Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Protect and Serve' my @$$....

I am SO steamed right now...

I just got back from picking up my daughter and one of her girlfriends. They were stranded in a city, just across the state line in Mississippi, with car trouble(fuel pump, apparently went out on her '98 Cavalier).

They were 3 blocks from the local police station, my daughter's car dead IN THE ROAD...emergency flashers on...and TWO of that city's 'finest' drove PAST them, my daughter and her friend jumping up and down waving frantically at them.

She told me all these LEOs did was 'wave' at them. I feel a visit to that PD's Chief is in order first thing Monday morning.

'Protect and Serve' my @$$!

Sorry for the rant. I know the quality of the LEOs on this board is such that this would not have happened if YOU had been one of those officers.

FWIW, after I arrived on the scene, I personally witnessed 4 patrol cars pull up to the intersection, look in our direction, hood up, flashers on....and go the other direction.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Hey Shooter, any chance they had something more important going on? I know I have blown by several disabled vehicles while headed towards something more pressing.

------------------
    Happiness is having two Super Sports to choose from.

Comment

I'm surprised you don't even consider that they were on a call that had a higher priority. A cop passing by someone in need without a good reason is to risky I would think. One simple call to complain and they'ld be in trouble.

------------------
      It's easier to get out of jail than it is a morgue. Live long and defend yourself!

Jhn 3:16
      COP in 2002
      NRA Lifer
      GOA
      GSSF
      KABA
      It's easier to get out of jail than it is a morgue. Live long and defend yourself!

Jhn 3:16
      NRA Lifer
      GOA
      GSSF
      KABA
      SAF

Comment

If I hadn't seen the other 4 cars ignore them, with me standing there, possibly. However, even IF the first two units were enroute to calls, they COULD have notified dispatch of the possible situation...at least that is what *I* would have done.

We'll see on Monday....
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

<We were posting at the same time>

Shooter, can understand your being upset, under the circumstances.

As was stated above, theymay have been on another call.

However, I can't see not calling in the "motorist assist", even if on a call, so another unit could chaeck on them.

I have been involved in an accident on the way home, in uniform, but in my POV and saw at least 3 city units go by, looking the other way. As it had already been called in, I didn't think too much of it at the time.

------------------
          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JKT (edited 06-02-2001).]
          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Inquiring what happened is a good idea. There are all kinds of very good possible reasons for why they went by, and even reasons why they didn't get on the radio, if it turns out they didn't. Then again, it is also possible the local police have a bunch of officers who didn't do their job that night.

I do recommend, Shooter, that you go in with a friendly and positive attitude. You and your complaint will be received a lot better if there isn't smoke billowing out of your ears. If the cops were being derilict, the administration will bend over backwards to identify the officers to prevent it from happening again, if nothing else.

------------------

Comment

THE BRONZE....

That is EXACTLY why I'm venting HERE.

Thanks...

Comment

Then Vent away! Meanwhile, I'm watching Le Mans, and dunking double-stuff Oreos in milk. Urp!

------------------

Comment

Vent away, Shooter. When it comes to our kids, we are always protective.
                  I will alway be so thankful to a cop that stopped for my son. My son was 17 and stopped to help two girls who were stranded with a flat tire.
                  My son, being very manly, jacked up the car then got under the car to look at something. A cop came by, quietly talked to my son and got him out from under the car. He had noticed mt son didn't have the jack right but said nothing in front of the two girls. He helped my son fix it then helped him fix the tire.
                  My son felt so dumb but I told him that was his guardian angel in uniform that stopped by.

Comment

I have to agree Shooter. Do your venting here, then go in without the chip on your shoulder. You are concerned, but polite and just want to know why no help was given. They SHOULD be receptive.

------------------
                    SHOOT LOW SHERIFF, they
                    6P1 (retired)

Comment

I don't know what size city you were in etc., and I know this is going to get me all kinds of boos and hisses, but here in Vegas, we don't do motorist assist unless they are blocking traffic and then, only long enough to get them out of the traffic lane. With the heat here, if we did, that is all we would do from about 1000 to 2000 hours. There are exceptions to every rule, such as the elderly, it's 0530 and you have nothing else to do etc, but as a general rule, we don't stop for able bodied people.

[This message has been edited by DesertRat (edited 06-03-2001).]

Comment

I try to stop and check on stranded motorists when I'm not on a call. If I am going to a call, I try and get back to the stranded motorist after I'm finished with the call. I try and remember that if it was my wife and kids broke down, I'd sure like it if the locals stopped and helped her.

Of course my wife wouldn't be stranded for long, cause as soon as her car stopped, she be on the cell phone wearing me out about her car breaking down.
                        RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

DesertRat...my daughter's car was disabled in the middle of the street. She's 4'11", 115 pounds of solid muscle, but there was NO way she and her equally tiny friend could move her car. You are right about the cellphone. One of the best investments made. What I still have a hard time believing, is that while 'daddy' was 30+ minutes away, several 'brother' officers HAD THE CHANCE to offer assistance, call in her situation, etc....and DIDN'T. From the time she called, until I had her car placed on a carrier, was almost 2 hours. Tell me, in a city of less than 10,000 people, ALL the cops were TOO BUSY to do anything but WAVE.

BTW...I discussed this situation with MY Chief this AM over coffee. Even HE has little hope of me getting any sort of explanation, much less any 'closure'.

On another point...I'm going to go totally NUTS when she heads off to college in a year...aren't I?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shooter1201:
                            On another point...I'm going to go totally NUTS when she heads off to college in a year...aren't I?

Yes you are and for the next 60 years regardless!!!
                            However, in our business we tend to consistantly see the reality of what is out there and that makes us very over-protective!!

[This message has been edited by wonderwoman (edited 06-04-2001).]

Comment

UPDATE: UPDATE: I went and attempted to see the chief of the PD in question today. And 'Yes', I left my anger at home.

I identified myself to the lady at the information desk and requested to see the Chief. The Chief was out, but I spoke with a shift supervisor. Unfortunately, he wasn't the one on duty last Saturday at the time in question.

He said he was sorry for any problem my daughter may have experienced, but he would check into it. I thanked him and left.

I'm not holding my breath on this one....

------------------
                              HEARTS and MINDS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5430 users online. 292 members and 5138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X