300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any bikers out there?

How many of you guys ride a motorbike and what sort do you ride?
    Is it compulsory to wear a helmet everywhere as I see alot of folks don't appear to on U.S TV.

I ride an Aprillia SL1000 Falco. I've only had it a few months but boy what a beauty. Goes like the wind and the handling is superb. And as it's a V twin the exhaust note is great.

My baby FALCO
    sigpic
    Scream if you wanna go faster

I used to ride a Honda 250cc street/dirt bike when I was going to college. I already had a car, but the bike was helpful as parking spaces for cars at my college were few and far between.

I don't ride on the street anymore...too many close calls with those crazy California drivers

As far as helmets, almost all states now have helmet laws of some sort. A quick check of the Internet shows only four states (Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, and New Hampshire) have no helmet laws whatsoever. 20 states (including mine, California) have mandatory helmet requirements for all riders. The rest require helmets for some, but not for others.

(Note: the above may not be 100% accurate for 2002, but it gives you an idea of US helmet laws.)

Comment

Last I looked, I had two Sportsters, a '69 CH and a '70 H. Both are close to original. Neither was more than 2 years old when I bought them in factory trim. The '69 is extended a bit w/a lot of chrome bits. The '70 is more subdued. Both have 16" rears, 18" fronts, slightly chopped fenders, and cleaner than stock exhausts. There's a solo seat and pillion on the CH and a more comfortable seat on the H. I guess there are about 6 boxes of spare parts to go with them both. The stuff just accumulates over time.

I haven't been on either in over 5 years now. They sit under tarps and gather dust in my garage. Just can't part with 'em, though. I've come to think of them more as art than transportation.

If I ever take up riding again, I believe I'd like something smooth and comfortable. Those words just aren't used when describing the feel of an old Sportster. I'm really drawn to those new BMWs.

Comment

I ride a 1995 BMW R1100GS which I bought new a year before I was married. I knew I would probably be my last new motorcycle for a long time. 8 years and three kids later I've still managed to hold onto it. I don't ride as much as I used to but I still put a couple of hundred miles a month on it.

One of the new Aprilla twins (not sure if it was the Falco or the Mille) just drove past me this a.m. Sure sounded nice

Vehicle safety laws such as seatbelt and helmet laws vary from state to state in the U.S. Here in California all riders must wear a helmet on the street and when riding off road on public grounds.
        If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Dinosaur:
          Last I looked, I had two Sportsters, a '69 CH and a '70 H. Both are close to original.

I'm impressed, Dino. Although I'd NEVER get on another bike, I've always been fond of them. Love the sweet sound of a Harley.

Comment

I ride. I have two bikes at the moment. Both Honda Shadows. One is pretty much set up for touring- bags, windshield, etc. The other is stripped down- I'm doing some custom stuff to it, tho I seem to keep losing focus.

My dream is to build a Harley clone or get a Road King. Maybe someday.

Helmets- not required in CT if you're over 18. Most times I wear one, but sometimes no.

I belong to the Blue Knights, a Law Enforcement MC club- there are chapters worldwide. Depending on the chapter, it can be a good time.

[ 08-29-2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: 209 ]
            "All the people like us are we,
            And everyone else is They"

Comment

web page

Suppose to be the current helmet laws in the States.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Sig220Man:
                [QB]

I don't ride on the street anymore...too many close calls with those crazy California drivers

QB]

Sig- I know what you mean. The worst MC accident I ever had was in CA.

[ 08-29-2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: 209 ]

Comment

quote:
                  Sig- I know what you mean. The worst MC accident I ever had was in CA.

You said sometimes you don't wear a helmet when you ride. Did you have one on when you were in an accident in CA, how many MC accidents have you been in, and since you've already been in an accident, wouldn't that make you want to wear a helmet all the more?

After my MC accident (broken pelvis bone, months on cruthches, dislocated shoulder, scrapes all over the left side, and my fave pair of jeans that had to be cut off), I will NEVER ride again. I'm just thankful I'm alive.

Comment

I see that most of you folks prefer the `cruiser` type of bike. I guess that you have the better weather (most of the time) and alot more long straight roads which cruisers are more suited to. Here in the UK the vast majority of roads are in a very poor state indeed, always clogged with traffic, the weather is [email protected](especially on my rest days )
                    I rode a `Fat Boy` a few years back and scrapped the pegs going around a roundabout and I was hardly leaning. The owner was none to impressed to say the least [Eek!]
                    A friend af mine had an accident years ago where he came off, slid along the road, bounced up the kerb and ended up going through a shop window. He was wearing jeans and he said that the pain of the nurse removing each burnt in thread was incredible. However, the worst bit was that he was on his way to a date with his girl and was wearing a yellow rubber thong as a surprise for her. He said the look on the nurses face as she cut of his jeans was priceless
                    sigpic
                    Scream if you wanna go faster

Comment

NEVER, Krimpet?

I was all set to dismantle and clean the carbureutor, pull the side cases and unfreeze the clutch plates, reset the timing and valves, pop in a new rotor and capacitor, get new plugs, replace the dry rotted tires and tubes, retune the wheel spokes, drain and refill the oil tank, buy a new battery and chain, push some graphite through the cable sheaths, simi-chrome the shiny stuff, buff the paint, push all 500 lbs to the nearest cycle shop to get an inspection, purchase some insurance, fill up the gas tank, and take you for a ride.

I'm distraught!

Comment

My current ride a 1990 BMW K1 I bought it last year because 1.The kid needed money college, 2.It only had 5,000 mi. on it, & 3.BMW only made 6,921 of them. I currently wear a Shuberth Concept helmet even though CT is not helmet mandatory.
                        My previous bikes were:

1985 BMW K100RT - Rear-ended in a hit and run on I-684 in NY. Also found out the Schuberth System II helmet works and that Belstaff apparel can survive a 70mph+ crash by not the sissors of an EMT.
                        Then there was the 1977 BMW R100RS & R100S Prior to that.
                        My first bike was a 1972 Honda CB750 with a heavily modified enginge an ARD magneto, Dual 40DCOE Webers, Read-Titan bodywork and rearsets.
                        " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

quote:
                          NEVER, Krimpet?

ONLY if you promise to go slow and not take me on 95. One other stipulation...we'd have to cruise to the shore. Think you could handle that? [Wink]

Comment

quote:
                            I was all set to dismantle and clean the carbureutor, pull the side cases and unfreeze the clutch plates, reset the timing and valves, pop in a new rotor and capacitor, get new plugs, replace the dry rotted tires and tubes, retune the wheel spokes, drain and refill the oil tank, buy a new battery and chain, push some graphite through the cable sheaths, simi-chrome the shiny stuff, buff the paint, push all 500 lbs to the nearest cycle shop to get an inspection, purchase some insurance, fill up the gas tank, and take you for a ride.

You would do all that for me? I feel so special now.

Comment

Down a shore? I'm up for it, Krimpet!

I haven't had the chance to go surf fishing yet this year. Think you could hold my rod and manage not to fall off?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5947 users online. 337 members and 5610 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X