300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

I've spent most of today on O.Com. I'm off from work, the weather's lousy, and I've found myself unmotivated to do much of anything productive.

As I'm about to shut down for the day, I find the lyrics of that old Freddy Fender tune echoing reproachfully inside my head. The subject line should serve as a reminder for anyone who's never heard of Freddy or the Texas Tornados.

Posting can be fun at times but it's really not a particularly fulfilling activity. A snippet of Shakespeare's Macbeth, unwelcomed, now springs to mind...."a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

On the bright side, the time did pass quickly.

If anyone detects a point to this post, clue me in.

quote:
    If anyone detects a point to this post, clue me in.
    By quoting Shakespeare you are trying to sound pretentious?
    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

In order to post on this thread, are you required to use the big words?

Comment

I think he was watching the History Channel yesterday....

Comment

I think you are just bored today. You need to go do something stimulating. Want some suggestions?

Comment

Dino,

You had just too much time on your hands yesterday. Now if you really thought about it, you would have remembered what you told me the other day:

quote:
            I was all set to dismantle and clean the carbureutor, pull the side cases and unfreeze the clutch plates, reset the timing and valves, pop in a new rotor and capacitor, get new plugs, replace the dry rotted tires and tubes, retune the wheel spokes, drain and refill the oil tank, buy a new battery and chain, push some graphite through the cable sheaths, simi-chrome the shiny stuff, buff the paint, push all 500 lbs to the nearest cycle shop to get an inspection, purchase some insurance, fill up the gas tank, and take you for a ride.
            See, while you were here playing on O.com, you could have accomplished all of the above, then driven to West Chester and taken me out to lunch. Geez, Dino. Now I'm distraught!

Comment

Don't listen to Sgt. Dave...He's just jealous cause he can only quote the Muppets

Comment

Hey Mitzi:

What do you have if you have two tiny green balls between your thumb and forefinger?

Kermit The Frog's U-N-D-I-V-I-D-E-D attention!!!!!!!!!!! [Eek!]

People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

Sgt. Dave,

There's an old saying: "Much truth is spoken in jest". Like many a timeworn cliche, it's origins are somewhat vague. Credit for the first known example of a like phrase is attributed to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, in which the cook says, "A man may seye full soothe in game and pley." While the original has a certain charm, it would be considered the height of pretentiousness to use the latter saying in a modern conversational setting.

Now I know you were only joking when you implied that I was trying to be pretentious, Dave. I couldn't help but note the smiley, but I have to say that I'm still just a little bit hurt by your transparent remark. First of all, I dont have to try, it comes natural to me. Secondly, as everyone knows, a Freddy Fender reference more than cancels out the inherent pretense of a Shakespeare quote.

Godside,

Don't belittle yourself, son. Them big words'll come to you soon enough. Why most times they're nothin' more than a bunch of little words all strung together like the popcorn on a Christmas tree. Just write whatever you feel and don't you worry none about what them other folks think.

Frank,

Nope, rented a movie.

Wonderwoman,

Glad I waited until today to read the replies to this thread, WW. I had to get to bed at a reasonable hour so I could wake up early today for the day shift. I just may have been able to sleep after mulling the prospect of your suggestions, but it would have been real hard.

Krimpet,

Now, now, don't be distraught. There's a silver lining to every dark cloud. Just be patient, it'll come up soon enough.

Mitzi,

Now don't be so hard on the man, dear. He's trying real hard. Why just a few short months ago his post above would have gone something like, "Well LAH-DEE-DAH, look who's gettin all uppity and puttin' on airs." I think there's been significant progress.

I know for a fact he's been practicin' his letters. In the post below your's he may have spelled it real slow, but he got it right on the first try. He even made a reference to a book the other day so I suspect that hardbound paper supply he's got stacked up out in the two-holer is being put to its intended use. He's doin' us both proud.

[ 08-31-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Dinosaur ]

Comment

quote:
                    Krimpet,

Now, now, don't be distraught. There's a silver lining to every dark cloud. Just be patient, it'll come up soon enough.

Patient? What's that word mean?

I'm going to hold you to this, Dino. [Wink]

[ 08-31-2002, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

I have to admit, a magnificent vocabulary, a quirky sense of humor and an ability to quote Shakespeare in passing, hmmmmmmmm.

[Wink] Friday

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Friday:
                        I have to admit, a magnificent vocabulary, a quirky sense of humor and an ability to quote Shakespeare in passing

You should hear his accent. Just as sexy as all of the above. [Wink]

Comment

OK, who's this Shakespeare? I've seen his fishing rods. Was he in the The Sir Douglas Quintet with Doug and Augie?
                          Bill R

Comment

I've heard of and listened to Freddy Fender!!! and Bobby Vinton, Dick Dale and the Deltones, The Ventures, Barry McQuire........
                            " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by 207:
                              I've heard of and listened to Freddy Fender!!! and Bobby Vinton, Dick Dale and the Deltones, The Ventures, Barry McQuire........

But did you listen to Dion DiMucci? If you say yes, it's a bonus in your favor. [Wink]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5432 users online. 312 members and 5120 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X