Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone explain what a "joint bar check" is.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Someone explain what a "joint bar check" is.

    Saw this article on the home page and I am trying to figure out what the outrage is about. What was the purpose of police presence at the bar? Are they checking for I.D. to make sure folks are old enough. If so, is there any evidence that they were targeting gay bars in particular?

    Fort Worth Gay Bar Raid Sparks National Outrage
    Police halt operations with TABC following Rainbow Lounge incident




    --

    Jul. 3--Calling it "an excellent first step," a leading voice in Fort Worth's gay and lesbian community Thursday praised police Chief Jeff Halstead's decision to indefinitely suspend joint bar checks between the department and state alcohol beverage agents.

    The announcement by Chief Halstead came four days after a raid at the Rainbow Lounge by six Fort Worth officers and two Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission agents left one patron hospitalized with a head injury.

    "I think it's an excellent first step," said Todd Camp, founder of Fort Worth's Q Cinema gay and lesbian film festival. "I'm glad to hear that both departments are conducting investigation. As a long-time resident of Fort Worth, I look forward to working with the police department to make sure something like this doesn't happen again."

    The bar raid sparked national outrage over police treatment of gays and lesbians. It occurred on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, regarded as the birth of the modern gay-rights movement, when several spontaneous protests erupted after patrons at a New York gay bar fought back against a police raid.

    Chad Gibson, 26, remained in fair condition Thursday at John Peter Smith Hospital with a head injury, but his father, Don Gibson of Arlington, said he is scheduled to be released today . Chad Gibson was among six people arrested during Sunday's early-morning bar check at the club. At the time he was injured, Gibson was in the custody of TABC agents.

    In a news release announcing the suspension of all joint operations with the TABC, Halstead -- who took over in December after coming from Phoenix -- also said that he wants to know more about the historical relationship between the TABC and Fort Worth police.

    The chief also announced that he would make sure that all police officers receive multicultural training, with particular emphasis on dealing with the gay and lesbian community.

    Neither Halstead nor department spokesman Sgt. Pedro Criado would expand on the statement.

    "The [internal] investigation is ongoing," Criado said. "Right now, the investigation is in its infancy stages."

    In a statement of their own, officials with the TABC said they backed the chief's efforts.

    "TABC Administrator Alan Steen supports Chief Halstead in his efforts to determine how best to serve the community," the statement said. "Mr. Steen and Chief Halstead have been in contact with each other this week, and they share the same goals -- to establish the facts surrounding the incident at the Rainbow Lounge, to hold accountable any employees who violated policy or the law, and to determine the best way to serve the people of Texas moving forward."

    In a subsequent interview, TABC spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said the agency is conducting its own investigation and has placed the agents involved in the raid on the day shift, "which means desk duty."

    Don Gibson said Thursday that he believes Halstead's decision to halt further joint efforts with the TABC is correct but said Halstead needs to go further.

    "Honestly, the chief is still not bellowing up to the bar about the responsibility of the Fort Worth Police Department," said the elder Gibson, who complained that Fort Worth police initially denied their role in Sunday's raid. "Me and Alan Steen agree that Fort Worth police were there. I'd like for him [Chief Halstead] to say that publicly."

    Also Thursday, State Reps. Wendy Davis and Lon Burnham of Fort Worth sent the TABC a letter calling for an investigation and for details of the incident. And gay and lesbian leaders and supporters nationwide are calling for scrutiny of the agency, the Fort Worth police department and the city itself.

    But Camp, who has lived in Fort Worth since 1984 and was celebrating his birthday at the club when the raid occurred, said he wants to see cooler heads prevail.

    "This is my neighborhood; these are my officers," Camp said. "I don't want to be afraid of them, and I don't want them to be afraid of us. The whole world knows about Fort Worth right now.

    "I'm trying to get through to people that it's not a redneck place. Fort Worth is one of the most culturally aware places in Texas. Boycotting Fort Worth or boycotting Texas is not the way to go."


    "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.


  • #2
    Joint = in conjunction. Both Fort Worth Police Officers and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Agents doing bar checks together.

