300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Chargers

I saw this new concept car for the 2010 Dodge chargers... I was wondering, if dodge made this move would LE continue to use these?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...t-ar58213.html

A two door?
    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

WOW those are UGLY!!

The current chargers are nice, and spacious which I'm sure is great as a police car... I don't think the 2010's would be practical to use as a cruiser since it only has 2 doors... JMO...
      Virginia Beach Police Dept. (First choice)

05-2-09 Applied

09-17-09 Written/Physical/B-Pad

Hanover County Sheriff’s Dept.

01-13-09 Applied

Hiring freeze for two years??

sigpic

Comment

Nebraska State Patrol has run 2-door Cameros and the 2-door 302 Mustangs before.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
          A two door?
          Why not? The California Highway Patrol and I suspect many other agencies use or have used Mustangs and Camaros as a pursuit vehicle or one used just solely for the purpose of writing tickets on the highway / freeway / tollway, etc. If they had to make an arrest, they had to call another officer with a different type of car to transport.

Originally posted by iluvpopo View Post
          WOW those are UGLY!!

The current chargers are nice, and spacious which I'm sure is great as a police car... I don't think the 2010's would be practical to use as a cruiser since it only has 2 doors... JMO...
          It's just another retro type vehicle. This one is modeled after the 1968-70 Dodge Charger. I thought the execution was smartly done but I don't care for the roof line. The distance between the top of the roof and the top of the door is too small in my opinion. As it seems to be in all of the cars coming from Chrysler / Dodge these days. I suppose that you have never seen reruns of the Dukes of Hazard TV show? Not the movie.

I have also been told by a few LE friends that once you put a cage in the car that the room that you thought you had in the Charger is now gone. No leg room, Can't push the seat back because the room you thought you had is now taken up by the cage. Which is probably why so many LE agencies are continuing to use the Ford CVPI or a SUV. Downsizing does not work when applied to a police type vehicle.
          www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
          In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

I think copper chopper is talking about a fleet of working police cars in a working department, not something to cruise around in to write speeding tickets.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Most agencies, including CHP are limiting the number of pursuit vehicles they have in their fleet. Since most agencies are adopting "no pursuit" policies, it doesn't make sense to maintain pursuit cars.

I doubt Dodge would be foolish enough to discontinue the 4-door version of the Charger. I would imagine they sell as many to LE as they do to the public.

The 2 door would probably just be a option like the old cars of the 60’s and 70’s

Comment

Originally posted by sinned View Post
                Most agencies, including CHP are limiting the number of pursuit vehicles they have in their fleet. Since most agencies are adopting "no pursuit" policies, it doesn't make sense to maintain pursuit cars.

I doubt Dodge would be foolish enough to discontinue the 4-door version of the Charger. I would imagine they sell as many to LE as they do to the public.

The 2 door would probably just be a option like the old cars of the 60’s and 70’s
                Agreed. Keep in mind that the dodge charger is a fast selling 4 door family vehicle as well.

That 2010 dodge charger looks like a traffic enforcement / pursuit car. Doubt any police department will replace ALL cars with it.
                The statements posted on here are of my own and does not represent any agency that I am in process with, was in process with or will be in process with.

Comment

There is no way the Chrysler would invest in the tooling for that car right now....especially since the Challenger just got released.

The word from Dodge fleet is that the Charger will continue as as a four door vehicle for the foreseeable future, even though the Magnum has been axed.
                  Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Agreed, the '08 Challenger was limited run, with the '09s being the first real mass production of a Mopar 2-door sports coupe in years. There is no reason Dodge would immediately release a Charger in a 2-door format, and discontinue a 4-door version. Especially with all their recent LE Fleet-vehicle contracts/sales.

Comment

I don't think they will change anything, how many concepts never make it to the production line? They won't change it for the same reason ford still makes the Vic, there is a demand for it. Even if it stayed just for LE, there is a demand for them.

Comment

Two-door vehicles are usually relegated to purely traffic enforcement/pursuit capability. So if this does hit the line as LE vehicles, that will be where you find it, typically. I'm sure some line officers get it (I know a local dept here has a mustang, other than the NCSHP), but again, he probably is brass and only uses it for traffic or getting to the scene fast, never for transport.

Comment

Most concept cars never make it off the drawing board. I think the new 4 door Charger will continue to dominate the police market.
                          David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Actually, if you read the site the photo is shown on this is not an official Chrysler or Dodge image. Don't count on Dodge leaving a stable market for police cars when the economy is sinking.

What nearly killed the Ford CV years ago was that Ford could make more money making SUVs than the CV. Now, the SUV market has tanked and I am sure that Ford appreciates the slow, but steady income they make off the CV line.
                            ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Ford doesn't make a "police" version of the Mustang, and has not since the 5.0L V8 Special Service Mustang that was produced from 1982 through 1993 (two-door sedan with the trunk/not the hatchback GT model). They were essentially a 5.0L LX - lighter than the GT and somewhat faster.

The primary drawback was their use of drum brakes in the rear (with no ABS) and poor handling during any kind of inclement weather. Those cars were very light in the back end!

It is true, though, that several agencies across the country have been using stock, late-model Mustang GT coupes for patrol duty. The GT itself is pretty beefed up right off the showroom floor, and could probably withstand more abuse than a regular car....even if it were not quite as tough as the Crown Vic. Mustangs lack much of the room and size of the big Crown Vic, but are probably much more fun to drive!

The V8 engine in the Mustang (4.6L) is a high-performance version of 4.6L block that comes in the police-spec Crown Vic; though the Mustang's output is 300 horsepower versus 250 for the CVPI. The 'Stang is lighter, too.

There used to be some pics of a department in Texas that used Marked Mustangs for traffic duty, as well as an unmarked Mustang GT that was used by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

I wonder if Ford would stand behind the warranty on a Mustang used for police duty.?.

Regarding a two-door Charger, that sounds nice.....but the '09 Challengers are out on the road now. Me thinks they're too close in size, style and power to warrant building both of them; but you never know. The police-spec Charger has a 5.7L "Hemi" V8 that puts out 340 hp, which ain't too shabby at all.

Chevy is now shipping '09 Camaros to dealerships. I wonder what one of those would look like in a "police duty uniform" with markings, light bar and push bumper.

P.S. Whatever happened to the Australian Holden-based sedan that was to be sent here for law enforcement duty? Anyone have a clue about that?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3465 users online. 197 members and 3268 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X