300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity in LE?

I was just randomly watching the local fox40 news, and they had a report regarding obesity in law enforcement.

In Sacramento county i believe the number was 16% of officers being obese.

here's the preview:
    http://www.fox40.com/pages/video/?au...clipId=3781336

They haven't posted the full video yet.

So anyway, i'm not trying to offend any officers.

This just got me wondering if you guys think your department has this problem? Should officers be required to keep in shape, or else face losing their jobs?

1 in 4 Americans are obese, but they usually aren't the ones having to chase the bad guys.

Mike, this has been discussed at lenth before. Do a search and you'll find your answers!

Comment

I didn't read the article but what the American Heart ***. says is obese is far from accurate.
      Me, Im 6' 223lbs. Yeah I could afford to lose another 10-15 but according to the standards, I should be around 190. I havemt been 190 since high skewl.
      I got nothing for now

Comment

I'm like e-man, I'm 6'2 and 220, and almost obese by those stupid charts.

I'd say the percentage of obese cops is much lower than most other professions, however the percentage of out of shape cops is probably about the same or maybe higher.

Comment

Cops reflect america in general. If the population gets fatter, so will cops. it's a percentages game.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I am 5'8 at 196. The doctor says I should be 165. Yeah right..
            "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

[QUOTE=Gulf Po Po;1820461]I am 5'8 at 196. The doctor says I should be 165. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Last edited by Nobody; 05-29-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken View Post
                Mike, this has been discussed at lenth before. Do a search and you'll find your answers!
                sorry, i'm not too good at searching, so i just checked the first page of the search thing.

turns out its on the 2nd page lol.

woops.

Comment

By the charts, when I was at my allowed military (army) weight, I was obese. That just doesn't sound quite right to me.

Comment

I think most of us could afford to lose a few pounds. Im 230 and right near 6 foot. I lift heavy in the gym right now but Yes I could lose a few pounds which IM working on. But, if you looked at me you would never say that guy is fat. I have a big frame and am a big guy. Not fat though!
                    Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken View Post
                      It always makes me laugh when the cool people point out the search function on this thing. Its even funnier when they point out the search function and say "you'll find yours answer" knowing damn well, it was discussed and no answer was ever found.

This is a new question. No answer will be found. Fat cops are just fat. Like M-11 said our fattness reflects the fattness of the population in general. Should we have fat cops? No, fatassedness causes some major problems such as excessive use of sick time, overall unhealthyfatassedness and can on occasion cause the fat cop to get made fun of. Now i dont under any circumstances condone fat cops being made fun of, but its a fact of life. Heavy cops do not demand as much respect with their command presence as say a nonfatassed cop. The general public sees a cops that doesnt take care as well as the other cops he or she works with.

This doesnt mean, at all that the fatassed cop is not good at what he or she does. It doesnt mean they should be fired, it doesnt mean they should me drawn and quartered (although we could feed a starving nation with the meat) and it doesnt mean they should be pushed out of jobs or forced into less public areas of LE like the evidence locker. it just means they should try to walk a mile or so every night after thier shift and stop eating two big macs at lunch.

If I offened anyone with my comments I dont care. Fatassed cops need loving too!
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

unhealthyfatassedness : v. to describe one who eats biscuits and gravy on a daily basis without excercise. To sit in a patrol car for 40hrs a week and believing noone will screw with you because, well, you just look so damn cool. n. A condition arising due to promotion. Example. "Wow I just got my gold shield!"
                        Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                        Might not pass an AIDS test, but HEY...they look nice in uniform.

Comment

My friend who is "obese" by BMI standards did a triathlon 2 Saturdays ago. I went to basic with "obese" people who passed their Army PT tests (42 pushups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes, 15:54 2 mile run is bare minimum to pass for my age range) just fine. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some people just have a hard time knockin' off pounds and fat because it's in their DNA I guess...but it's all about knowing what you want, pushing hard for it, and having the mental strength to stay the course. Mind over matter. Rock on fluffy fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by CH47Doc View Post
                            unhealthyfatassedness : v. to describe one who eats biscuits and gravy on a daily basis without excercise. To sit in a patrol car for 40hrs a week and believing noone will screw with you because, well, you just look so damn cool. n. A condition arising due to promotion. Example. "Wow I just got my gold shield!"
                            Nice! Wonder if Webster will bite?
                            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Your just mad because your not cool enough to be the first one to point it out. This thread is going to have the same posts as all the other threads that deal with the same thing. Why the need to have the same posts over and over again? Exactly, there isn't!

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                              It always makes me laugh when the cool people point out the search function on this thing. Its even funnier when they point out the search function and say "you'll find yours answer" knowing damn well, it was discussed and no answer was ever found.

This is a new question. No answer will be found. Fat cops are just fat. Like M-11 said our fattness reflects the fattness of the population in general. Should we have fat cops? No, fatassedness causes some major problems such as excessive use of sick time, overall unhealthyfatassedness and can on occasion cause the fat cop to get made fun of. Now i dont under any circumstances condone fat cops being made fun of, but its a fact of life. Heavy cops do not demand as much respect with their command presence as say a nonfatassed cop. The general public sees a cops that doesnt take care as well as the other cops he or she works with.

This doesnt mean, at all that the fatassed cop is not good at what he or she does. It doesnt mean they should be fired, it doesnt mean they should me drawn and quartered (although we could feed a starving nation with the meat) and it doesnt mean they should be pushed out of jobs or forced into less public areas of LE like the evidence locker. it just means they should try to walk a mile or so every night after thier shift and stop eating two big macs at lunch.

If I offened anyone with my comments I dont care. Fatassed cops need loving too!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5072 users online. 279 members and 4793 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X