    They do these 'bar checks' to see how alcohol is being served and to make sure the bars are up to code. ( http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alc...erage_code.asp )

    Texas alcohol codes are pretty strict and they do make an effort to enforce the codes.

    Comment


    • #3
      TABC relies on the jurisdictional PD for manpower assists and jail facilities. They don't have enough agents to sustain that size of operation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OnceBitten View Post
        Joint = in conjunction. Both Fort Worth Police Officers and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Agents doing bar checks together.

        They do these 'bar checks' to see how alcohol is being served and to make sure the bars are up to code. ( http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alc...erage_code.asp )

        Texas alcohol codes are pretty strict and they do make an effort to enforce the codes.
        I hear ya. I figured it had to be something of that nature which I am sure includes whether or not they are checking ID and that sort of thing. But from the way the article reads they make it seem like they were targeting gays.

        There's nothing specific in the article that implies any wrongdoing so I am trying to figure out why these folks are so uptight( no pun intended).


        "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
          I hear ya. I figured it had to be something of that nature which I am sure includes whether or not they are checking ID and that sort of thing. But from the way the article reads they make it seem like they were targeting gays.

          There's nothing specific in the article that implies any wrongdoing so I am trying to figure out why these folks are so uptight( no pun intended).
          They are uptight because it is a "gay" bar, they are uptight because they did it on the anniversary of some "gay" rights march or something, they are uptight because the police allegedly handcuffed a "gay" person and threw him on the ground for no reason causing a head injury.

          Until the whole story comes out from an investigation, we can only speculate of course. From the stories I have read, the police officers claim some "gays" made sexual advances towards them and another "gay" actually grabbed a supervisors crotch. Hopefully we'll see through the investigation that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spoken View Post
            They are uptight because it is a "gay" bar, they are uptight because they did it on the anniversary of some "gay" rights march or something, they are uptight because the police allegedly handcuffed a "gay" person and threw him on the ground for no reason causing a head injury.

            Until the whole story comes out from an investigation, we can only speculate of course. From the stories I have read, the police officers claim some "gays" made sexual advances towards them and another "gay" actually grabbed a supervisors crotch. Hopefully we'll see through the investigation that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.
            Its rough-Up here in SF we have had guys gotten the hell squeezed out of them up here at these big parties (ala Halloween) in the Castro, etc. No Joke-
            On the official side, these Joint Bar Checks are necessary and there's nothing violating anything (IMO)-its all circumstantial. Ridiculous.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ah, I wasn't aware that one of the gay and lesbian rights was that you can illegally drink and illegally serve alcohol.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                Ah, I wasn't aware that one of the gay and lesbian rights was that you can illegally drink and illegally serve alcohol.
                Geez, where have you been? If you belong to a minority group the laws of the United States no longer apply. Enforcement of such laws violates something that really ****es someone off. DUH!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TX_Loudmouth View Post
                  Geez, where have you been? If you belong to a minority group the laws of the United States no longer apply. Enforcement of such laws violates something that really ****es someone off. DUH!
                  Actually, it seems that sane normal people with common sense are truely the minority these days.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As far as joint responses go, we help out Florida ABT (Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco... I think) on occasion. It's not like it's a big planned out thing. They call our dispatch and ask for our assistance, and we go. I wouldn't call it a "raid", more like a walk in a little bit quicker than usual. Then, we stand by and they go through the paperwork.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                      As far as joint responses go, we help out Florida ABT (Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco... I think) on occasion. It's not like it's a big planned out thing. They call our dispatch and ask for our assistance, and we go. I wouldn't call it a "raid", more like a walk in a little bit quicker than usual. Then, we stand by and they go through the paperwork.
                      Remember, you're dealing with a media report. I doubt seriously the officers would categorize the operation as a raid.

                      TABC regularly conducts unannounced bar checks to check for liquor law violations, underage patrons, public intoxication etc. Two agents are'nt going to walk into any bar around here with several hundred patrons without the uniformed assistance of the local P.D.

                      Ft Worth and Arlington P.D.'s will send anywhere from 4 - 8 uniforms with TABC at a typical bar with 200 - 700 patrons.

                      Comment

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 5206 users online. 273 members and 4933 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X