300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Gangsters

Are you aware of gangs in your neighborhood? Do you see and recognize gangs? If you are encountered with one, what should you do?
    "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Shoot first, ask questions later.

I'm reminded of the Far Side cartoon where the one guy is asking the corpse questions, and the other guys "no, no, ask questions first, shoot later."

Or something.

Don't mind me

Comment

There were alot of gangs where I work. Fortunely, The Police are doing a great job getting rid of them. The city got a new chief two years ago. He came from N.Y., great guy! Unfortunely, they are moving to neighboring cities, which I am living in. The police in this town does an O. k. job. They're in the process of hiring a new chief. Second one in two years.
      The two big gangs are L.G.D. Latin Ganster Disciples, and The Outlaws. We also have some little gangs. mainly JR high school hoodlums who likes to see there names in paint on walls. Most of them are identified by tattoos here. Like a tattoo between the index finger and thumb.

Comment

Yes, minimally because of gang injunctions here in this city.

Yes, minimally because they don't wnat to get arrested for violating their injunctions.

I have no idea what I would do but staying out of their area is my first option.
        "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
        --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

we have 2 gangs in town, both OMCG, the Road Knights and the Devils Henchmen.
          Henchmen are much older than the RK and keep a very low profile, getting locked up is "bad for business"
          The RK are much younger and so get locked up for minor street offences a lot more.
          Both are involved in organised crime, esp drugs.
          I ignore them off duty, and target them on duty, its all good.
          allblacks.com

Comment

There are no major crimes here in Fairfax County, Virginia. It's nothing compared to populated cities like L.A. or New York or Washington D.C., which is right about 20 minutes away. I am concerned about the growth in gang members although the media nor the officials speak to the public about their awareness of these individuals. I just wanted to know and understand what YOU think of this.

Comment

MS Fish,

You are right about folks not mentioning gang activity. It might make it really hard to attract people to your area.

Northern San Diego County in the last few years has instituted many court injunctions on gang activity in at least two cities that I know of and in one of those cities it seems to be working. Of course, I am speaking as a citizen and not as an LEO. I guess it would depend on who you were talking to and their agenda on the matter.

I don't know if they have moved on to other areas but with all of the injunctions here it would be pretty difficult to be involved in gang related activity.

I guess only time willl tell!

Comment

We had The Purple Gang in my neighborhood, but that was in the 20's. The Hell's Angels are coming into the neighborhood where my summer house is...

Comment

If the officials are concerned about certain activities in a particular community, why don't they make it public? I suppose they don't want to start to a chaos as different people accept the reality of such issues differently.

There was a woman found dead in a parked car in a neighborhood, this summer, and the only thing the media said on the news is that a woman had been found dead in car. I learned that she had a gun shot wound resulting her death hence she was murdered, which was an information kept secret to the public. Upon hearing that, I was feeling uneasy about the information I learned from a LEO, reason is that I live close by to the place where the woman was found dead.

Earlier this year I saw a graffiti in my neighborhood and all of the sudden it was erased. Gave me the thought that they spotted a graffiti and erased it so that it wouldn't attract other gang members to come around.

What to do...what to do... [Frown]

Comment

Ms Fish,

I agree with you and it does seem that people are afraid of things that they don't understand.

Of course, we know that mentality creates a whole other set of problems.

Again I guess everyone has their own agenda. It is hard to say what should be done becuase it seems to be a complex problem.

Comment

quote:
                      If the officials are concerned about certain activities in a particular community, why don't they make it public?
                      Because the public are basically morons. For instance: If someone doesn't like the fact that they have too many cars going down their street, they'll **** and moan until they get a "no left turn" sign at the main street at the end of their block, thereby forcing all of that traffic down someone ELSE'S street. You tell someone they have a gang problem, and no matter how minor it is, or what neighborhood it's actually in, they're going to be a pain in the *** until they get a cop stationed on their corner, thereby depriving someone else of a cop to handle more important problems. Col. whatshisname was basically right. They can't handle the truth.

Comment

In one area, we have 'burb gangs. Nothing more than a bunch of prepubescent pukes who want to think they're tough. They take on the blue and red and use that a reason to kick each others' asses. More bark than bite, but...all it will take is a few of the older guys who linger around past high school to organize and create real problems.

For the most part, our gangs aren't involved in criminal enterprise other than grafitti (small scale) and fighting each other. There are burglars that are associated with gangs but they do their thing on their own, not under the afilliation of the gang.

Head in sand syndrome. It could be terminal to cities. The city I spoke of above had the same mind set. Maybe if we ignore it it will go away or they'll outgrow it soon. Problem is, with all the transplants from true gang areas, it doesn't take much for them to see the colors and grafitti and start worrying. The S.O. wanted to send in the gang unit and do intel and see if they could find out more about the groups and their intentions. Oh, my GOD!!! You would have thought that we had asked the IRS to come in and audit all the city council members!!! They pitched a b*** saying that there is, in no way, shape or form, a gang problem in (Utopia).

So, the city tied the S.O.'s hands (they contract LE services from the county) and now there's still a problem.

I never can remember the name of the movie, but it had Matt Dillon in it. It was set in the Cali 'burbs in like '77 or '78. All these teens went on an uprising and one of them got killed. I watched that movie on HBO several years ago and all I could tell myself is "there's Utopia (name purposely changed to protect the innocent...me!)".

Comment

I think that movie was Rumble Fish.

Comment

Police will hide the fact that there is a gang problem in the area because it makes the higher-ups look bad. At least that is how one Fairfax Co detective explained it to me.

Comment

No, not Rumble Fish. It wasn't The Outsiders, either. I'll check www.imdb.com when I get home. That's where I found it last time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4896 users online. 294 members and 4602 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X