X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Rookie Officers Fired On 1st Day

WJXT-TV
    updated 36 minutes ago
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Six rookie Jacksonville police officers were recently fired, stripped of their badges only one day after receiving them.

The officers had been sworn in as probationary officers on Thursday. They were kicked off the force Friday. The specific allegations against them are not yet known.

According to statement from Jacksonville Sheriff's Office's director of personnel and professional standards Rick Lewis, an internal investigation was launched "based on a single complaint made by a recruit, alleging improper conduct."

He stated that in the course of the initial investigation it became clear that the incident first reported might not be the only occurrence in that recruit class, and the JSO Internal Affairs Unit was called to investigate.

As a result of the investigation, Lewis recommended that Sheriff John Rutherford separate six recruits from service. The six were fired on Friday on charges of conduct unbecoming an officer.

Although the internal investigation has been completed with the agency and has become public record, JSO told Channel 4 the documents were not available for immediate release to the public but may be available on Wednesday.

Fraternal Order of Police President Nelson Cuba said typical recruits train for at least six months and the sheriff's offices spends a minimum of $50,000-$60,000 per person to train the recruits.

Cuba said he has not been privy to the information surrounding the investigation, but he said the Fraternal Order of Police would be heavily involved in helping the recruits if what he has heard turns out to be true.

"It is unfortunate that we had to take this action. Our standards of integrity, honesty and excellence will not be compromised, especially as we work with men and women to train them to protect and serve the community," Lewis said in a written statement
    Not much info to go on, but still interesting. Anybody know anything more about this?

just wait, they will come here and in "ask a cop" and tell you why they should still be a cop......
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Why do the words "class party", alcohol and stupidity come to mind?
      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

I guess I'm a little confused. Where they actual officers having graduated from the academy and then fired on day one of their field training as gun carrying officers, or where they hired academy recruits (being paid a base salary while at the academy) fired on their first day at the police academy LONG before they got to field training.

If so then the agency is breathing a sigh of relief getting rid of them now.

To me in CA "recruit" means someone attending a police academy and isn't out in the public acting as a police officer and in no way has the right to do so until they graduate.

If they were "recruits" in that context this is no big deal. My class lost 1/3 of our starting number. They simply cleaned house on day one. Big deal.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
        - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
          just wait, they will come here and in "ask a cop" and tell you why they should still be a cop......

LOL @ T-chickeee! I was thinking the same thing...

You're awful!

Comment

Originally posted by OnceBitten View Post
            LOL @ T-chickeee! I was thinking the same thing...

You're awful!
            I try!
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
              I guess I'm a little confused. Where they actual officers having graduated from the academy and then fired on day one of their field training as gun carrying officers, or where they hired academy recruits (being paid a base salary while at the academy) fired on their first day at the police academy LONG before they got to field training.

To me in CA "recruit" means someone attending a police academy and isn't out in the public acting as a police officer and in no way has the right to do so until they graduate.

If they were "recruits" in that context this is no big deal. My class lost 1/3 of our starting number. They simply cleaned house on day one. Big deal.
              yes they were...
              from the article:

The officers had been sworn in as probationary officers on Thursday. They were kicked off the force Friday. The specific allegations against them are not yet known.

the reasons are not publicly noted yet but like above I'm guessing alcohol + stupid human tricks......= not a cop now.
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

I save all my stupid human tricks for the privacy of my own house! Either that or maybe cheating on a test or something.

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post

The opening statement:
                  Six rookie Jacksonville police officers were recently fired, stripped of their badges only one day after receiving them.
                  Plain and understandable to me. They WERE no longer in the academy.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

"He stated that in the course of the initial investigation it became clear that the incident first reported might not be the only occurrence in that recruit class, "

Ah, I was confused by the above statement. I guess they just graduated and didn't hit the streets yet.

Funny, my class had a celebration function (rather tame actually), and our instructors for some reason didn't want to attend being the wise owls they are.

I've come to the conclusion it's best to get through probation and have a union rep before even picking your nose.
                    Last edited by SCV-Sop; 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Either that or maybe cheating on a test or something.
                      That's probably a pretty good guess. It'll be interesting to find out more facts.
                      Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

update

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31208624/#storyContinued

WJXT-TV
                        updated 24 minutes ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Allegations of sexual jokes, harassment and inappropriate touching by a female police recruit substantiated by an internal affairs investigation led to the firings of six rookie officers -- including the woman who filed the complaint.

The six officers were sworn in as probationary officers on Thursday. On Friday, they were dismissed after an investigation of sexual harassment at the police academy sustained charges of unbecoming conduct.

Police began investigating after Recruit Holly Ward complained about the behavior of eight classmates during their training at the police academy.

After the investigation, Sheriff John Rutherford followed the recommendation that six of the recruits -- including Ward -- be terminated

In addition to Ward, Recruits M.F. Gresham, D.J. John, J.R. Adams, T.J. Brown and T. J. Reimer were terminated.

According to the internal affairs' report, Ward told investigators of a number of instances of harassment that began in November, but she did not report it for six months.

In one instance, Ward said that during physical training on how to overcome an attacker, a male recruit squeezed both her breasts.

Ward told detectives that one male recruit once said: "She knows her place; she's a woman; she's aware."

Later on the gun range, Ward said she was asked if her husband knew about a relationship with a fellow recruit and was told, "Everybody knows about everything." He then told her that someone paid him $5 to ask her that question.

Ward is separated from her husband. Other recruits told investigators that Ward had admitted to having an affair with a classmate at the police academy.

Some of those investigated by internal affairs admitted to various levels of joking around -- one said making "smart ***" statements to Ward -- but also said she was open about her sexual activities and had flirted with some of her fellow recruits.

In a sworn statement, one recruit told investigators that Ward brought photos of herself in a bikini and topless and showed them to classmates.

During the defensive tactics exercise, a different recruit said Ward told him: "It's OK, you can touch my boobs. It's no problem."

A total of nine recruits were investigated, but charges were sustained against only six. Rick Lewis, the JSO's director of personnel and professional standards, recommended to Sheriff John Rutherford they be fired.

They were terminated based on the findings of conduct unbecoming an officer.

"It is unfortunate that we had to take this action. Our standards of integrity, honesty and excellence will not be compromised, especially as we work with men and women to train them to protect and serve the community," said Lewis said in a written statement.

Lewis told Channel 4 that "every day is a test" at the academy -- including tests of character. He said recruits are fully aware of department policies and the decision to fire the officers was easy to make.

Fraternal Order of Police President Nelson Cuba told Channel 4 that recruits typically train for six months and the sheriff's office spends a minimum of $50,000 to $60,000 a person to train the recruits.

"The frustrating part is, is there another way to handle this? Could we have saved these young officers' careers? They're just starting; they make mistakes," Cuba said. "Yet, I'm wondering, did the department overreact?"

Lewis disagreed, saying if the recruits act this way when they're under the microscope at the academy, how would they behave once they were on their own in the field?
                        http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...pmark2-1-1.jpg

In Memoriam of Sgt. Mark Reynolds SSTrooper

http://www.therolladailynews.com/new...s?popular=true

Comment

Originally posted by missnu View Post
                          Lewis disagreed, saying if the recruits act this way when they're under the microscope at the academy, how would they behave once they were on their own in the field?
                          +1 Could not agree more.
                          John Q. Citizen

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Comment

What a bunch of ****ing retards, I think the city should sue the crap out of the 6 to recover any and all money spent on them.
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                              What a bunch of ****ing retards, I think the city should sue the crap out of the 6 to recover any and all money spent on them.
                              Yup.........!
                              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5753 users online. 308 members and 5445 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X