Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Says California Doesn't Have Great Pensions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Says California Doesn't Have Great Pensions?

Using the public records act, California Pension Reform, a watchdog group, has obtained a list of all retired public employees receiving pensions from CalPERS that are over $100,000 per year and published them on an internet database. It seems there are 4,818 retirees that hold this distinction, with the highest pension being $499,678.84 per year, which translates to $41,639.57 per month.

If you want to take a peek and see who is making the big bucks, check out http://californiapensionreform.com/CalPERS/ It allows you to search by agency or by name.

Puli, are you on it?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    ...the highest pension being $499,678.84 per year, which translates to $41,639.57 per month...
    http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0226/104.html

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Puli, are you on it?
      I should be, but they missed me!!! (Probably too many from my employing agency. )

Bunch of jealous Adam Henrys! I'm sure they could have decided to go into our line of work in 1975 like I did, but felt being in "civil service" was beneath them. Well, we all make our decisions don't we?

Here's another "heartrending" tale from Forbes! It's about how much money the "world's billionaires" lost in the economic down turn. (Pardon me, while I dry my weeping eyes.)

"The richest people in the world have gotten poorer, just like the rest of us. This year the world's billionaires have an average net worth of $3 billion, down 23% in 12 months. The world now has 793 billionaires, down from 1,125 a year ago."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/11/wor...ires_land.html
      Last edited by pulicords; 05-02-2009, 12:08 AM.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
        How come they never understand that?
        Too busy crying over the fact they didn't save money instead of continually rolling it over into risky investments (to make higher profits). When those with millions or billions whine about their losses (while still "living large"), it's kinda tough to feel sorry for them.

I might have been a "public servant" (they love those words), but I entered into contracts with the public and performed exactly as required. I may have been a servant, but I wasn't a slave and payment is due buddy! Payment is due.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

All I know is that I have no worries of ever being named on that list! I may not make a lot of money, but I sleep well at night knowing my service was honest and above board. No regrets!!!

I am certain there are a number of you out there who are in the same boat.

Thanks to all of you for your dedication and service. Prayers for a long and healthy retirement.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I got my retirement check yesterday from LA County and I'm as happy as a pig in slop. Imagine getting paid to go flyfishing 2 weeks a month.
            Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
              The guy with the $500k yearly pension was the city administrator of Vernon. I have to say, that is one heck of a pension. He probably pays 50%+ of that in state and federal income taxes.
              Why would you assume that the Vernon city administrator would pay his taxes?
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                Why would you assume that the Vernon city administrator would pay his taxes?
                Because he's not a member of the Obama administration?

Comment

To be a member of the Obama administration, he would have had to pay his taxes -- after being nominated, of course.

Voter Fraud Investigation Uncovers Sex Crimes
                  LOS ANGELES (CBS) ―

John Malburg was the dean of students at Daniel Murphy Catholic High School, a now-defunct Fairfax district school, when he sexually molested one boy and videotaped another for a sexually explicit tape, prosecutor Richard Taklender told The L.A. Times.

* Vernon Mayor's Son Accused Of Molesting Boys (11/16/2006)
                  * Archdiocese: D.A. Advises Parents Not Be Notified (11/19/2006)
                  * Vernon Mayor Charged With Political Corruption (11/16/2006)

The 40-year-old son of the longtime mayor of the city of Vernon was sentenced to eight years in prison for sex crimes discovered by prosecutors investigating voter fraud charges against the mayor and his family, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

John Malburg was the dean of students at Daniel Murphy Catholic High School, a now-defunct Fairfax district school, when he sexually molested one boy and videotaped another for a sexually explicit tape, sex crimes prosecutor Richard Taklender told The Times.

The sex crime came to light when public corruption investigators stumbled across it while probing possible elections fraud in Vernon, a gritty and compact Southern California industrial city that was incorporated by Malburg's ancestors three generations ago, and tightly controlled by them ever since.

A public corruption case is pending against Malburg, his father, Vernon Mayor Leonis Malburg, 80, his mother, Dominica, 83, and city administrator Bruce Malkenhorst Sr., The Times reported. The probe includes allegations that they illegally spent the city's money on personal items, including massages, golf outings, meals and political contributions.

The senior Malburg has served on Vernon's City Council for more than 50 years and his grandfather, John Baptiste Leonis, founded the tiny municipality, which was developed as industrial buildings and remains a secretive, closed public-private enterprise.

Malburg was sentenced Friday after one of his victims, now an Iraqi war veteran, took the opportunity to address the court. According to The Times, the veteran's mother cried, saying Malburg had been a father figure to her son, between 10 and 15 at the time of the assault.

A pretrial hearing in the corruption case is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

The Associated Press
                  Posted: 04/30/2009 04:39:09 PM PDT
                  Updated: 04/30/2009 04:39:10 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—The adult son of the mayor of Vernon has pleaded no contest to charges he voted in city elections without living in the city.

Los Angeles County prosecutors say 40-year-old John Joseph Malburg was charged with conspiracy, voter registration fraud and perjury.

He was sentenced Thursday to two years in prison, to be served concurrently with another sentence for sexual abuse.

His father, Mayor Leonis Malburg, and his mother are charged with voter fraud and go to trial July 2.

Prosecutors say the couple lived in Los Angeles but claimed they lived in a small apartment in Vernon, a 5-square-mile industrial city with fewer than 100 residents.

Deputy District Attorney Max Huntsman says the family planned for Malburg to follow in his father's footsteps and become mayor, but the no-contest plea to perjury bars him from holding public office.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I would like to see the study on the average life-span after retirement of public servants.

I'd be willing to bet that many in the most stressful types of jobs have a shorter life-span, not to mention chronic pain from work related injuries.
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Good thing my County retirement isn't in CalPERS
                      LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

I have read several reports that the average lifespan of a police officer/correctional officer is around 57-59. The average male lifespan in the US is in the upper 70's. Everybody complains about high pensions for those that have put in 30+ years, but where is the outrage over the loss of 15+ years of our life due to job related issues.

I also didnt hear much about the pension issue when the economy was booming and 25 year old mortgage brokers were pulling in 200,000.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                          I would like to see the study on the average life-span after retirement of public servants.

I'd be willing to bet that many in the most stressful types of jobs have a shorter life-span, not to mention chronic pain from work related injuries.
                          There is a study....not good results. That's why we can retire earlier than most folks..

I don't understand those who work in LE for 30-35 years for 100% of their pension and die before they cash the first check.

Our plan is to out live their study results, live on their money and die at a really old age.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Stay in shape, manage stress and don't make the job your whole life. Cops in the past died so young after retirement because they were very often fat, sedentary, out-of-control stress, heavy smokers, heavy drinkers and worn out because they let the job eat them up. We need to be the generation to stop that. Staying in shape is easy if you care about yourself, and stress management is easy, too.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post

I was told in my academy in California that the average age at death for retired LEO's is 57.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                              - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3643 users online. 250 members and 3393 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X