300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 dead, 1 wounded in mall shooting near Seattle

It's begining to feel like the holidays...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/22/...ing/index.html
    CNN) -- One man died and another was critically injured Saturday evening after they were shot at a shopping center in Tukwila, Washington.

The men who were shot were taken from the Westfield Southcenter on stretchers and placed in ambulances.

Authorities were still searching for the shooter, a police spokesman Mike Murphy said.

A woman who appeared to go into labor and a man who suffered a neck injury as people rushed from the center were also taken to the hospital, Murphy said.

The shooting victims, believed to be in their 20s, were removed from the Westfield Southcenter on stretchers and taken to Harborview Medical Center, Murphy said. He didn't know how many times they were shot.

Eyewitness Chris Plummer told CNN affiliate KIRO-TV there was a fight between a group of 18- to 20-year-olds and one of them pulled out a gun and started shooting. Plummer told KIRO-TV he was standing next to the shooter when bullets started to fly, six to seven shots in all.

Murphy told KIRO-TV authorities are trying to determine whether the shooting was gang-related.

The mall was placed on lockdown as SWAT teams searched store-to-store for the shooter. At least two people were detained for questioning, but neither was the shooter, Murphy said.

Shoppers and employees described a chaotic scene.

"We were coming up from the stairs over there, and then we just heard gunshots -- maybe two or three ... then other people started running, and we started running, too," a shopper said. "It was just kind of crazy."

According to mall employee Hilary Young, "it sounded like a big display dropped, and then everybody went running away."

"I heard that there was a fight that broke out" between the men, she said. People in the store ducked, and employees ran into a back room where they could barricade themselves.

"My co-worker was freaking out, like she was having a panic attack. I was actually pretty OK," Young said.

A store manager said that after the shots were fired, "parents grabbed their kids and ran out of there."

The mall, located about 14 miles south of Seattle, Washington, was expected to operate on its normal schedule on Sunday
    sigpic

if personally owned firearms were outlawed this never would have happened
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

i went to the mall yesterday...i made sure i had my gun with me
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

This tragedy is the reason I carry everywhere I go, with the exception of when I'm having some cold ones. So come to think of it I really don't carry much.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

How COULD this happen?....This mall was an 'unarmed victim zone' errrr 'gun free zone'?........
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

This is why the malls can have their "no weapons" policy, but the safety of me and mine comes first.

Legal concealed carry in a situation like this is don't-ask-don't-tell as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather be violating their rules than dead.

Active shooters don't stop to read the rules at the mall entrance.

Probably why I hardly ever go to a mall. Maybe about once a year.
            Last edited by Till; 11-23-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
              This is why the malls can have their "no weapons" policy, but the safety of me and mine comes first.

Legal concealed carry in a situation like this is don't-ask-don't-tell as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather be violating their rules than dead.

Active shooters don't stop to read the rules at the mall entrance.
              +1 Well said brother, I'm with you on that.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Let's see..."a fight between a group of 18- to 20-year-olds and one of them pulled out a gun and started shooting." The way this is written, it's obviously another "mall shooting" that is a threat to all of us (ie: middle and upper class working people), which could have been prevented by more stringent gun control laws. If the same incident occurred in the neighborhood where these (criminally associated youth groups?) probably live, it would be another example of "random gang violence", preventable through midnight basketball programs and of course: more stringent gun control laws.

Expect to see more local incidents publicized as national "trends" in the days and months to follow the 2008 elections. Even though violent crime is at it's lowest rate in decades, you won't be able to guess that with the hysterical headlines to come.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

There sure seems to be an upsurge in this stuff here. There was another shooting at a night club last night. Week before some kid fired 8 rounds into a restaurant window at a group, one guy was hit in the heart and died. Seems the shooter felt he was dissed. At least he had a good reason. This must be gang related, at least I hope there's some kind of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                    There sure seems to be an upsurge in this stuff here. There was another shooting at a night club last night. Week before some kid fired 8 rounds into a restaurant window at a group, one guy was hit in the heart and died. Seems the shooter felt he was dissed. At least he had a good reason. This must be gang related, at least I hope there's some kind of reason.
                    There is always a reason. Some are good and some are bad. Some make sense, some don't. Pulling one out at a mall will have a stupid, childish reason.

People who do this have no fear of going to jail. Or being kept there very long. If he is under 18, he will be forced to write an essay to get out of juvie.

Comment

Don't worry our new President Elect will solve this problem.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Extra magazines for your trip to the mall, kids...

Comment

Crazy kids.

Comment

I'm sure they have the person on surveillance video...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
                              This wasnt an active shooter. It was POS gang banger on gang banger violence. So yea it scared a few people, but one gang banger is dead and other is going to prison... there's a party somewhere.
                              Yeah, I know - just saying that about the active shooter. Luckily this time it was banger-on-banger and wasn't an a shooter that decided he was gonna go into the mall and kill as many random people as possible.

Now this POS was an active shooter. Like I said, at least it didn't end up like Westroads Mall.

And those gangbangers don't stop at the entrance, either.
                              Last edited by Till; 11-25-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6188 users online. 353 members and 5835 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X