Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops kill B'klyn man

Cops kill B'klyn man

Vagrant shot while waving toy gun on Bed-Stuy street Policeman stands next to toy gun

Medics tend to Ernest Prather, a homeless man who was shot and killed in Brooklyn yesterday.

Cops say Prather pulled toy gun on cops, who shot him during confrontation.

Two cops shot a homeless man to death in Brooklyn yesterday after he waved an object at them that turned out to be a toy gun, police said.
    The officers fired seven shots at Ernest Prather, 39, after ordering him to freeze and drop what they believed was a 9-mm. handgun, officials said.

"It was a very realistic-looking imitation Glock," a police source said.

Cops said the gun was made of black plastic with a metal tip on the barrel and that Prather had a black holster on his waistband.

"Fake guns or real guns, nobody can tell the difference," said Assistant Chief Joseph Cunneen of the Brooklyn North Strategic Tactical Command.

Prather, known in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood as The Handyman, was hit three times on the corner of Greene and Franklin Aves. and died while being taken to Woodhull Hospital, police said.

The shooting occurred about 3 p.m., shortly after Prather was involved in an altercation at the So Great a Salvation Ministry soup kitchen on Franklin Ave.

A sergeant and an officer from the 79th Precinct were sent to the scene after a woman Prather had been arguing with at the soup kitchen called 911.

When the officers arrived, they were told Prather had a gun.

The cops spotted him walking on Greene Ave. When they ordered him to stop, he reached into his waistband and pulled the gun, police said.

"The police order him to drop the gun numerous times, but he does not," cops said in a statement.

Prather then waved the gun at the officers, and they opened fire, police said. The sergeant fired four shots, and his partner fired three.

The names of the officers were not released. Cops said Prather had been arrested 16 times on a variety of charges.

Two witnesses said Prather was shot after he tried to tell the cops the gun was a toy.

"I was two stoops away from where he got shot," said Ruby Conyers, 45. "He [Prather] said he ain't got nothing but a toy gun. They opened fire and he fell to the ground."

Marcus Moore, 18, who also lives in the neighborhood, said Prather initially had the toy gun in his waistband and that he never pointed it at the cops.

Fight over juice

"The man lifted his shirt to put the gun out," Moore said. "He had the gun pointed at himself when they shot him."

Prather's wife, Laura, a volunteer at the soup kitchen, said the argument there started over juice.

Laura Prather, 45, said her husband got into an argument with a woman when he saw her helping herself to juice in the soup kitchen refrigerator.

She said the woman got upset when her husband scolded her.

"She said, 'You need to shut up. You're nothing but a bum. You need to go home and take a bath,'" Laura Prather said.

The woman Prather was arguing with later told police he followed her to a nearby coin laundry, where a male friend of hers intervened. She told police she called 911 when Prather threatened to go home to get a gun and kill them, officials said.

Laura Prather said she tried to persuade her husband to walk away. But his last words to her were, "I'm going to hurt this man."
    Be Safe Wear Your Vest

Thats what you get for pulling a toy gun on police. I think if I was in their place, the knowledge that I was never in danger of being shot would only make me hate the idiot more.

Comment

HUGE "Duh" factor, but will still be protested by the delicate sensibility types who expect us to be mindreaders

Comment

See what happens when someone brings a TOY gun to a gun fight. I think the officers were justified by the report. I wonder just how close some of those witnesses actually were.

Klar
        Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by klar:
          . I wonder just how close some of those witnesses actually were.

Klar

Klar, it would not matter if they were standing on the mans shoulders; they will never tell the truth if there is an opportunity to screw over a lawman.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Jim, blanket characterizations of people are usually not true. I know I would tell the truth about something like that.

Comment

Mike TX, You 're right. It was too general a statement, but too many times it does happen that people will insist on lying, even though the truth is plainly obvious. Their objective is just to see the officer in trouble.

I've been in that position (although not for a shooting, but for a domestic that got out of hand). The lies and half-truths that were actually told were amazing, and if true would have resulted in jail time-for me!

People will lie even when it's easier to tell the truth.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Yes you have a very valid point there Jim People will lie their asses off if they think they are going to stay out of trouble (remember growing up?) get someone else in trouble or get something that they desire.

Klar
                Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

I don't like people.

Comment

I don't either unless they are a LEO. LOL

Klar

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Burnes:
                      "Klar, it would not matter if they were standing on the mans shoulders; they will never tell the truth if there is an opportunity to screw over a lawman."

I agree that this is generally true. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by civilian witnesses a few times.

Once, I was walking a handcuffed suspect to my brand new police car. When I stopped at the rear quarter to open the door, the suspect yelled, "No, no, don't hit me!" He then slammed his head into the trunk of the police car causing a rather large dent.

Luckily, a very nice lady approached me, told me that she had seen the entire thing, and that she would be willing to testify to what had happened. Bottom line, there was no personnel complaint and the suspect was convicted of vandalism on the police car as well as the original domestic violence charge.

Comment

For a change, the bosses are backing the police in this shooting: Mayor backs police in fake gun shooting:

jjd

Comment

What was the suspect's name - Darwin?
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Wow a mayor actually backing the police? IS it cold in a nether region this day? LOL

Klar

Comment

If only he'd give them the pay raise they deserve.

S/F

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6502 users online. 364 members and 6138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X