Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do cops do illegal things to prevent photography?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do cops do illegal things to prevent photography?

Okay, I realize there's an OpSec component where officers prefer keeping a low profile for fear of recognition while off duty. But, there are many LEOs who do illegal things to prevent their photographs from being taken. Case law has long established that there is no expectation of privacy in a public place. That applies whether you carry a badge or not.

I just saw a tape of a guy recording video in a mall store. He had permission to videotape as two uniformed officers verified before leaving. As those two officers left, a third walked by and asked the guy in a hostile tone why he was videotaping cops. Not satisfied with the answer that he had permission, the officer approached and knocked the camera down, damaging it.

That was bad enough, but apparently there were other officers (on an unknown forum) who applauded those actions. So that brings me back to my original question: If you share those views, why do you think it's okay to commit assault (verbal threats), battery (physical acts) and destruction of personal property to prevent Joe Citizen from taking your picture in a public location?

I'm pretty sure this has been covered already.

Comment

Here we go again!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This is a VERY dead and well beaten horse.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Just so civilians have more of a reason to bitch and hate us.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Could someone link to an old thread that covers this type of thing, I am curious about this.
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

It may be a dead horse for some of you but I am personally unclear about how this works. If you're sick of seeing it then please feel free to ignore the thread.

I thought it was illegal to record video and audio of someone without their permission. I thought that's why businesses post signs that say things like, "This property under video surveillance". I also though that's why everyone on Cops who didn't sign the waiver gets their face blurred out.

On the other hand, LEO's daily record audio and video of people on dash cams without consent.

Is a mall store really "public" or is it private property? How about my front porch, is that "public"? What about through my front windows in my kitchen? Do I have to black out the windows to have it be considered "private" rather than "public" or "in plain sight"?

PS - To the OP, you picked a poor way to word your question. Why does anyone do illegal things? I think the real question is, "Why do a-holes with cameras insist on pointing them at people who don't want to be recorded?"

Comment

So let's say I set up a CCD camera with maybe 7 cell modems and a processor to split the video stream into packets that can be sent in pareallel to provide realtime video to remote locations. And my buddy across the street has the same setup. Go ahead, do something interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ryang View Post
                  But, there are many LEOs who do illegal things to prevent their photographs from being taken.

If you share those views,
                  You just cited one instance. How do you come to the conclusion "there are many?"

I personally don't share "those views". I could care less if someone wants to take my pic in public. Just hope my fly is up. Although quite frankly, I would hope someone has better things to do with their time.

I wouldn't intentionally damage anyone's personal property. What is it you're after here? Besides inciting adverse comments?
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                    I thought it was illegal to record video and audio of someone without their permission. I thought that's why businesses post signs that say things like, "This property under video surveillance". I also though that's why everyone on Cops who didn't sign the waiver gets their face blurred out.
                    Keep in mind there are thousands of retail stores, malls, and outdoor shopping centers around the globe that use CCTV for theft detection, prevention, and security, all WITHOUT notification of customers. As for COPS, methinks that is a matter of "Hey, since we're going to put your picture on national t.v., mind signing a permission slip that says you can't sue us if you look like a moron, which you probably will?" There are differences between the two.

Is a mall store really "public" or is it private property? How about my front porch, is that "public"? What about through my front windows in my kitchen? Do I have to black out the windows to have it be considered "private" rather than "public" or "in plain sight"?
                    A mall store is private property. The public does not own it. The business owns it. Actually, the business leases it in most cases, but for all intents and purposes, it's their property.

As for the second part of your question, if people can see in during their normal course of business, it is considered plain view. If you don't want people seeing what's in your house, shut your windows.

PS - To the OP, you picked a poor way to word your question. Why does anyone do illegal things? I think the real question is, "Why do a-holes with cameras insist on pointing them at people who don't want to be recorded?"
                    +1. Antagonistic.
                    "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

"I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

Comment

'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                        Just so civilians have more of a reason to bitch and hate us.
                        Hold on, sparky...

We need a REASON to hate cops? Isn't the sn***y uniform and the haircut enough?

Comment

Originally posted by finfanfromWA View Post
                          I'm pretty sure this has been covered already.
                          Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                          This is a VERY dead and well beaten horse.....
                          Sorry, but this horse may be so well buried I wasn't able to find it. Care to provide links?

Comment

Its funny. I was working secondary in a particular neighborhood that was having many juvenile issues. They loved to run their video cameras. Well, I got tired if running these guys corner to corner all night...so, whad did I do? Took out my camera and started snapping photos. Really wasn't even taking photos of them but setting off the camera flash. Its funny how the dynamic changes when its the police officer taking the photos of you.

Comment

A good reason the police become pretty irked when people take pictures/video of them is because sometimes that person then cuts/edits the video and takes it out of context to attempt to show the officer in a bad light.
                              'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8974 users online. 376 members and 8598 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X