300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 yr on job and stressing out

Not stressing out from the work but all the BS and backstabbing that goes on. Lately my department is a mess, morale is at rock bottom and everyone has a knife sticking out of their back. I get off for five days in between change of shifts every 4 weeks and get back to work to find that I am fighting with one of my friends on the force about something I know nothing about!
    People start rumors that we are fighting, that this guy did this to that guy, etc. Every shift I come in its something new and it is really stressing me out. I don't need a Sgt. or Lt. being ****ed off at me down the road when a chance for schools or promotion, etc. comes up, but it is impossible to get out of this black hole. It seems as though one simply CANNOT stay out of this crap.
    Any of you vets have any advice for a young guy? This immature BS is killing me! Thanks Franky

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. I'm not a police officer yet, so I can't really offer any advice as how to deal with your situation. I can say, hang in there and I hope it gets better.

There is a wealth of knowledge and good folks on this forum. I'm sure you will get the advice you need.

Take Care.

Comment

Ignore the stuff that doesn't involve you directly, and learn to start taking time off to get yourself away from the pressure cooker of work.

Comment

You know stuff like this is what makes LE stressful. I had a similar situation at work myself. There was this other Sergeant that kept getting in trouble for making stupid, dangerous mistakes. When he would get called on it, he would blame me! Often times saying that I told him to do it...now as you know, it isn't often that 2 same ranking officers TELL the other one what to do. I had numerous talks with this other Sgt. and told him to quit trying to get me in trouble and quit using my name to try and make his self "look better". Well, this went on forever. I got fed up with it and just ignored everything he did. I did my job and focused on what I was there to do. Eventually, his back stabbing crap became the end of him. He made a very stupid mistake that an apology or "I'm sorry, I won't do it again" could not get him out of. So, he in turn lost his job, and I continued doing my job just as I had always done. It didn't take long for the higher ups to figure out what all he had been doing and that I had no part in it. What I am trying to say is, just ignore the idiots and do your job to the best of your ability. Read and memorize your policy book and make sure you follow it, then, you will be fine. As far as stress, get used to it, it will always be there.
        Good Luck! [Wink]
        In valor there is hope - Tacitus

Comment

we got sort of a problem at my local jail, the admins keep hearing about how bad the inmates are treated(which is a lie, the inmates who get out call this place the county jail hilton) the policys keep getting more right to inmates harsher punishments for officers, there was a guy who almost got away with attacking the nurse here, needless to say he was promptly retained and if my memory servers me right ( was about a year ago) he ended up restrained to the bed, untill the nurse was done with what she had to do, about 3 days later the CO's involed were lectured for abuseing the inmate. even after he tried to attack the nurse, they got in trouble. it just seems like the commanders and admin's who make policy are more concerned about looking good politcally and don't want to deal with the lawyers that the ablitys for the CO's here to deal with problems is starting to be resticted. but i guess the administation, knows how to run a jail better than the LT, Corparls, and CO's who have worked there for years

Comment

Keep your mouth shut, mind your own business and don't kiss ***. You'll eventually get a reputation as someone who is his own man. Also, don't hang out in the area you work. For God's sake, don't DRINK in the area you work. Don't date women you work with, and don't get into politics. Don't worry about which boss likes you. It's a job, not a fraternity. If you follow the above guidelines you'll be able to advance in your department or the next one you move on to. You'll also earn the respect of the morons you work with.

Comment

Hi Franky, Frogmans experiences are much the same as mine. I have worked in a capital city station and a smaller semi rural town.
              Both places are full of politics, which is not my scene at all.
              I adopt an approach like Frogman and dont mix that much outside of work. At work I do the best I can and kept out of the gossiping etc.
              Having said that it's a bummer of a situation.
              I look at it like Im there to serve the people and that is my priority at work, anything else is a bonus.
              Smile and keep your chin up, you will find its only a few that are stirring and they will eventually go.
              allblacks.com

Comment

quote:
                Has anyone else noticed that in such enviroments the maturity level of the ones like this is very low?
                I work with a bunch that were in college together in the same fraternity and even in their 30's they act like they're back in the frat-house, not the police station.

At my PD independent thinkers and people thought of as "their own man" aren't received very well by the 'empire builders' higher up.

Yep, you're right on with that. Things in this business are sure more alike than they are different...

Comment

Franky, you've been given EXCELLENT advice here from everyone! Use it wisely, and good luck to ya!
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. I agree with everyone that Frank hit it on the head. Very sound and straightforward advice that I will try to follow. Thanks again folks...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3916 users online. 251 members and 3665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X