300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga. judge jails Muslim woman over head scarf

By DIONNE WALKER, Associated Press Writer Dionne Walker, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA – A Muslim woman arrested for refusing to take off her head scarf at a courthouse security checkpoint said Wednesday that she felt her human and civil rights were violated.

A judge ordered Lisa Valentine, 40, to serve 10 days in jail for contempt of court, said police in Douglasville, a city of about 20,000 people on Atlanta's west suburban outskirts.

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after they arrested her Tuesday.

Valentine, who recently moved to Georgia from Connecticut, said the incident reminded her of stories she'd heard of the civil rights-era South.

"I just felt stripped of my civil, my human rights," she said Wednesday from her home. She said she was unexpectedly released after the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged federal authorities to investigate the incident as well as others in Georgia.

Jail officials declined to say why she was freed and municipal Court Judge Keith Rollins said that "it would not be appropriate" for him to comment on the case.

Last year, a judge in Valdosta in southern Georgia barred a Muslim woman from entering a courtroom because she would not remove her head scarf. There have been similar cases in other states, including Michigan, where a Muslim woman in Detroit filed a federal lawsuit in February 2007 after a judge dismissed her small-claims court case when she refused to remove a head and face veil.

Valentine's husband, Omar Hall, said his wife was accompanying her nephew to a traffic citation hearing when officials stopped her at the metal detector and told her she would not be allowed in the courtroom with the head scarf, known as a hijab.

Hall said Valentine, an insurance underwriter, told the bailiff that she had been in courtrooms before with the scarf on and that removing it would be a religious violation. When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.

When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.
    So was she arrested for the scarf OR the disorderly conduct.

Oh ...... and BTW, [email protected] "religious" woman, did Allah tell you to act like a jerk?????????

Sorry, for all you people with special need relgions. If yours tells you to do things that break OUR laws, then go somewhere they will let you practice your religion within the laws.
    Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
      So was she arrested for the scarf OR the disorderly conduct.

Oh ...... and BTW, [email protected] "religious" woman, did Allah tell you to act like a jerk?????????

Sorry, for all you people with special need relgions. If yours tells you to do things that break OUR laws, then go somewhere they will let you practice your religion within the laws.
      Abrasively WELL said!
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Scratch is very right.

Those sort of rules do not care about religion. They are there for safety reasons.

Comment

I dont understand why it is in their religions that an offensive cartoon warrants a call for the artist to be put to death, but they cannot fathom our law that says you cant have your head covered in court. Kind of like the Florida DMV issue a little while ago where a Muslim woman wanted her DL photo to be with her headscarf only showing her eyes. How do you ID someone with only their eyes?????

It seems to me that as long as the courts treat all religions/persons/sexes are treated the same then theres not a problem.

I also like how the article just brushes over the fact that she turned in court and said "an expletive". Sounds like contempt to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
            I dont understand why it is in their religions that an offensive cartoon warrants a call for the artist to be put to death, but they cannot fathom our law that says you cant have your head covered in court. Kind of like the Florida DMV issue a little while ago where a Muslim woman wanted her DL photo to be with her headscarf only showing her eyes. How do you ID someone with only their eyes?????

It seems to me that as long as the courts treat all religions/persons/sexes are treated the same then theres not a problem.

I also like how the article just brushes over the fact that she turned in court and said "an expletive". Sounds like contempt to me.
            You know, if she's not gonna take off her scarf and is going to be looking like that, then you can hire a damn taxi. That's true B.S. I don't care if it affects your religion because it affects the police from being able to identify you. idiot muslims....

Comment

Where's the contempt of court? As I read this, she was stopped at a "courthouse security checkpoint". One assumes that would be before enering the courtroom. She declined to enter on the terms presented and "turned to leave". While uttering an expletive in these circumstances may constitute contempt of bailiff, I don't think that's a handcuffing offense.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with irrational prejudice against Muslims. No doubt an Hasidic Jew, Sikh, Roman Catholic nun, Russian Orthodox priest, or anyone who wears funny headgear would get the same treatment.

Comment

If any of the people you just mentioned with the stuff on their heads to the degree you can't identify them from the next person just like them, then I say still about them. However, I don't think those people will actually do what the muslim lady did and I'm pretty sure Hasidic Jews will take off their hat. The smaller hat they wear (forgive me, I know it starts with a Y but I can't remember the name :S) but I've seen the people who wear them and you can tell what color. The muslim lady had her WHOLE face except for her eyes covered. All the following have some but not all of their face covered.
                Last edited by Taylor13; 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I'm sure the contempt came from the expletive uttered in court, and not the "head coverings."
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Smurfette
                  Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                  Originally posted by DAL
                  You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                    The muslim lady had her WHOLE face except for her eyes covered.
                    Assuming facts not in evidence.

There is nothing in the news report to indicate this woman's face was covered.

I looked up the story through Google news and found photographs. While it's not necessarily what she was wearing on the day in question, she's obviously willing to show her face.

She's accused of violating "a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court". Any headgear. That would include a yarmulke.

The policy is nonsensical. In any case, if she did not enter the courtroom, how did she violate it?

Comment

Okay then I stand corrected in any part of it, however, then they'll have to take their caps off hands down.

Comment

I would love to tell her WELCOME to the SOUTH!!!!

We tend not to care who the hell you are laws are laws, and rules are rules. You want sympothy and "special" privaleges should have stayed in the Northeast. Political Correctness is not so quick to convert here.

The Rules are NO HEADGEAR IN THE BUILDING! As a Police Officer I can't wear a chain with a cross showing. I don't whine about it, I either comply or look for work elsewhere, I don't call the ACLU about my so-called civil rights. What retards. Follow the rules, or go to where the rules suit you. I just wish the judge hadn't fell to outside pressure and kept her butt locked up.
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

I would like to know what makes wearing a scarf or other "head gear" a safety concern.

Yes, I understand that some head gear make easy hiding places for weapons. But no more so than a brief case. Everything has to go through a metal detector, and anything that could be hidden in head gear could also be easily hidden in other items (brief case, back pack, etc.) that are allowed.

I frequently go to the local county courthouse to sit in on trials, and no one here seems to be worried about head gear being a threat to anyone's safety.

Some judges require people to remove hats in their courtrooms, but that's more about showing respect to the judge, and I'm sure the judges would have no problem with the scarves Muslim women wear. What they REALLY don't like are the baseball caps.

Please tell me why wearing head gear is a potential threat to safety.
                          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

According to her "removing it would be a religious violation". I think that is the problem. The briefcases, computers, bags, etc that you mention are handed over to be searched before entry. She refused to remove it and could have had anything from a gun to a bomb inside it. As far as the contempt charge......I initially thought she was already in court when she was mouthing off. If she was outside prior to entry I am not sure what violation occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post

Some judges require people to remove hats in their courtrooms, but that's more about showing respect to the judge, and I'm sure the judges would have no problem with the scarves Muslim women wear. What they REALLY don't like are the baseball caps. .
                              Now if this was a guy wearing a baseball cap and refusing to remove it due to 1st ammendment expression rights would the public/media have a different perspective on this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5815 users online. 403 members and 5412 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X