How can a "blank" kill you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can a "blank" kill you?

I've heard of times before and the recent one where that 15 year old was killed in a high school play with a blank bullet, how does it kill them? Does it sometimes shoot out stuff or something, I've always wondered this but never could find out.

Blanks are essentially bullet-less ammo that is crimped at the end. It still has powder inside to make it go boom. That much pressure has to go somewhere. Fatalities from blanks are caused by someone holding the muzzle end of the weapon to the head of the victim, thinking it's safe since there's no actual "bullet". The pressure kills them. Cap guns are completely different.

http://www.motionpicturearmourer.com/q5.htm
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

some blanks also use a small plastic disk about half the size of a contact lens that can be formed into a 900+ fps projectile. Plus like the Sgt. said you still have gsr and blow back pressures from contact.

Comment

I thought mikeymedic was gonna point out I missed talking about the blank's pressure causing intracerebral hemmorhage!
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Isn't that how Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow?
          It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
            Isn't that how Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow?
            Affirm

And Jon-Erik Hexum
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

According to post-investigation reports, Brandon Lee was killed by debris from a previous round, that was in the chamber when the blank round was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                Affirm

And Jon-Erik Hexum
                Makes me think of Jennifer O'Neill.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                  I thought mikeymedic was gonna point out I missed talking about the blank's pressure causing intracerebral hemmorhage!
                  indeed, the resulting shock wave from the blast could result in ruptured blood vessels, thus causing a subdural hematoma and thus increase inter-cranial pressures.

Comment

Here's the wikipedia link to Jon-Erik Hexum's bio. It explains the manner of "death by blank ammo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Place a styrofoam cup right in front of an empty, but CO2 charged pellet gun. Pull the trigger. It should leave a hole. Same deal....high pressure channeled through a small hole into a weak target...now multiply that by all the gases and debris released by a blank ammo cartridge, into a human skull, and the results are deadly.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Movie studios make a few different types of blanks. Some are paper wads, and the gun is modified to operate on the limited gas pressure (compared to a real round), and it has the resulting flash/pop the camera wants. They also use "suicide blanks" with plugged barrels. These do not have any matter leaving the barrel, used for scenes where the gun is fired directly against the actor (hence the name). But even these can injure. A stuntman that later became the director of Chemical Evil was seriously wounded when the barrel plug made to allow the gun to function by creating backpressure dislodged and became the bullet itself.

This is why sets have dedicated "gun wranglers" so actors don't goof off, fail to clear a chamber after a scene, load the improper type of blank, etc.

Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank-firing_attachment

Comment

One of my tranquilizer dart rifles is powered by blanks- .22 blanks even. When I open up the pressure orfice all the way it pushes a 280 grain dart at a deadly velocity.

Comment

THESE THINGS use a blank .22 or .27 cartridge to shoot a nail into concrete. Thats some serious force, so blanks can do a lot of damage.
                            "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                            Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                            Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

very ironic.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4853 users online. 138 members and 4715 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X