300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounters with the police as a child

I thought it would be fun for LEO and non-LEO to share some stories on encounters with Law enforcement as a child, (positive or negative) perhaps the encounters that made you want to become an officer… lets try and keep them mostly positive….

I’ll start;

My very first encounter was unfortunately really negative, as my mother was a drug dealer and was harboring a convicted felon in our home. (I only lived with my mother until I was 11) At this time I was 4 years old. The police came to my house and asked if they could look around for the felon. My mother let them in and lied saying he was not there. I was in her bedroom sleeping and was woken up by the dog barking, the dog was at least 7-8 feet away from the officer just barking at him. The officer upholstered and pointed his gun at my dog and yelled really loud to my mom “"you better get this f***in dog out of here before I blow his brains all over the wall" I think the Officer felt bad for saying it right in front of me once he realized I was there (I was sort of hidden under the blanket since I was so small, I don’t think he realized I was there until I started crying and screamed don’t kill foxy!!!) I blame my mother for putting me in this situation though, not the officer.

My second encounter with the police was positive… I was 6 and my friends and I had the police called on us for throwing acorns at an office-building window (I was stupid I know) when the police came all my friends ran, but I didn’t, I turned my self in and apologized, the officer was really nice and just told me not to throw things or I would have to pay for the damages.

My third and last encounter as a child was when I was 11. It was a very positive experience and the one that made me want to be an officer. My mom was pulled over, searched and arrested. While my brother and I were waiting at the police station for my grandmother to come bail my mom out, and take us home, all the officers were very nice. There was this one officer in particular though, He juggled oranges for my little brother and me to entertain us, and he was so nice and really funny! He even let us eat the oranges after! After that I thought all officers learned how to juggle in the academy, I thought this until I was about 13
    Virginia Beach Police Dept. (First choice)

05-2-09 Applied

09-17-09 Written/Physical/B-Pad

Hanover County Sheriff’s Dept.

01-13-09 Applied

Hiring freeze for two years??

sigpic

Not much of a story or anything but first encounters I've had with police were when I was about 7 and my parents and the school were teaching kids about police fire and rescue. Well, my sister found it fun to dial 911 so we had a patrol car out in front of our house fairly often, and when you hear babbling in the background, you don't know if someone is being taken hostage or what is going on. He gave me a sticker that said deputy but only if I do my homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
      Not much of a story or anything but first encounters I've had with police were when I was about 7 and my parents and the school were teaching kids about police fire and rescue. Well, my sister found it fun to dial 911 so we had a patrol car out in front of our house fairly often, and when you hear babbling in the background, you don't know if someone is being taken hostage or what is going on. He gave me a sticker that said deputy but only if I do my homework.
      awww that was nice of him! don't you have police officers in your family Taylor? I thought I had read that somewhere... maybe not...

My feince is a Deputy and he has been looking to buy some of those sticker badges that say the name of the agency on them and "junior deputy" but they are like 300.00 for a role of them! (there is a minimum order)

05-2-09 Applied

01-13-09 Applied

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iluvpopo View Post
        awww that was nice of him! don't you have police officers in your family Taylor? I thought I had read that somewhere... maybe not...

My feince is a Deputy and he has been looking to buy some of those sticker badges that say the name of the agency on them and "junior deputy" but they are like 300.00 for a role of them! (there is a minimum order)
        No, no one in my family was a police officer. Theres a couple of Taylor's on the forum, you might have got it mixed up with someone else, but I want to be a cop, that might have been the post you saw.

I'll look around for deputy stickers that are cheaper than that and I'll send you a PM when I find a link

Comment

In 5th Grade is used to always chat with this officer who used to stand in front of the school every morning and I would chat with him till the bell ranged.
          Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector was unplugged.

Comment

DARE during elementary school.....

Then officers in my city used to hand out KC Royals baseball cards when they saw kids out playing.

Going with our SRO out on patrol for 'career' day in 6th grade.
            'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Never really had any memorable encounters when I was a kid. I don't remember seeing officers in DARE or anywhere besides on the road and parades. Only one I can think of is my dad getting pulled over on vacation in PA for speeding. I was maybe 8 years old and he was ****ed & cussing at the officer. After the stop him and my uncle were saying how wrong he was, he should do his job this way, ect.

