300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas to execute ten men in one month

The state of Texas has scheduled ten executions in 30 days, a record in the southern state that is already the US leader in capital punishment, having put more than 400 people to death in 30 years.

Tuesday, Joseph Ray Ries, 29, became the first of the ten. He was administered a lethal injection as final punishment for the 1999 murder of a 64-year-old man.

Four of the nine remaining are black, three are white and two are Hispanic. Ries was white.

"Even for Texas, this amount of execution in so short time is unusual," said Rick Halperin, president of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

It is not unusual for 16 executions to be on the calendar in Texas, as they currently are, through March 11. What is unusual is that ten of those will happen between October 20 and November 20.

Bobby Woods is scheduled to die Thursday, Eric Nenno on October 28, Gregory Wright the 30th, Elkie Taylor on November 6, George Whitaker on November 12, Denard Manns on November 13, Eric Cathey on November 18, Rogelio Cannady on November 19, Robert Hudson on November 20.

Execution dates are set by the judges who presided over juries that pronounced a death sentence, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice explained.

"The frequency with which executions are scheduled is dependent on when the judges from courts across the state set those dates," Michelle Lyons said.

"Because they act independently of one another, there are some months when a number of executions are scheduled and other months when there are few or none scheduled," as is the case in December, she added.

Final meal, last cigarette, last words ... the ritual marches along with regularity in the Huntsville, Texas execution chamber, the busiest in the United States.

The ten condemned men join 416 executed in Texas since the US Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

Texas alone has performed a third of all executions carried out in the United States over the last three decades, including 12 so far this year.

By comparison, Virginia -- the number two executioner in the United States -- has conducted 102 since 1976.

For anti-death penalty activists,"it is very frustrating," Halperin said.

"It is very difficult work, but this is where the work is needed, this is where the struggle is. This is the worst place of the free world for execution, this is not just the worst place for America," he said of Texas.

Halperin claimed that "judges are very happy to get rid of these people as quickly as possible." He described a sort of year-end catch-up following a moratorium on executions across the United States from September 2007 to May 2008, while the Supreme Court weighed and ultimately validated the constitutionality of lethal injection.

"The judges definitely want these executions to occur, they are very supportive of killing people here," he said. "This is a historical and sociological tradition of killing people in the name of the law."

But the 375 inmates on Texas Death Row are above all a reflection of criminal law prior to 2001, he said.

Before the state revised such laws in 2001, a defendant could be represented by a divorce lawyer with no experience in criminal prosecutions, and judges were not required to instruct juries of alternative punishments such as life in prison without parole, he said.

Nine of the ten to die this month were sentenced prior to 2001.

Over the next month, Texas prison personnel will be conducting their task of injecting a toxic cocktail into the veins of condemned men every three days on average, prison spokesman Jason Clark acknowledged.

"It can be difficult but this is something that is required of us," he

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081022...execution#full

Needs to be done.But ,I dont see it happening,I give it 5 at the most.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      Before the state revised such laws in 2001, a defendant could be represented by a divorce lawyer with no experience in criminal prosecutions, and judges were not required to instruct juries of alternative punishments such as life in prison without parole, he said.
      nice

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
        For anti-death penalty activists,"it is very frustrating," Halperin said.
        We feel your pain!
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
          Needs to be done.But ,I dont see it happening,I give it 5 at the most.
          This is Texas. We can and will complete the mission.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
            This is Texas. We can and will complete the mission.
            Perhaps many forum members aren't familiar with the story of the failure of Texas brand toilet paper - it didn't sell well simply because it wouldn't take s-it off of anyone!

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Bearcat, I actually heard from somebody in Texas and they said the TDCJ forbids smoking so they don't get a last cigarette but I'm sure they'd want one considering what they're about to do to them. I'm pretty sure quite a few states don't allow smoking anymore.

There was that one DR inmate in Utah or something who asked for "a hooker and a beer" for his last meal. LOL!

Texaschickeee, they've actually executed 2 people the SAME DAY in Texas so 10 in one month will be no problem! I bet Texas could do 20 in a month without blinking.

I'd like to make their last meals for them. LOL!

Comment

Damn, come on Florida, I know we can give Texas competition...
                sigpic

Comment

* TDCJ does not allow smoking, so no they dont get that last cig,
                  The meals are listed about a week prior so they can make it. Some do some dont. Ted Bundy Didnt think he was going to be fried so he just ate what was served.

Keith, you know how TDCJ got in the crapper in the first place, Ruiz VS texas wqas written on TP and sent to (you guessed it) ACLU about how bad the stuff was in TDCJ.
                  They bought it had one of there own do a investagation and (of course) found it to be true, and sued. They had to answer t a court for years. We are done with that but hey He (Ruiz) still showed his colors (as maranda did)
                  and got locked up again, and again and yet.....................

TDCJ could do two a day M-F for month and have no problem with it. We beleive in the needle.
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~jimi/450/ruiz.pdf

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~jimi/450/ruiz.pdf

http://falcon.tamucc.edu/~crijweb/apstudguide.html
                    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Here in IL our last Gov. exonerated all death row inmates right before his term was up. ****ed off tons a folks, but made even more folks happy. IL folks pretty much are anti death penalty.
                      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

I like what Ron White says about Texas: "We have the death penalty and we USE IT! That's right, you come to Texas and kill someone, we will kill you back!"
                        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                        -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                          IL folks pretty much are anti death penalty.
                          Let them know that the longer they embrace their criminals, the sooner will come to hate their protectors.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                            * TDCJ does not allow smoking, so no they dont get that last cig,
                            The meals are listed about a week prior so they can make it. Some do some dont. Ted Bundy Didnt think he was going to be fried so he just ate what was served.
                            Ted Bundy never requested a last meal since he was fighting the death sentence very hard until the very very end. He always thought he'd avoid the electric chair and even told reporters in will "never happen".

Since he didn't requested a last meal they gave him steak and eggs but he REFUSED it.

They should give DR inmates that last cigarette though. They're about to kill them so what's the harm??

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little fall cleaning. besides the families can finally get some closure for the holidays.
                              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4696 users online. 324 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X