300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Down Lights Y or N

How many here use the takedown lights on their barlights? We are still using the older Whelen Edge strobe bars and my takedowns are useless. i never use them at all. I ask this question because today I added some front strobes to my barlight and had to remove the front flashers to make room, but thought maybe I could just take out the takedowns since I dont use them.

any ideas?

frank
    YES on every stop
    51.64%
    NOPE they are a waste of my time
    13.11%
    Sometimes
    35.25%
    If you put bacon on bacon it actually makes bacon better

Not with our current lightbars. On my old Code-3 bar the takedowns were awesome. Very helpful since we didn't have spotlights on the pillars. I used the takedowns and alleys all the time.

On the new LED bars the takedowns are useless and the alleys are just as bad. Good luck seeing anything beyond a few feet from the lights. Thank god my new agency has spotlights for stops and checking out those dark nooks.

Wish I had solid takedowns and spotlights. That would make me a happy guy.

Comment

Our takedowns and alley lights on our Code-3 LED bars are bright but the takedowns are useless unless you are a good 30ish or more feet behind the car as they are aimed too high.

Comment

Every time I use the takedown light I forget to turn it off.
        "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

I got in the habit of parking at an angle due to dept policy, so my takedowns are useless. That said, I do use my spotlight in the appropriate manner.
          Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Use takedowns AND the spotlight here on a 2004ish Code 3 LED light bar...
            sigpic
            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

We use them if we are using a car with a bar light. However, on the Whelen LED bars we use, they are useless. Also pointed too high. Great for SUV's but horrible for cars.

Comment

+ Takedowns
                + Spotlight
                + High beams

Parking at an angle reduces the effectiveness of the takedowns and high beams... but I still do it to build a wall of light.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                  + Takedowns
                  + Spotlight
                  + High beams

Parking at an angle reduces the effectiveness of the takedowns and high beams... but I still do it to build a wall of light.
                  +1,000 on this post. I'm a STOPS instructor and I hammer this fact into the officers.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

so even if they are not effective as a light souce into the vehicle it is still good to use them as a source of blinding light for the driver......ok i am good with that, it makes sense to me.
                    If you put bacon on bacon it actually makes bacon better

Comment

Using takedown lights is very effective at blinding oncoming drivers if you angle your patrol car just a bit.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                        Our takedowns and alley lights on our Code-3 LED bars are bright but the takedowns are useless unless you are a good 30ish or more feet behind the car as they are aimed too high.

Can the lights in the lightbar or the bar itself be adjusted in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          Can the lights in the lightbar or the bar itself be adjusted in any way?
                          Beats me. If they were pointed down my plastic alligator thats stuck under my lightbar would cast a sweet shadow tho

Comment

Who works at night?? Takedowns dont work that well during the day...

Comment

I don't use mine because I always forget to turn them off when done with a traffic stop.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3757 users online. 259 members and 3498 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X