Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a firewall(McAfee) but uninstalled it because I couldn't access the chat room here at officer.

I didn't purchase the product. It was a buy one, get one deal. Decided to try it. That was months and months ago. It's been sitting in the box ever since I uninstalled it. Eventually I'll do something with it.

------------------
    "There's no place like home."

Comment

I bought my firewall because I had a cyberstalker that kept cutting my connection when I'd enter the chat rooms. My husband said, "Well, just don't go into the chat rooms." But, I don't scream "uncle" easily. Ine week, this creep cut my connection 100 times because he could find me even if I was on the Web and not the chat room. I got the firewall and his fun was done.I was soooooo proud the day I sat there and smiled at him when he couldn't get me.

Comment

I am on a t3 lan line which means i have 10mb sec speed....

however i am also behind god damn firewall which means I cannot use mirc or ssl tunnel through the firewall and this means i cannot download the latest movies etc ( lets ignore copyright shall we!)

mjp

Comment

I can get into mirc with mine.....I just feel better having it.

Comment

Must be a pretty slow T3...

Originally posted by Michael J Pannell:
            I am on a t3 lan line which means i have 10mb sec speed....

however i am also behind god damn firewall which means I cannot use mirc or ssl tunnel through the firewall and this means i cannot download the latest movies etc ( lets ignore copyright shall we!)

mjp
            Please take a moment to visit http://www.crpe.net home of the first police explorer post in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Glock:
              Must be a pretty slow T3...

I share it with academic departments and various other students + there is software restricting the max speed i can upload/download material due to our university tech department being full of interfering weasels!

Comment

Ah I see...sad situation...oh well 10 megs a second is better than nothing...although we all wish we had a nice ox-768 with 5 terabytes a second!
                Please take a moment to visit http://www.crpe.net home of the first police explorer post in the country.

Comment

Cable modem, 1000 meg processor.

I no longer surf....I ZOOM.

-Sparky

Comment

Firewalls can be a pain because you have to enable ports to use certain programs, and that can always just open you up easily to an enterprising "hacker," or "scrip-kiddie."

Also, anyone with Cable, DSL, or something else with a static I.P address needs to use extra caution. See, with a 56k connection, it's like i'm at a differant place every time, as my address is differance everytime. But if you have Cable, or DSL you have the same address; so if someone's ****ed at you, they'll always know where you are.

Cable; this is tricky. You're Cable connection isn't actually yours excusively. You share your cable connection with everyone in your neighborhood. This means that you have to be real careful if you have a home network hooking multiple computers up in your house, as you could very well be opening up your computer(s) to anyone in your neigborhood! You also have to share your connection with everyone in the neigborhood so this can get you some really bad connections some times.

If you do get a firewall. I would suggest an actual box over a free bit of software.

BUT! If you do have a problem, lik Mitzi had with this "cyberstalker," you can call up your cable provider and have them change your I.P address. Just consider it a witness protection program of sorts... But it's not nearly fool proof.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1924 users online. 118 members and 1806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X