300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Soldiers

I don't know if Dog Soldiers is being released in the US but if it is I recommend going to see it. It's a werewolf film and is absolutley brilliant. i wnet to see it last night and laughed my *** off.

If your in the UK go and see it now.

Mac
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-26-2003, 08:32 AM.

Comment

'Werewolves'??? LOL

'Dog Soldiers', IIRC, were Cheyenne warriors, whose job it was to fight 'delaying tactics' against an enemy while the main camp escaped....the 'bravest of the brave', so to speak.

I have a print of a 'dog soldier', by H.R. Peter(249/2000), above my bed. Words can't describe it.
      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Shooter,

People here have no idea what a Dog Soldier is, and that they still exist. I would guess the English have even less understanding.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod:
          I don't know if Dog Soldiers is being released in the US but if it is I recommend going to see it. It's a werewolf film and is absolutley brilliant. i wnet to see it last night and laughed my *** off.

If your in the UK go and see it now.

Mac
          The title confuses me, could you relate a little preview of the film for me?

Jim Burnes

Comment

Uh, Jim, shouldn't you say SOME people...... a lot of us DO know who the Dog Soldiers were.

Comment

Jim,

Did you just call me English ?

'cos if you did I take offence.

Mac
              Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Uh oh,

Sorry about that to Nitshift and to Mc,
                that was making way too broad a statement. I have to be a little more concise in my writings.

Certainly there are a large number of people who know what functions the Dog Soldiers fulfilled, and that it is a society which still exists.

I made a bad error in ID a man of Scotland as English! Certainly any civilized man understands the difference and can abide the greater of the two

James Burnes
                Cherokee descentant of Alexander Burnes

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Burnes:
                  Uh oh,

Sorry about that to Nitshift and to Mc,
                  that was making way too broad a statement. I have to be a little more concise in my writings.

Jim if you are like I am, the later it gets, the less sense ANYTHING makes, let alone my posts!

OK, you have teased us "uninlightened" folks about the dog soldiers. Would you mind now telling us what they are?
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don,

Sure thing, but Shooter already laid it out.

The Dog Soldiers are a society of Cheyenne men whose duty it was to erect a last line of defense against assaults from other people.

Every Cheyenne male was a warrior of course, but the Dog Soldiers were the elite. The men taken into that society wore a long colorful sash and an arrow. Only when the situation was in dire straits, when the famlies fleeing were about to be over run despite the efforts of the warriors, would the sash be used.

The Dog Soldiers would then place themselves between the families and the attackers, tie the sash to their waist and with the arrow stake themselves to the ground. From that position, they would not move and would fight the attackers to the death.

Once they were staked out, only another person could remove the arrow from the ground. Dog Soldiers were men who considered themselves to be dead men from the day they were taken into the society.

American and Spanish fighters discovered that such Cheyenne warriors could not move from their staked positions, and so they just rode around them and fought the families, which puzzled the Dog Soldiers and the whole Cheyenne nation for that matter.

However, other indian nations warriors would cease their assaults and go directly into hand to hand combat with the staked men. One or the other would die, but the honors would go to both warriors.

Modern Dog Soldiers societies are role models for endurance and pride.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Thanks for that tidbit of info Jim. I think you just explained the irony in the title of Robert Stone's book Dog Soldiers.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: THE BRONZE ]

Comment

I'd guess the overseas producers of the film will change the title before showing it in America.

Film makers do that name change thing all the time.

Jim Burnes

Comment

BTW Jim, I just saw the previews for the Nick Cage movie about WW2 code talkers. I'll be interested in hearing your take on the film.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim!
                            6P1 (retired)

Comment

Here you go, so that you may better understand: http://members.fortunecity.com/gwolf2/dogsoldier.html
                              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4465 users online. 247 members and 4218 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X