300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Carry States.

For the officers that work in states that have open carry, how does this effect the way you do your job? I'm interested in how you think of or approach an openly armed individual that appears to be minding their own business when no crime has been committed or is suspected. Obviously, an armed trouble maker or an armed person at some "incident" would be another matter.

Thanks
    jim

I don't approach if I don't need anything from them. If I do, I try to approach from the rear with cover nearby. Armed everyday citizens are hardly worth a second look.

Comment

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

I know most of you who come here aren't that bright, but there are already DOZENS of threads on this exact topic and I am sick of it.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by jim57 View Post
        For the officers that work in states that have open carry, how does this effect the way you do your job? I'm interested in how you think of or approach an openly armed individual that appears to be minding their own business when no crime has been committed or is suspected.

Thanks
        jim
        Jim,
        If you're interested in what we think of this topic, why didn't you search to see what we've said about it? This is not a poke at you, I really want to know. Why didn't you search? Let me guess, none of the other threads asked the question EXACTLY the same way you plan to.

Just above your original post is a black bar. Immediately superior, a blue button. A little more space, and you come to a blue bar. Upon this bar you will find options. The third from the right is labeled "search". By the small act of clicking this word, you open the door to a wealth of information. You can access not only the knowledge of the officers who will ridicule you between now and your banning, but that of countless others who, having had enough of the drivel spewed on us by opencarrydotorg, liberal media types, speeders, baiters, and all manner of trolls, have long since departed these beloved forums. You are really selling yourself short, in your quest for knowledge, if you only ask the LEOs who can still stand to answer this question.
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

why would i need to approach a person, an openly armed individual that appears to be minding their own business when no crime has been committed or is suspected?
          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
            why would i need to approach a person, an openly armed individual that appears to be minding their own business when no crime has been committed or is suspected?
            I highly doubt that his troll brain is capable of that simple logic.

To the OP: If I was working in an open carry state, I would treat the person that you described as I would any unarmed civilian. I wouldn't approach them at all. I do believe that the definition of reasonable suspicion would play out in your hard to understand scenario.

Comment

i assume everyone is armed anyway

seeing it would just make me relax cause i would know where it was exactly lol
              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

nvm this post
                "Every morning you are handed 24 golden hours. They are one of the few things in this world that you get free of charge. If you had all the money in the world, you couldn't buy an extra hour. What will you do with this priceless treasure? Remember, you must use it, as it is given only once. Once wasted you cannot get it back." -Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                  i assume everyone is armed anyway

seeing it would just make me relax cause i would know where it was exactly lol
                  +1
                  What Is A Veteran?
                  A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by jim57 View Post
                    For the officers that work in states that have open carry, how does this effect the way you do your job? I'm interested in how you think of or approach an openly armed individual that appears to be minding their own business when no crime has been committed or is suspected. Obviously, an armed trouble maker or an armed person at some "incident" would be another matter.

Thanks
                    jim
                    Your query borders on the tactical side of police work and almost all officers are reticent to discuss tactics. If they do that then it is not tactical it is common knowledge. Safety is any officers concern - safety for oneself and safety for those in the immediate area. Nuff said!!!
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

If I'm not busy I talk guns with them (sorry guys, but I hold that Glocks are best). If I'm busy I nod and do my thing.

Comment

While California permits open carry, it prohibits loaded carry without a permit in just about all areas of the state. To that end, California law allows officers to inspect weapons they come in contact with to determine whether they are loaded, so the open carry person would be stopped and their weapon inspected.

As a side note, California has so many violent crimes that it is quite possible the open carry person may fit the description of an outstanding suspect from one of those events. Given the circumstances (person with a gun fitting the description of a wanted, violent criminal) initial contact with them may be in "high risk" mode until their true status can be determined. To put it politely, this may be at great inconvenience and discomfort to the open carry person.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Funny how this ended in general instead of ask-a-cop... Almost as if you didn't want actual Cops' opinions.
                          -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                            USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

I know most of you who come here aren't that bright, but there are already DOZENS of threads on this exact topic and I am sick of it.
                            You know people who say this really bug me. If you are so sick of it then why did you even bother clicking on this thread and taking the time to post a reply? Last time I checked this was a forum used for having discussions. Not only that but this forum has been around for quite a few years, I know because I've visited it for quite a few years. I'm sure in that time span pretty much every topic you can think of has been discussed at some point. Does that mean that once a topic has been discussed it's off limits for the rest of time? If someone wanted to go and read an already written article about a subject there are other places to do that. If someone wants to participate in an ACTIVE DISCUSSION on a subject they come to a forum such as this. So how about you take a chill pill and if it REALLY offends you SOOOO much that someone had the audacity to make a post about a topic that has already been discussed before just don't click on it. Wow isn't that easy?

Comment

Ya know what really bugs me? These Open Carry people coming here to bait us.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Smurfette
                              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                              Originally posted by DAL
                              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7335 users online. 359 members and 6976 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X