Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18th offense drunk driver sent back to prison

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/latest/318921

Sent back to prison after his parole was revoked. He could have been arrested for his 19th offense if law enforcement had pushed the issue.

My question is: Is it like this all over the country or is this just a Wisconsin thing? Here in Wisconsin, first offense drunk driving is not even a crime. It's a forfeiture. You don't reach felony status until 5th offense. Quite regularly you hear about people receiving their 7th or 8th offense drunk driving arrests.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has been doing a special series on the drinking culture in Wisconsin called Wasted in Wisconsin. They have personal stories about drunk driving deaths in every county in Wisconsin. You can read about it here:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/30565984.html
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

I'm a full-time DUI Enforcement officer in the "Third Drunkest City in the Nation." You're preaching to the choir, my friend (although it IS a criminal offense on the first arrest here).
    MAC

Comment

This is funny during my 2nd week on FTO we stopped a guy for speeding. Turned out we were 10-15,10-19, with a 10-56. I started counting this guys record and wouldn't you believe, 14th DWI. Needless to say it was a 1st degree.

Comment

The chronics there is no way to stop them if they are out of jail. If they keep drinking they will keep driving while drunk if that is what they have decided to do.

I'm an alcoholic and drug addict who has not taken a drink since 11/12/1991 but before that time I drove drunk at least 5 days a week, maybe 6 or 7.

Access to vehicles is unlimited, as access to alcohol.

Even LEO are not immune from the disease of alcoholism and to a degree driving under the influence.

If I drank today I am quite sure I would still be driving drunk.

There was a guy in Toledo, OH who had over 10 offenses he had not went to COURT on yet, they kept releasing him in the morning before court, some of the arrets read like this.......

Thursday night I75 and romeo road (made up intersection) 251 am DUI
        Friday night same intersection 249 am DUI
        Saturday night same intersection same time within 10 minutes DUI

There were more than one daisy chain series of arrests..

How much time did he get for all 16 or 17 outstanding DUI ?? 1 year...thats the max the municipal court judge could give him.

The TV reporters kept following another chronic, filmed him as he drove himself to court and around town (Toledo again)

Bill
        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by The State View Post
          This is funny during my 2nd week on FTO we stopped a guy for speeding. Turned out we were 10-15,10-19, with a 10-56. I started counting this guys record and wouldn't you believe, 14th DWI. Needless to say it was a 1st degree.
          Not sure what you mean since 10 codes vary alot, My the 10 codes I am used to you have an arrest an in route to jail 10-15 are fine 10-19 and have a tow truck 10-56 in custody. I'm guessing you mean saw drunk arrested same.
          Every day is just the same, I'm chasing rainbows in the rain.

Comment

Dui

KY is horrible.

Check out the loophole we have. I ave had plenty that technically would have been their 4th. 5th etc but due to the great loophole, it becomes 1ST AGAIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc97W74YUsw
            DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
              KY is horrible.

Check out the loophole we have. I ave had plenty that technically would have been their 4th. 5th etc but due to the great loophole, it becomes 1ST AGAIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc97W74YUsw
              That's nuts. In Florida your 4th is felony, but 3 is felony if it's within 10 years. I see no reason why second DUI isn't felony nationwide... but what do I know.

Comment

If the law punishes you for how many offenses you have in a 5 year period of time, how is it a "loophole" if you only had 1 offense in the last 5 years and it is treated as such ??

Ohio has the neat concept now of "twice the bac limit, twice the jail time and twice the fine"

Comment

Imagine how many times a person actually drives drunk to get caught that often ??

In CA, 3rd time in 7 years gets 6 months in County Jail, 4th time a Felony.
                  LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                    If the law punishes you for how many offenses you have in a 5 year period of time, how is it a "loophole" if you only had 1 offense in the last 5 years and it is treated as such ??
                    The loophole they're talking about is that if it's your 8th DUI, but your last one was over 5 years ago, they treat it as if it's your 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                      The loophole they're talking about is that if it's your 8th DUI, but your last one was over 5 years ago, they treat it as if it's your 1st.
                      Yea, but if you have an attendance policy at work, and your attendance record is measured over the last 60 days (as mine is) it is not a "loophole" that an absence or tardy 3 mos ago is not considered to be my "second absence" for the purposes of discipline. I'm not arguing that maybe the law is too lax, but a built in sunset period for a violation being counted as a multiple is NOT a "loophole".

As to the number of times people drive drunk between arrests, I can only speak for myself but that worked out to a 500:1 ratio roughly, to qualify those statistics typically I did not drive far (doesn't matter, no excuse...just explaining to clarify the numbers)1-2 miles mostly, in a small town, now and then 8-10 miles, rarely 15-20 miles. I drank and drove now and then from the time I was 18 until I was 21, heavier from 21-23 and very heavily from 23-25. And not at all since 11/12/1991 ODAT.

Bill

Comment

I've brought it up before but I think we should have a 3-strike DUI set of laws that results in a significant suspension of one's driving privileges with felonies available for those who drive suspended. Let them take the bus or ride a bike if they insist on abusing their driving privileges and endangering the public. Should return some additional revenue to the govt coffers in the form of mass transit fees.
                        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3301 users online. 162 members and 3139 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X