300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Light /red coating

Our dome light covers are still clear plastic with a white light. Obviously this is not acceptable. I know that there is a product out there that you can use to coat the inside of the light cover to make your existing dome light a more tactical red light. Thanks for any information.

Originally posted by creek View Post
    Our dome light covers are still clear plastic with a white light. Obviously this is not acceptable. I know that there is a product out there that you can use to coat the inside of the light cover to make your existing dome light a more tactical red light. Thanks for any information.
    Red lens tape like for a broken tail light. On the inside.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Red evidence tape works well for the high-tech redneck in these parts. There is also a red lens cover and rubber gasket you can get from any autoparts store. This is what I did.
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Red paint, red vinyl tape, and thin cardboard ... I've done them all with our lights. All work well. Without any of the above, you could use the light to get a suntan.

The bulb will get HOT if it is on for long periods of time, so the vinyl tape may melt a bit.

Comment

Red Interior Lighting

Just get a patrol car that is a 2003 or later. It should have the huge police-issue dome light with a rocker switch that turns on a red light if you click it to the left - and a white light if you turn it towards the right.

For the older dome lights that only have only the "on" or "off" position, using red tape may be your only other option. If you really want one, get your department mechanic to order & install one for you. They're fairly reasonable and you can purchase them from Gall's, etc.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Red spray paint is the way to go... on the inside of course.

Comment

I've even seen red paper/post its on the inside of the lense.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Last edited by Huey County; 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM.
                Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Bulb condoms! They sell them in the lighting aisle at most autoparts places like Autozone, Pepboys, NAPA etc.

Comment

You can also find red LED replacements for many of the common incandescent bulb styles now.

It'd be worth it to never have to replace a bulb in one of those lamps again.

Comment

This is clear model car paint. It will work good for it, just brush it on. http://www.policecarmodels.com/clearredpaint.html
                      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

do all you guys prefer red? red hurts my eyes after awhile. i prefer green or blue. my car has the dome that's white and red w/ the toggle switch. i was thinking about changing it for a blue or green one
                        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

my car has a green one, but it looks like the guy before me did it with a magic marker. I will have to come up with something a little more slick. I think this stuff would probably work out perfect. http://artprimo.com/catalog/transpar...303-p-882.html
                          “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
                          ― Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Narco View Post
                            do all you guys prefer red? red hurts my eyes after awhile. i prefer green or blue. my car has the dome that's white and red w/ the toggle switch. i was thinking about changing it for a blue or green one
                            You just maybe need a brighter red light, you may be straining your eyes with too little light.

Blue or green (being close to blue in the spectrum) light will deminishes your night vision, red has zero effect on night vision. Your rods and cones are no different than any other human.

It's also why when you meet a car with bluish headlights or when you follow a police car running code with blues or why when you look at the pretty blue lights on top during a stop, even momentarily, it's spots you see when you look away and it takes a spell to get your night vision back. The human eyes are especially sensative to blue light, and will see it as brighter, and react by constricting the pupil.
                            There is even evidence that blue light can damage the eyes.

I first started when we still used red lights on our cars. Yeah, at first the blues looked pretty, but I noticed very soon that they were more irritating and that my night vision was deminished with them. I'ld be more than just pleased if we went back to red myself, not nearly as hard on the eyes and I can see in the dark better, and if something is happening bad there's less chance a passing driver is looking away from them bright blue lights.

And now you know why subs and ships have red lights to use before a sailor goes out on deck at night. The pupils will not constrict with red lights.

I have the light with the switch in my '06 CVPI, it uses a red bulb for red. In the past I had best results with red model car paint on the clear bulb in the light, I never liked the look of red paint in the plastic housing showing brush strokes when the light was on.

I have also used a deep red marker light with two small bulbs in it fastened to a piece of aluminum mounted by the retainer for the sun visor or velcroed to the roof above it's leading edge, wired into the overhead light using a bulb base to wire from. Very good light.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 02-28-2009, 01:42 AM.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

dont know what it is then. my dome light in my 06 has clear bulbs in the center for white light and a ring of read leds running around the dome for the red. maybe ill try something different.
                              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5323 users online. 314 members and 5009 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X