300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO's for the Constitution

A couple fellow brothers in blue have started a group and put together a website. In an effort to help them get exposure and expand the group, I thought I'd post this here.

The group is called, "LEO's for the Constitution". Its basic purpose is to remind and educate officers that we are sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. The website is a bit sparce as it's just getting started, but I won't steal thunder away from the website that's been worked on so hard, so I'll leave my intro as that.

If you feel so inclined, please check out the site and sign up if you like. Soon, there should be links to a Twitter and Facebook page. The group is also a member of the Glenn Beck 9.12 Project and can be found as a member of the "Law Enforcement" group at the 9.12 networking website: http://www.the912project.us/

The website for the group is: http://www.leosfortheconstitution.com/ This is a labor of love from working cops so the updates and new articles may be slow to begin. As the site grows, I have no doubt that more writers will present themselves. They'd appreciate it if you stopped in and left a comment or two.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

I am no longer an LEO, but I wish you good luck and godspeed with such an endeavor. No doubt you are going to encounter naysayers and critics.

** "The closest thing to eternal life on this planet is a government program." -- Ronald Reagan **

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Civilian support is welcome and encouraged. It's always nice to have the support of "civilians". After all, we're ALL bound by the Constitution, LE and civilian alike.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

what do you think of the US constitution.

Comment

You need to expound a bit to get a proper answer.
          NRA Life Member

Comment

I'm not a cop but I don't think it should be the peace officers responsibility to give a brief US constitution lesson to a US citizen every time someone is custodially questioned (aka miranda warning.)

I'm all for every right in the constitution but if you dont even have the time to read it for yourself (or even the cliffs notes version on the bill of rights) then why should the cops give you a lesson? It's like criminal darwinism.

Comment

Sgt. Slaughter,

I am so glad to see that such website exist. I will be joining soon.

I was sworn to protect and preserve the U.S. Constitution in the military and when I became a sworn LEO. I hope that many of our fellow LEOs would hold up to what they are sworn to protect.

Comment

Ceridwen - that would be nice, but there are those people who can't read...or maybe speak English but can't read it... :P I wish it were that way, but it is what it is. Just another thing we have to work with.

M1garand - Thank you for your support. The site is in its infancy, but the message still needs to get out.

Both of you stop by, check it out and sign up!!!
                NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                  Ceridwen - that would be nice, but there are those people who can't read...or maybe speak English but can't read it... :P I wish it were that way, but it is what it is. Just another thing we have to work with.

M1garand - Thank you for your support. The site is in its infancy, but the message still needs to get out.

Both of you stop by, check it out and sign up!!!
                  I remember having dinner with my Uncle (been a cop as long as I've been alive), his daughter / my cousin (a prosecutrix in CA) and my sister (a criminal defense attorney in TX). Talk about feeling about the odd one out in dinner conversation. Sister and cousin got into a debate on this issue and my Uncle just shrugged and said 'Everyone talks, eventually.'

Is that true? I mean, I wonder how often a suspect does remain silent?

Comment

Well, it depends, really. Depends on the cop doing the questioning and how motivated they are to get someone to talk.
                    NRA Life Member

Comment

Glenn Beck taints whatever he is associated with. 9/12 project...well I guess that solves it. Glenn Beck is the moral compass to guide our country with. I suppose Racist Limbaugh will be putting his own two cents into that as well?

I'm not a cop but I don't think it should be the peace officers responsibility to give a brief US constitution lesson to a US citizen every time someone is custodially questioned (aka miranda warning.)
                      It's a reasonable couple sentences that the layman can view as a "fair chance" for someone not to make any self-incriminating statements. If you are in a car crash, and are immediately apologetic, you could be incriminating yourself unduly.
                      -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

djack16 - I would expect nothing less from someone still displaying a Barack Obama support avatar. The 9.12 project is based on certain principles. If you don't agree with it, no need to join up. There's also no need to come here and try to bash someone. You have a problem with them, call their shows and hash it out.

The point of LEO's for the Constitution joining the 9.12 Project is that the ideals are those of the Founding Fathers. Since they are the ones who drafted our Charters of Freedom, the goals of the 9.12 Project group match the goals of LEO's for the Constitution - educating about Constitutional principals and ensuring police are not used as the arm of an unconstitutional violation of citizens' rights. One would think that by reading your signature that you would be in line with that type of thinking.

And Miranda applies to in-custody interrogation. Don't get it confused with making a voluntary statement after a traffic collision. Not even remotely the same thing.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Ceridwen View Post

I'm all for every right in the constitution but if you dont even have the time to read it for yourself (or even the cliffs notes version on the bill of rights) then why should the cops give you a lesson? It's like criminal darwinism.
                          By your logic, why then should a court inform a defendant of his right to counsel, right to a jury trial or any other constitutional right? After all, he should have gone to school and learned the Constitution.

Moreover, how do we know the person can even read? There is a huge correlation between lack of education and crime.

Finally, even if he or she read the Constitution, they wouldn't find anything about their right not to speak to the police. Sure, it says they have the right not to be a witness against themselves but they would probably think that refers to taking the stand at trial, not statements made before hand.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Give it up Sarge, they're taking things that aren't even related and trying to make points with them.

Comment

Deleted....
                              Last edited by wirefire2; 01-15-2010, 05:35 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5435 users online. 388 members and 5047 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X