Somehow I do remember thinking that the PO was right, and my dad was wrong. Funny how I could distinguish such a thing at such a young age.

edit: And now that I'm thinking about it, when I was maybe 6 yoa my mother took me to watch the K9's and their trainers practice bites, chases, and searching for drugs. She was friends with an officer from where she worked at the hospital, I think. I really liked one of the K9's, a handsome German Shepard. His officer gave me his dogs' version of a baseball card. Had a picture of him on one side and a description about him on the other. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever.
              Last edited by exdrip; 10-03-2008, 10:37 PM.
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

When I was sixteen, I was driving home with my oldest sister, and we had a crackhead follow us in a beat up truck, riding my tail all the way to our driveway. Now I wasn't going to pull in, because I knew I was being followed, and planned to loop back into town and go to the police station, or something! (Didn't have a cell phone at the time) Ends up I was pulled over by the ON my driveway, because that crackhead called 911 saying I was driving over 100+ mph on the main highway in our town. I hadn't gone above 55 at the most, and proceeded to tell that cop that...I was not happy.

Turns out that he really was a crack head, and had called in as a prank, and had before. When they tried to stop him again, he ran, then went to jail for awhile. To this day, I still don't know why he did it to me: case of mistaken identity, or just wrong place wrong time, because I had never seen the guy.

Made me want to be a cop so I could bust people like that. Now I want to be a Marine, but I did try for FHP.
                "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by exdrip View Post
                  Never really had any memorable encounters when I was a kid. I don't remember seeing officers in DARE or anywhere besides on the road and parades. Only one I can think of is my dad getting pulled over on vacation in PA for speeding. I was maybe 8 years old and he was ****ed & cussing at the officer. After the stop him and my uncle were saying how wrong he was, he should do his job this way, ect.

Somehow I do remember thinking that the PO was right, and my dad was wrong. Funny how I could distinguish such a thing at such a young age.

edit: And now that I'm thinking about it, when I was maybe 6 yoa my mother took me to watch the K9's and their trainers practice bites, chases, and searching for drugs. She was friends with an officer from where she worked at the hospital, I think. I really liked one of the K9's, a handsome German Shepard. His officer gave me his dogs' version of a baseball card. Had a picture of him on one side and a description about him on the other. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever.
                  That is really neat. I saw on cops officers handing out police cards to children in the neighborhood, it encouraged children in this ghetto type area to approach officers and not be afraid of them. I think it is a great idea.

05-2-09 Applied

01-13-09 Applied

sigpic

Comment

I would have to stay I have nothing BUT positive!

As a young kid in Elementary being introduced to the Police officer guy and taught about fire safety, don't go with strangers, don't stick knifes in toasters, etc etc. I remember him being REALLY tall (who isn't when your young? lol) and he had a really really bulging big adams apple. I remember a bunch of stuff on his belt and his cool uniform and his shinny silver badge. He would come to our school once and while, and the class would all huddle around him while he sat in a chair and talked to us. He also took us to the fire station once and showed us the fire station house with the Fire trucks. (Field trips were fun!) They also had that fake house thing where it would fill with fog/smoke and you had to get down to the floor and find your way out.

Then I think in like 5th grade we had DARE. Which was a fun program. Police guy would come I think once a week. We did activities and stuff. We had to write a report about why we won't do drugs and alchol. I obviously wrote a really good report because I won the contest and had to stand up in front of the school and read it. I wrote about my older brother doing drugs and how it affected him and my family. Hrmm, I wonder if I still have the report My mom probably kept it somewhere.

For the record, i've never even tried a cigarette! I didn't have any alcohol until 21 and a half. I guess DARE works!

I remember running up to police cars and talking to the officers, sometimes we would get cards.

I guess all of this positive influence stuff makes me want to be a Police officer.
                    sigpic
                    A Blog Of My Journey To Become a LEO

Comment

Same, I saw it on cops too I think it was in places like Philly and stuff. I really hope that the kids like that who they are handing baseball cards out to, make a difference and say "I want something better than this I don't want to be involved with drugs" and want to be involved getting the people who are in jail and try to get their life straightened out.

exdrip: I have one of those police k-9 unit cards too somewhere around here. Unfortunately the picture needs to be updated because we lost one of them, and the other dog in the picture is getting ready to retire. (Will that count as a collectible?)

