300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Year Old Warrant Active

I wonder if they will find this guy. This one is out of East Tennessee.

The Carter County Sheriff's Department is trying to serve an 80-year-old warrant for the arrest of a man who wrote a $30 bad check, although unsure if he is alive.

The warrant, issued in August 1928, calls for the arrest of J.A. Rowland. It says he owes $30 for the bad check, $2 for the arrest fee and 50 cents each for the affidavit and warrant.

Clerks at the Glynn County Sheriff's Office in Brunswick, Ga., recently found the warrant buried in a records storage room while cleaning and mailed it to Tennessee.

Current Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes told The Elizabethton Star he is still under a legal obligation to find Rowland.
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79401
    The Associated Press
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Sounds like a huge waste of resources.

Comment

The fee is now $40, but the sheriff or constable would only be authorized the $2 fee if served.

Comment

Wow, that one is really funny.

I think obligation to try to serve the warrant means an officer shouting "Anyone named J.A. Rowland here?" at the station house. When no one answers, the officer then sends it to a local museum or historical society.
        The Blog: Slam Dunks

Comment

So if they guy was ten years old when he wrote the check, he's only ninety now. What a waste of time.

Comment

They should drive by some local cemetaries. I wonder if they find him there if the judge would allow it to be served by attaching it to the headstone.

Comment

Current Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes told The Elizabethton Star he is still under a legal obligation to find Rowland.
              Sheriff Mathes is an idiot if he is really considering wasting resources on this. It should be a talking point in the next election.
              David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

This is stupid. The guy is probably dead, and the sheriff is going to waste time, money, and deputies to confirm it. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by catch um and ba View Post
                  This is stupid. The guy is probably dead, and the sheriff is going to waste time, money, and deputies to confirm it. Idiots.
                  Even if the guy's still alive, the statute of limitations on the original crime is almost certainly expired. Farking bureaucrats.
                  sigpic
                  Don't make me gassy.
                  You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

They should check out the Tennessee General Assembly resolutions to see if the guy was presented a resolution for reaching 100 years of age.

Comment

I think they're also gonna have problems with the "freshness" of the warrant seeing as how it's for a minor offense and sat buried in a storage room for (obviously) quite some time with no attempt to serve (re-fresh) it.

Publicity stunt, and as others have stated, complete waste of resource.

- V

Comment

Originally posted by ComicGuy View Post
                        Even if the guy's still alive, the statute of limitations on the original crime is almost certainly expired. Farking bureaucrats.
                        Actually the SOL runs from offense date to the date he is charged. If he has a warrant out I assume he was charged. In any event, regardless of the SOL, they are SOL.

"Current Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes told The Elizabethton Star he is still under a legal obligation to find Rowland".
                        Bravo Sierra. He has the full discretion to dismiss that warrant.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

The Carter County Sheriff's Department is trying to serve an 80-year-old warrant for the arrest of a man who wrote a $30 bad check, although unsure if he is alive.

Off topic: I wonder what $30-80 years ago equates to $$ now-a-days

On topic: This case is a no brainer... must be a slow county
                          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Carter County is kinda of a mixed bag. It has very rural mountian areas to a mid size town as the county seat. A small portion of Johnson City lies in Carter County. Tennessee has many two and some three county towns. So it is a mix.

Comment

$30 is a God-send for governments today!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2317 users online. 151 members and 2166 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X