Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should being in LE make small crimes instafelonies?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should being in LE make small crimes instafelonies?

What I am talking about is like in my state if I get arrested with a small amount of Marijuana it is a class A mist., however if I have a firearm on me, regardless of the purpose, it becomes a felony.

How would you guys feel about laws that made your status (being able to carry guns and use force) a factor in charging you? My innate sense of fairness tells me that if you are arresting people for pot from 9 to 5 and then go home and light up, you deserve FAR worse than the guy you arrested. Of course I am not talking about minor traffic violations, turn signal is still a ticket but doing 130 MPH on the highway for fun would get you double what Joe Citizen gets since you know better.

I will admit that I do hold a little "anticop" bias (I can't help it but at least I am not trying to hide it) because of the treatment I tend to get when debating particular subjects with your brother officers but I am curious how you guys feel.

DUI/DWI is a big one. A friend of the family was a vet who joined the local dpt. He was a "good old boy" and everyone loved him. One night he had a few too many and got popped for DWI. I know the city terminated him and the rumor is the state also yanked his license. As a cop should he have also lost his right to vote and own a firearm?

Comment

I am not a officer, however, charging police instafelonies doesn't make ANY sense!!! Law enforcement is already held to a higher standard. If some Joe Citizen gets a OWI/DUI they are not fired from their job, officers are. If Joe Citizen says something, it is Freedom of Speech, if the officer says something, their department can come back on them and punish them for saying something that offended someone.

So for you to say that officers should be charged to a higher degree, I would say they are, they are DONE with their jobs if they do something that is illegal.

Fred, you make a good point, if it is instafelonies, then the officers could not own a firearm, or vote. Does that make any sense?!?!?! I don't think it does.
      Last edited by cjmajor1807; 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM.
      Originally posted by hobbsie711
      THAT WAS LIKE A TACTICAL #%#^&$# SLAP!!!
      "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother F****R in the valley."--My Ex-Explorer Advisor!

Comment

Originally posted by cjmajor1807 View Post
        I am not a officer, however, charging police instafelonies doesn't make ANY sense!!! Law enforcement is already held to a higher standard. If some Joe Citizen gets a OWI/DUI they are not fired from their job, officers are. If Joe Citizen says something, it is Freedom of Speech, if the officer says something, their department can come back on them and punish them for saying something that offended someone.

So for you to say that officers should be charged to a higher degree, I would say they are, they are DONE with their jobs if they do something that is illegal.
        Actually a whole heck of a lot of blue collar people would be looking for a new job. I know where I work driving is required and their insurance will not cover anyone with a DUI/DWI. Personally I think for cops that is what they trade off for us as a society to trust them to use force.

I am personally not big on many of the "instafelonies" because a lot of them presume motive. Like my example with the gun, if I am a normal citizen of my state carrying a concealed firearm I doing so to protect myself and family, however if I have less than an ounce of pot with me I am now a gang banger who will only use the gun for crime?

Comment

Originally posted by fredeasy View Post

I am personally not big on many of the "instafelonies" because a lot of them presume motive. Like my example with the gun, if I am a normal citizen of my state carrying a concealed firearm I doing so to protect myself and family, however if I have less than an ounce of pot with me I am now a gang banger who will only use the gun for crime?
          Watch this very carefully, note the guy with the joint and gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

An ounce of pot is a lot, sheesh, a half-ounce of pot is a lot.
          "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

That's the price they pay for being an officer!!! WHAT!?!?!?!

You know nothing, you have no problem throwing officers under the bus when they do something wrong. Do you honestly believe that officers aren't human, and make mistakes like everyone else? I am not saying that OWI is a mistake, because I do not believe in cutting ANYONE slack when it comes to OWI, I believe any officer caught driving under the influence should be fired.
            Originally posted by hobbsie711
            THAT WAS LIKE A TACTICAL #%#^&$# SLAP!!!
            "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother F****R in the valley."--My Ex-Explorer Advisor!

Comment

Last edited by MO Trooper; 04-04-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

What I am talking about is like in my state if I get arrested with a small amount of Marijuana it is a class A mist., however if I have a firearm on me, regardless of the purpose, it becomes a felony.
                There's a simple solution here - are you seeing it? No? Then put down the joint, wait a while, and reread your post. Maybe it will start to look like the work of a moron to you. Then again, maybe not. Maybe I'm the moron for not smoking dope.
                If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

That is because of Sate Law and has nothing to do with Law Officers. They must follow the law when execution an arrest. If the law says it is a felony, you will be charged with such; if the law says it is a MISDEMEANOR, again, you will be charged with such. Don't blame the LEOs for the error of your ways!

How would you guys feel about laws that made your status (being able to carry guns and use force) a factor in charging you? My innate sense of fairness tells me that if you are arresting people for pot from 9 to 5 and then go home and light up, you deserve FAR worse than the guy you arrested.

Your inate sense of fainess is wrong. Any officer caught using an illegal drug would immediately lose his/her job and be prosecuted for the crime. That is far worse than what you would receive in most instances.

Of course I am not talking about minor traffic violations, turn signal is still a ticket but doing 130 MPH on the highway for fun would get you double what Joe Citizen gets since you know better.

Again, if found that an officer is abusing the law for "FUN" would be drastic when it comes to prosecution by his/her agency.

I will admit that I do hold a little "anticop" bias (I can't help it but at least I am not trying to hide it) because of the treatment I tend to get when debating particular subjects with your brother officers but I am curious how you guys feel.
                  I feel you are in this forum to vent your illogical theories and try to find out just how inept your issues appear. Just like the rest of humanity, law enforcement has its culls, but greater than 99% of those who take an oath and wear that badge, do so with pride, integrity, professionalism, dedication and without fear or favor.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great life!!!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

DUI/DWI is a big one. A friend of the family was a vet who joined the local dpt. He was a "good old boy" and everyone loved him. One night he had a few too many and got popped for DWI. I know the city terminated him and the rumor is the state also yanked his license. As a cop should he have also lost his right to vote and own a firearm?
                    Would you want anybody to lose their right to vote and own a firearm after this?

Explain to me why your sense of fairness states that what officers do on their own time should be held to a higher standard then the rest of the population?

Comment

The entire basis of our nation's government is the concept that everyone is supposed to be treated equally!

Comment

instafelony? might be the dumbest thing i've heard in quite some time. please take this garbage of an idea elsewhere

Comment

I know of no cops that are going to put their lively hood on the the line for smoking pot. Not only dealing with the devil to get it what happens when they are in a shooting, auto accident or something that become s"big news" and they have to submit to a drug screen as policy states? come on ask smart questions, biased or not. (then again smoking pot kills brain cells)

losing the right to vote is a consequence TIED to the actions. If my memory serves me correctly when your completed with that time given these rights are restored. so its not a gone for good right.....

Now the fire arm, every one knows that guns go with drugs and intox shooting is a great way to try to say Its not my fault.
                          killing is killing and if you intoxicated manslaughter is still a dead person due to your actions meaning to or not.
                          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                          Oscar Wilde

Comment

simple solution:don't light up joints or do things that you know are against the law. worry about what you can control, and let the 1% of dirty leo's make his/her own bed.

don't act like such a jackass when dealing with police then your experiences with them will be a little more positive. period.

be safe out there.
                            fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Comment

Sure, make them instafelonies, since most good officers have high regard for the law so it won't matter anyways.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5228 users online. 284 members and 4944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X