it would confirm I was disabled;I tried to get by and fool with health I had. Still looking for the time machine as health gets worse. Good for you and hope you had a good career.

Comment

Forgot to ask; was that a NJ law re heart or stroke?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6016 users online. 257 members and 5759 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X