X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitzi
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2000

A Roach in my Hair

Florida is the breeding ground of many insects, unfortunately. I dread evey summer cause it doubles the creepy crawlies population!
    Even tho, we have our house sprayed, there are still a few super-insects that seem to thrive on the stuff.
    My husband and I were sitting in the living room, talking one night. I kept scratching my head as it itched. Then, I felt some creepy crawly legs and went into panic mode. I quickly brushed my hair out wih my finger and there, on one of my collectible bride dolls, landed the HUGEST roach I have ever seen.
    Well, I started screaming and jumped up, first on the couch, then I took off running, screaming at the top of my lungs.
    My husband tried to catch me, to see if there were anymore in my hair (there weren't)but I just ran from room to room, totally freaked out.
    My husband could NOT stop laughing and everytime I saw him, I'd start screaming again. It was total panic time. He and my son were trying to help me but they couldn't stop laughing. When they saw my tears, they helped me to see that there were no bugs in my hair and they killed the one that had been munching on my hair.
    DANG! I hate those things!
  • Niteshift
    No Longer Active
    • Mar 2000

It has very little to do with the indside of your house. It has a LOT to do with what is outside your house. Certain plants etc. attract them more.

I don't have a problem with them and I only get my house sprayed every other year. Fire ants, however, are a never ending battle in the yard.

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

• Mitzi
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2000

Fire Ants aren't a problem.....It's these Palmetto bugs. I'm always really wary when it rains cause they want to come in from the rain. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Comment

• goodgirl
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2000

Oh yeah...real easy to see why everyone wants to move to Florida, after all you two make it sound so appealing

Give me nice New England blizzards and ice storms over all those bugs any day

Of course that is easy for me to say with winter behind us

[This message has been edited by goodgirl (edited 06-01-2001).]
        "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

• Mitzi
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2000

Well, at least the beaches help make up for it. I've lived in Fla all my life. It's a gorgeous state....but it can be very humid, hot and muggy and BUGGY!
          But, our beaches help make up for it. I practiclaly live at the beach in the summer!

Comment

• shooter1201
            O.com's #2 trouble maker
            • Feb 2001

Mitzi...

I can sum up the ONLY thing I absolutely HATED about living in Florida in 2 words: 'Palmetto Bugs'. For those of you not familiar with this 'creature', imagine a roach 3-inches long. YUCK!

------------------
            HEARTS and MINDS
            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• dkiefner
              Forum Rookie
              • Mar 2000

Man, what a bunch of sissies......

The resourceful homeowner would train them for home defense.
              Dave Kiefner
              [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

• SpecOpsWarrior
                No Longer Active
                • Feb 2001

I gotta say I dont mind palmetto bugs or june bugs, they are big and easy to squish. But I have to agree with Niteshift, its those damn fire ants I hate. They spring up in the yard and wont go away, I have tried gasoline, fire ant killer, boiling water, and even bleach. They just wont die! Once you have one mound gone two days later a brand new mound is up. They hurt like hell when they bite and they leave those painful little welts. Give me palmetto bugs anyday over these fire ants.

------------------
                [email protected]

Comment

• Mitzi
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2000

I've lived here all my life (Florida) and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I do hate the summers but having an inground pool in the back yard helps lot. Plus, I'm like 3 minutes from the beach.
                  I would probably miss it a lot if we moved. But, I would like to move somewhere cooler where there aren't so many old people like me! hehehehehe lol

Comment

• shooter1201
                    O.com's #2 trouble maker
                    • Feb 2001

Oh, I almost forgot....the BLIND MOSQUITOS. If you ever find yourself amid a swarm of these 'lovelies', do NOT open your mouth!..

------------------
                    HEARTS and MINDS
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• Mitzi
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2000

LOL! I've only seen blind mosquitos once and they were being trampled to death by their seeing eye dogs! LOL! Seriously, never see a blind mosquito. Did you live near marshes, shooter? We neevr did and the bug problem wasn't really a problem until we did move near a marsh.

Comment

• DMS 525
                        El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
                        • Mar 2000

All I ever hear around here is "S-P-I-I-I-D-E-E-E-E-R-R-R-R-R!!!!!!!!!!!! I've killed so many spiders just to make the wife happy, I should open my own exterminator business!
                        Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

• Mitzi
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2000

For some reason, spiders don't scare me.....unless I'm barefooted. I worry about being bitten by a brown recluse spider.....That's bad news.
                          One winter day, I was priviledged to see something not seen very often.....A mother spider had laid her egg sac outside our bedroom window. I called my husband and son to come see this privileged site...Hundreds of teeny, tiny spiderlings emerging from the sac. I couldn't believe how small and perfectly formed they were. Even my son and husband were in awe!

Comment

• interloper
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2000

Hey Mitzi, sick Bubba on the palmetto bugs! I have found my cats to be very useful for keeping down the population of those huge roaches that insist on coming in the house. Of course the cats also find those cute little geckos appetizing.

[This message has been edited by interloper (edited 06-02-2001).]

Comment

• Buddingnovelist
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2001

bugs don't bother mee too much except for the time in El Paso in the bachelor officer's quarters when I heard a palmetto beetle (bug) scuttle across the bedroom. It was indeed unnerving.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21234 users online. 63 members and 21171 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...