300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is crack...

Why is crack more punishable than cocaine? Or is it the other way around?
    Yey. I passed the writing test with an 85. PAT next week!!

No difference in Washington. Crack, cocaine, meth, heroin - all same charge, just the weights and possess/deliver/manufacture matter
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

Comment

In most cases because of the violence associated with the sale and distribution of crack compared to that of powder cocaine. While most people think it's the same drug, the fact is that crack is mostly sold at the street level and cocaine is mostly sold at the "acquaintance" level. The level of violence associated with street level crack sales is by far more prevelant and severe than anything seen with regard to powder cocaine. I worked an area that had 100 homicides in a 24 month period and more than 50% were directly related to crack cocaine sales. I can only remember a few homicides that were related to powder coaine, heroin or marijuana.

Alot of states have changed their sentencing laws to make them equal because of "special interest" groups claiming that harsher sentencing on crack is purely racial. This is untrue and anyone that has worked in the heart of the drug wars can tell you the same.

I have no problem with raising sentencing guidelines for powder cocaine crimes, but I have a real probelm with lowering crack cocaine guidelines just to make people happy.

My 2 cents...
      David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

No difference in NC.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

It's not racial it's classist.

Comment

It's not necessarily racial or class. It is more addictive. People who may not get hooked to powder cocaine may get hooked to rock, which in turn may lead them to spend all of their money, trade their possessions, then do worse things such as steal from their relatives, sell their possessions, or hold up convenience stores to get that rock. It may seem classist because most crack addicts are poor and despondent, but they all didn't neccessarily start out that way. They became so supporting their habit and alienating their family and friends.

Comment

I thought crack was a more concentrated form of coke and the method of delivery made it more potent (smoking vs snorting) which made it more addictive and dangerous. Or is that the TV version?

Comment

Originally posted by dbphotos View Post
                In most cases because of the violence associated with the sale and distribution of crack compared to that of powder cocaine. While most people think it's the same drug, the fact is that crack is mostly sold at the street level and cocaine is mostly sold at the "acquaintance" level. The level of violence associated with street level crack sales is by far more prevelant and severe than anything seen with regard to powder cocaine. I worked an area that had 100 homicides in a 24 month period and more than 50% were directly related to crack cocaine sales. I can only remember a few homicides that were related to powder coaine, heroin or marijuana.

Alot of states have changed their sentencing laws to make them equal because of "special interest" groups claiming that harsher sentencing on crack is purely racial. This is untrue and anyone that has worked in the heart of the drug wars can tell you the same.

I have no problem with raising sentencing guidelines for powder cocaine crimes, but I have a real probelm with lowering crack cocaine guidelines just to make people happy.

My 2 cents...

Bravo.

Shouldnt we have just increased the cocaine penalty....

Its a money issue thou I know.
                Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Comment

About Crack Cocaine

From http://www.streetdrugs.com

Crack cocaine, a form of cocaine base, is derived from powder cocaine. Unlike the processing of freebase cocaine, converting powder cocaine into crack cocaine does not involve any flammable solvents. The powder cocaine is simply dissolved in a solution of sodium bicarbonate and water. The solution is boiled and a solid substance separates from the boiling mixture. This solid substance, crack, is removed and allowed to dry. The crack cocaine is then broken or cut into "rocks," each typically weighing from one-tenth to one-half of a gram. One gram of pure powder cocaine will convert to approximately 0.89 grams of crack cocaine. The DEA estimates that crack rocks are between 75% and 90% pure cocaine.

Because crack is smoked, the user experiences a high in less than 10 seconds. This rather immediate and euphoric effect is one of the reasons that crack became enormously popular in the mid 1980s. Another reason is that crack is inexpensive both to produce and to buy.

The crack epidemic dramatically increased the numbers of Americans addicted to cocaine. In 1985, the number of people who admitted using cocaine on a routine basis increased from 4.2 million to 5.8 million, according to the Department of Health and Human Service's National Household Survey. Likewise, cocaine-related hospital emergencies continued to increase nationwide during 1985 and 1986. According to DAWN statistics, in 1985, cocaine-related hospital emergencies rose by 12 percent, from 23,500 to 26,300; and in 1986, they increased 110 percent, from 26,300 to 55,200. Between 1984 and 1987, cocaine incidents increased fourfold.

The effects of Crack are similar to those of Cocaine, although since Crack is smoked, additional risks exist. General effects include constricted blood vessels and increased temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure, restlessness, irritability, anxiety, and with long term use, violence and paranoia are noted. Additional risks of smoking crack include respiratory problems such as shortness of breath, chest pains, lung trauma and bleeding. As with cocaine, crack is highly addictive. Evidence shows that when cocaine and crack are smoked (as opposed to other methods), there is increased risk of compulsive cocaine-seeking behavior.
                  "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I saw a documentary once on drug testing on monkeys. They gave them any number of drugs where they could choose the drug or food. They would do the drug but eventually take food. Except in every case they would take cocaine until they died.

Comment

crack is cocaine, its just a smokable fourm of cocaine,in TX poss is Poss..

state jail felony.
                      ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                      Oscar Wilde

Comment

Most the criticism is aimed at mandatory federal sentences that were established by Congress in the mid 1980's. Federal drug laws have what is commonly called the "100 to 1" ratio for powder to crack cocaine. Basically you would receive the same sentence for 500 grams of powder that you would for 5 grams of crack cocaine. Sentencing guidelines have been relaxed in recent years and have narrowed the gap (by reducing crack cocaine sentences), but a mandatory minimum 5 year sentence is still in place for 5 grams of crack cocaine (and 500 grams of powder cocaine).
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                          I thought crack was a more concentrated form of coke and the method of delivery made it more potent (smoking vs snorting) which made it more addictive and dangerous. Or is that the TV version?
                          Just about any drug is more potent when snorted instead of smoked. During smoking the process of combustion destroys some of the drug and also some smoke will just float away and not be inhaled.

Coke can be also smoked (usually sprinkled on top of marijuana) but you lose a lot of the potency. So for smoking it is usually cooked up into crack which can be smoked with less noticeable loss in potency.

Crack is made from coke but that doesn't mean it has the same effects. They feel different to the user. Crack is similar to cocaine but definitely different. Different enough that they should be considered two different drugs.
                          Last edited by Fëanor; 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Heroin, morphine, codeine and laudanum are all derived from opium, but you wouldn't look at them the same.

Besides...crack is wack!
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

For the most part the only place where it carries a higher penalty is in federal cases.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5198 users online. 332 members and 4866 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X