300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Clubs

I was remembering when I was in High School like 27 years ago we had a rifle club. We had a rifle range in the basement of our High School and while I was not a member I know a lot of my friends were and they had a good time. I live out in what some of you would call the sticks and I was given a shotgun on my 10th birthday and went hunting etc. We were taught safety by our fathers and would not dare think of shooting anyone or shooting the school. Now I read of kids who are kicked out of school for making a gun out of school for pointing fingers and going bang. Kids are shooting up each other and it is so sad. People like to blame guns but I am afraid it is not the guns that are causing the problems. Maybe it is the lack of discipline or the families falling apart, I don't know what all is to blame but regardless it is sad.

I agree wholeheartedly. In my village there is an honor roll student. I mentored her in a way. In fact, she called me at home tonight. She's 16 years old in 11th grade. This girl is the epitome of virtue. She would never dream of smoking merijuana or drinking. she will save sex for much later. She hates corruption and crime.

This girl shot a buck on opening day of hunting season last year and is an avid member of the NRA. Is she a criminal? Hardly.

I agree with you, RT.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Buddingnovelist (edited 06-01-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by RT:
      People like to blame guns but I am afraid it is not the guns that are causing the problems. Maybe it is the lack of discipline or the families falling apart, I don't know what all is to blame but regardless it is sad.
      Uh...it seems to me that guns are a LARGE part of the problem. How can they shoot each other with no bang bang?
      Copper2be

Comment

Originally posted by Copper2be:
        Uh...it seems to me that guns are a LARGE part of the problem. How can they shoot each other with no bang bang?
        Oh they can't shoot. They can just use knives, bats, clubs, rocks, books, cars, fists, etc. There have always been murders...even before guns. If you don't drive a nail correctly you don't blame the hammer, you blame who swings it. Guns are tools that must be manipulated in order to fire. They have no will of their own.

Comment

I guess it's kind of regional too. Where I grew up, my high school had a rifle team. Of course, so did other schools.

We got the first day of deer season off of school. If you were a guy and didn't hunt, you might as well have been wearing a dress.

Now, where I live, an honor student was suspended because she had a kitchen knife in her car on school property. It had fallen out of a box while she was using her car to help a friend move. Someone saw it as they walked by the car........zero tolerance policy..you know the rest.

------------------
          Niteshift-
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

G'day C2b

Tsk! Tsk! You will get into big trouble trying to debate this one. Go see "Officer Safety" topic in "Civil Rights".

Obviously the fact that there are literally hundreds of millions of revolvers, pistols, rifles, machine guns, assault weapons and such like in the country would not have anything to do with it. Sure, it takes an irresponsible person and/or parent to cause a gun to be fired - but what if there were no guns in the first place????

And C2b, you too will get beaten about the head and shoulders by all those "right to bear arms" advocates who don't seem to be able to see the woods for the trees - or is that guns???

Look out "Civil Rights" forum - here we come!!!!!

Comment

Until this becomes about gun control, it will stay right where it is.

Odd, you don't want to debate gun control, but you sure do like writing about the topic. 3 post now.

------------------
              Niteshift-
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Now don't get me wrong, I grew up in a small town in Nova Scotia. Got my first rifle when I was 12. A beautiful little .22 single shot bolt action. Loved that gun. Still have it!

However the point I was trying to make was that guns are much more available in the US. I don't think anyone would argue that. You claim your "right to bear arms" is a constitutional right even though the civil war ended a long time ago.(Psst....the English aren't coming back!)That's another post though.

In Canada we have guns as well but they are more closely regulated, thus the smaller number of deaths by guns. Not every houshold has a gun in it here. Now before you jump all over me, I am not saying that literally (all households) but figuratively.I think if it did we would encounter many more incidents of gun related crime.

That all being said, a gun is a more user friendly "tool". Just point and click!It is easier to use it in a detached method.Knives and clubs tend to be more messy and personal.I could probably shoot someone but don't know if I would have the guts to sit there and carve someone like a Thanksgiving turkey.

All being said and done, IF I lived in the US, I would probably own a gun as well being around them growing up and having a healthy respect for them.

Copitsweet,
                Appreciate you trying to warn me off this topic but I find most of the people on here can discuss things rationally if given half a chance.Hey, we're from different countries and cultures that's what brings the diversity to these discussions.

Copper2be

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickM98:
                  Guns are tools that must be manipulated in order to fire. They have no will of their own.
                  Very true. However what type of tool are they? A hammer is used to build something. It has a useful purpose. A gun is a tool of destruction. It is used to maim and kill.You could argue that it is used to protect but it still brings about that protection by injuring and hurting.

Think I'd sooner keep the hammer around the house.My kid is much less likely to take a hammer and go kill a school full of kids.Sure it could happen but what seems to be the "tool" of choice?

Copper2be

Comment

Oh yeah, we were talking about rifle clubs weren't we? Funny how quick things get off topic.

Uh, we didn't have one in high school.
                    Copper2be

Comment

Very true. However what type of tool are they? A hammer is used to build something. It has a useful purpose. A gun is a tool of destruction. It is used to maim and kill.You could argue that it is used to protect but it still brings about that protection by injuring and hurting.
                      A gun can be used for hunting animals, protection, or simply punching holes in paper. There are a great many guns that aren't designed to ever be used against a human. Actually, if you want to get technical, bullets actually are the 'tools that maim and kill.' Maybe we are going about this all wrong...let's ban bullets!!

Think I'd sooner keep the hammer around the house.My kid is much less likely to take a hammer and go kill a school full of kids.Sure it could happen but what seems to be the "tool" of choice?
                      If you practice good gun storage safety and teach your children firearms safety (as my dad and millions of other parents have taught their children), you won't have to worry about your kid taking your gun to school. And honestly...if your kid is to the point that he wants to kill classmates, something is wrong with him...no matter which weapon he wants to use.

[This message has been edited by PatrickM98 (edited 06-02-2001).]

Comment

"A gun is a tool of destruction. It is used to maim and kill.You could argue that it is used to protect but it still brings about that protection by injuring and hurting."

Over-generalization.

Some guns are designed from the board to production with no other purpose than sport use.

------------------
                        Niteshift-
                        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

OK OK We could argue about this all night....oh wait..we already have! It's just one of those American things. You have your points of view and I have mine. Thankfully we are all mature enough here to see valid points in BOTH arguements. Am I right?

As I said, I grew up around guns too and believe that if I want to own one and use it safely and responsibly I should be able to...but you have to admit that having so many guns doesn't help the situation.That is the main oint I am trying to make.

As for parental control and guidance...well sometimes kids are just going to do what they want to do regardless.

We're not doing that well at keeping on topic are we?
                          Copper2be

Comment

Maybe you can help me with my gun. By your twisted reasoning, there must be something wrong with my guns. They aren't getting up and shooting people. So they MUST be defective right?

Comment

I am afraid in the U.S. the cat is out of the bag and being able to collect guns would require the suspension of the constitution, among other problems. Plus we know who wouldn't turn in guns. An interesting little tidbit of History for you all. During WWII a call went out to the U.S.A. and we sent over several weapons to England. We sent private weapons to private citizens over there when it looked like the Nazi's were getting ready to invade. I guess the Brits changed their tune for a little while for some reason about guns. But they went back to their old ways. I think an armed citizenry is a nightmare for an invading army. Military operations in built up areas is already a nightmare but with an armed populace you have real problems.

[This message has been edited by RT (edited 06-02-2001).]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3424 users online. 181 members and 3243 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X