• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8yr old, charged as adult?

Not sure who has seen this already....
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013241975
    David Goodhue - AHN Reporter

Phoenix, AZ (AHN) - An 8-year-old boy who confessed to shooting to death his father and a man renting a room from his father in Arizona earlier this month, had told authorities he kept a log recording the instances his father and stepmother hit him.

According to a search affidavit from a St. Johns, Ariz. Police officer, the boy told Child Protective Services agents that 1,000 spankings was his threshold.

In a statement to police the day after the Nov. 5 shooting, he said he had been spanked the day before for not finishing a homework assignment. He is being accused of shooting to death his father, Vincent Romano, 29, and Timothy Romero, 39, who was renting a room in the Romano house, with a .22-caliber rifle his father had taught him to use.

Prosecutors entered a plea deal in the case last week, but the details aren't clear. Prosecutors had sought to drop one of two first-degree murder charges against the boy.

Police records show family members, including the boy's grandparents, said Romano and his wife were too hard on the boy and they weren't surprised to hear he was a suspect in the shooting.

Police Chief Roy Melnick wrote in his report: "I comforted them as best we could. After several minutes, [the boy's grandmother] shouted out in an angry and loud tone, 'I knew this would happen. They were too hard on [the boy]. I knew he did it, He spent the night in my bed cuddling up to me. I had a feeling he did it. If an eight year old boy is capable of doing this, it's [him]."
    Thoughts? The chief of police in the town is pushing for him to be tried as an adult. I can see pros and cons to both. Mainly, if they charge him as a minor, hes done when hes 18. However, if they can charge him as an adult, hes theirs till hes rehabilitated (if possible). 10 years is a lot of time, especially at that age.
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Old news

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...hlight=arizona
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

In Louisiana he would not responsible for anything he does or did and cannot be arrested for ANY crime until 10yrs old.
      Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

I thought I had seen it, but couldnt find it. Sorry. Consider this an update?
        "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Interesting tidbit....he wasn't a person of interest until the step-mother told the police he was the one who did it....

I'd like to know the amount of life insurance was on the Dad. Seems like a sweet little set up, doesn't it? Dad dead, son goes to prison, step-mom gets the dough.
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think he can be legally tried as an adult. Isn't an eight year old presumtively incapable of committing a criminal act?

Comment

Read the other thread. I already explained it there.
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                I don't think he can be legally tried as an adult. Isn't an eight year old presumtively incapable of committing a criminal act?
                Going to depend on the state and previous case law.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                  The chief of police in the town is pushing for him to be tried as an adult.
                  I'm just curious. I read this thread and the other one and I never saw anything about the Chief campaigning for the kid to be tried as an adult.

In such instances the case is routinely turned over to the district attorney's office and they make the apropriate charging decision.

Did I miss something here?
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    I'm just curious. I read this thread and the other one and I never saw anything about the Chief campaigning for the kid to be tried as an adult.

In such instances the case is routinely turned over to the district attorney's office and they make the apropriate charging decision.

Did I miss something here?
                    There was a video in a different link I saw that had the chief of police talking about how he was pushing for the kid to be tried as an adult. Keep in mind this is a smaller town, so the DA will have the final say, but that doesnt mean the Chief wont throw in his 2 cents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9573 users online. 446 members and 9127 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X