X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatch SNAFUs......

'411/Dispatch...'

'Go ahead 411'

'10-81 with a late model white Chevy pickup in Jim's parking lot. No visible tag.'

'10-4'

I exit my car and approach the pickup, scanning the interior of the bed, watching the driver, etc.

'Dispatch/411....'

'Go ahead'

'Do NOT approach that vehicle!'

I hastily renter my car, eyes on driver...

'411/Dispatch.....is there a BOLO you need to tell me about?!'

'Dispatch/411.....10-4'

You gotta love it.....
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

So, what happened next???
    "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Comment

What is BOLO? Sorry to be ingnorant...
      When you see what is right, have the courage to do it. - Chinese proverb.

Comment

quote:
        What is BOLO?
        Be On the Look Out.

I like the ones where you go 10-50 (our traffic stop) and wait for central to acknowledge. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they assume that you that they know what you said. Then, once you don't get the reply, you start approaching the car only to have the night silence broken by "can you 10-9 (repeat) you location? So and So Street and Whatever Blvd doesn't cross (when you plainly said Such and Such Street and Wherever Blvd.)". Meanwhile, you're halfway up to the car and someone inside's not paying ag******edtention!

Comment

Our signal is 10-11, and sometimes I can't even get the dispatcher's attention in the amount of time it would take me to go up to the vehicle, get the documents and get back to the car. Of course NOT calling in the stop BEFORE I get out of my car is against everything that I was taught on my officer-safety course in April!

I am not sure if it is a problem of the age of our communication system (equipment is 26+ years old), too few operators on per shift, or the fact that we have one commcentre for a Province the size of Texas with a population of less than 1 million.

Thank God for mobile work stations!
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Our dispatchers are terrible. Most of them try, but some just are inept. They aren't even close to ept. It's amazing how much information they bungle, neglect to get from RPs, or the cross streets they give for addresses. It was much better when our agency had our own dispatchers, in our headquarters building and they only dispatched our agency. Now they work for a countywide dispatch authority and rotate agencies constantly, and many of them aren't familiar with most of the rural roads in our area.

My wife has instructions that if I am killed and did not have backup present, to immediately hire a lawyer and seize the dispatch tapes.

I used to complain, write memos to the Lt. who is the dispatch liasion, and he would take the complaints to the dispatch supervisors. They would always cover up the issue, say it was being addressed by training and nothing has ever changed. I have written commendations for dispatchers who excelled at their job, so I am being fair to them. There is just no point in trying to get anything changed anymore because no one who is in a position to do anything cares about the working cops.

[ 08-27-2002, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: ateamer ]
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

ateamer, your experience is why I (who started his LE career in dispatch) am so opposed to "consolidating" dispatch resources.

Yeah it saves the agencies a bunch of money to pool resources, but quality most definitely suffers.

For one thing, a good dispatcher has to know his/her geography well. Sometimes all you'll get from an RP is the name of a landmark or business, and that's it. If an officer is in foot pursuit, sometimes that's all he/she can broadcast. A dispatcher who is unfamiliar with the territory (whether from being inept, new, or having to work for multiple agencies) is going to have a rough time in this job.

I've talked to LAPD dispatchers (and police officers too) who, because the City of LA is so spread out, didn't even recognize that certain suburbs were part of their area

Plus, when a dispatcher works for more than one agency, he/she has to remember the quirks of each. Just learning the quirks of ONE is bad enough...

Comment

You all keep this up and I might not want to be a dispatcher here in this large metro area that I live in LOL

Klar
                Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

The BOLO was regarding a kidnapping incident that had ocured earlier in a city just across the state line. The suspect had kidnapped his wife at gunpoint. The truck was a white Chevy, with a construction company's logo on the doors. NOT the truck I stopped.
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Well, they did it again last night. We have three distinct geographic regions in our county. In the Central area, there was a stabbing at a party. Everyone central was tied up on it, but up in the mountains where I patrol, there was nothing. Well, at 3:35 AM, I get dispatched to an alarm which had come in two hours earlier. Dispatch's excuse for the delay was due to the emergency down central. Everytime something big happens in one area, the rest of the county gets put on hold because they can't handle two channels going at once. We are told to stay off the air, even though the incident is on the secondary channel. I had to call my beat partner on the car-to-car channel to announce my car stops. And also made about four stops where I couldn't even call him.

Earlier in the evening, they put out a BOL for a "311, armed robbery". Fellow Cali officers, is a 311 like a really major 211? Or did that rock group 311 just rip someone off? Not only did she say it once, she called it a 311 at least once more. Wow, now I really have confidence that I'm being sent to the right address and that they are really running the license plate I called in.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have a new dispatcher 'in training', currently. A couple of weeks ago, I went '10-7' at the end of the shift. A few minutes later...'Uhhh....10-4'.

Comment

Shooter- I KNOW how you feel. Had a traffic stop, dispatch tells me valid/no hits. Complete the stop and call in I'm clear. Two minutes later, dispatch tells me to come to the PD for "more info". Of course the driver had a warrant out on him. I had words with the dispatcher, pretty much of the "Why are you trying to kill me?" type.

End result- I was called on the carpet for being rude to her. The fact that those things happen regularly around my place isn't the issue. The "inappropiate" response the officers have is the problem. Out of the 8 dispatchers we have, I trust three. When the others are dispatching, I try to keep everything simple and very clear-cut.
                        "All the people like us are we,
                        And everyone else is They"

Comment

dispatch: Motor 88, respond to location "X" for a report of suspicious persons. Caller states passengers of a _____ vehicle, bearing California license plate ________ are not capable of driving the vehicle.

Motor 88: 10-4, enroute.

Car 811: I'm also enroute.

*** time goes by ***

Car 811: Car 811 on-scene ... 10-29 a license plate.

Dispatch: Go ahead.

Car 811: California registration _______ (*same plate given by dispatch)

Dispatch: 10-4, stand-by.

Dispatch: Car 811, 10-75, 10-99.

*** so, the tag dispatch had, and had given us, returns to a stolen vehicle ***

The plot thickens. I arrive on-scene. The passengers (2 of them) are passed out, one with a crack-pipe in her hand, and both with crack in their pockets ...

I would HOPE that from now on, dispatch would think to run the license plate given to them BEFORE giving it to us, or at least before we arrive ...
                          I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Comment

well i never clamed to be the best dispatcher in the world and i have made plenty of mistakes but shooter1201/411 needs to learn how to key up the radio before speaking.

Comment

BITE ME

Is THAT what that little button on the side of the mic is for? DUH! MY car radio works fine....but dispatch's console SUCKS.

[ 08-30-2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2535 users online. 118 members and 2417 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X