Comment

When I was a kid I shared a bedroom with my one-year-younger brother. All the doors in the house had skeleton-key-type locks; it's a Victorian-era house. We generally left them all unlocked in the 1960s.

One day I got hold of an old spare skeleton key, and locked myself and my brother in our bedroom. I was showing off to my brother. We weren't allowed to lock any of the doors except the one in the bathroom, which always had the key in the lock on the inside. I guess I was about 5 years old.

When I tried to to unlock the door, the lock resisted, and I tried to force it. The key broke, and the end of it remained in the lock, so my Dad couldn't open it from the outside, despite all the screaming and crying I was doing.

My Dad said he was going to get Mr. B***r, who was the policeman who lived across the street. I was afraid that he was going to take me to jail for breaking the lock rule, but Dad assured me that he was just going to get the door open. I asked Dad if I was in trouble, and Dad said yes, but only with him and Mom, and that we'd worry about that later, and that it wasn't that much trouble. Dad said that because the hinges were on the inside, he couldn't just take them off, and that the Police knew how to open doors, and that he'd break the door himself if he had to do that to get us out.

My brother and I discussed and dismissed the possibility of climbing out the window and down the small tree next to it.

Mr. B***r was busy, so he couldn't handle the matter himself, but he good-naturedly called another policeman. That person came by the house, and tapped at the bedroom door. I asked who is it, and he said "I'm a policeman". I asked him "are you Mr. B***r?" He said no, but that he knew him.

He had me use the broken stick of the key to push the end of it that was stuck in the lock into a position where he could get to it with some needlenose pliers or something and pull it out, and then he opened the lock with another key.

When the door opened I asked "are you going to take me to jail"? He said no, but don't do that again, you talk to your Dad.

I said thanks to the nice officer, and my Dad and Mom were pretty nice to me about it. My brother just looked at me with a lot of relief and some mild reproach. I promised to never do it again.
                        Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

When I was 14, my cousin and I were driving home when officer "p" (he is still an officer) pulled us over. He was kinda cool, and I kept noticing all the pins on his shirt, and his cool radio earpiece and stuff. We got a ticket. When I was 17, and already enlisting in the Army, I saw a truck rollover right in front of me. There was a lady that pulled over calling 911, so I ran to the car. About the time I realized that the door wouldn't open, and there was alot of blood, "p" showed up, broke the window out with his wooden baton, and cut the dudes seatbelt with his knife. We got him out, and then he told me to go on, and that if I ever needed anything let him know. Later that night he stopped by my house to ask if I was ok. He sat down and talked to me and my folks about what had happened. It was awesome.

I don't remember every being afraid of police, or thinking they were bad. I see and hear alot of the opposite from kids, little kids, now that I am an officer.
                          "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

My dad was a deputy/investigator/detective all of my youth... from the time I was born until I was 17 or 18... I knew all the local police officers... they knew me... I never got away with ANYTHING. THEY ALWAYS told on me... Now I know why... They probably saved my life.

Comment

Growing up as a kid my little brother and cousin would have nightly encounters with neighborhood patrol officers; everything from throwing rocks at cars, to breaking into stuff. It was almost as if they were at our house three or more times a week to question them.

That really wasn't my thing and I had a different set of friends, also I went out with them one night to see what it would be like to do some of the stuff they did. The first activity of the night was throwing roof shingles at cars from a business. I tell you what, there was WAY too much running involved, and chances at getting your butt kicked. My time with the crime spree lasted less than 1 hour and I quit.

Then there would be times we would be out front playing baseball/football in the street and a cruiser would come by. Usually my cousin, brother and their friends would take off running for no reason. To their pleasing the officers would chase then even if they weren't looking for them for anything. One of the officers later told me if they are running they more than likely did something wrong or are wanted for something. After a while I got to know every officers who worked our part of town.

After several of the officers got to know me really well they got talking me about the police explorer program which at the time I never heard of before. A police officer from my church followed up on me after talking to the other officers and got me into the explorer program and youth Bible study. From there it was history.
                              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7475 users online. 372 members and 7103 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X