Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent Stryker
    replied
    A guy who looks out of shape and fat will probably be one of the most fastest and aggressive persons you'll ever deal with. Why do you think they have offensive and defensive linemen in football? Everybody can't be wideouts and cornerbacks. Departments need a few linemen too, ya know?

I am 5'11 1/2 and I weigh between 146 - 154lbs, slim & trim, in shape, right where I need to be. I am in the LEO process too. And I am small as hell but let me tell you something, I will FOCK somebody up if need be.

Leave a comment:

• DeputySC
    replied
    I am all for physical fitness and feel any police officer should be able to pass whatever fitness test before they are hired and even after they are on a regular basis.

At the same time, I have always worked out and stayed in the gym. Fitness tests have never been a problem for me. But Since I work permanent night shifts, alot of the time it is really hard to get the proper sleep and food my body needs to properly function. Sometimes I want to work out but feel to crappy because recently I barly got any sleep because I had court all day inbetween two night shifts and he only thing I had a choice of eating due to time restraints and lack of options was greasy waffel house or some other all nighter junk food place.

You cant go into the gym and workout off of like 6 hours sleep in two days and a two waffel house cheeseburgers.. Your body has no energy or fuel to work with.

However, I have been doing pretty good lately. Packing food for night shifts and working out every chance I get. Once I get out of bed around 4pm I make it to the gym around 5ish. Sometimes When I have to stay up late in the morning for court I may not be able to get out of bed in time for the gym to still be open. I still cant work out as good as I want to but I am still doing pretty good.
    However, im single and dont have a family to keep up with. The guys on my shift with wifes and kids can forget the gym.
    Last edited by DeputySC; 09-29-2008, 03:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ten8Teen
    replied
    Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.
    Pack a lunch/Dinner, throw in some healthy snacks so you dont "Have" to eat fast food. I know its tough being on FTO because you pretty much dont have much say. Plus, most fast food joints have better choices now than the old #3 combo. Good luck to ya

Leave a comment:

• Ten8Teen
    replied
    Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.
    Pack a lunch/Dinner, throw in some healthy snacks so you dont "Have" to eat fast food. I know its tough being on FTO because you pretty much dont have much say. Plus, most fast food joints have better choices now than the old #3 combo.

Leave a comment:

• rookie2006
    replied
    This is a live post I'm getting picked apart.

Leave a comment:

• rookie2006
    replied
    Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
    I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just point out the humor in calling the fat officers well-rounded.
    Most Veteran officers that have been on the force for several years are very knowledgeable in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• rookie2006
    replied
    Originally posted by code03kid View Post
    Working odd hours and not getting regular sleep, eating fast food and trying to carry on a normal family life is difficult at best. Then to add the pressures of a tremendously stressful job, one can see that weight gain can creep up on an officer before he/she knows it.

The public makes assumptions about the police based on our appearance be it right or wrong, it spawns topics like this. I’m a fluffy officer and I still can do my job effectively. I don’t have to use force on every suspect, often times I talk to them and gain their cooperation. I may have to use force but not as much as a newer officer that is still learning on how to be a cop. I am actively working on loosing weight and being healthier but that should be everybody’s goal weather you’re sworn or not. The judgmental public forgets that cops are people too.

L-1 gave some great insight to this topic as to why the majority of departments don’t mandate regular physical performance testing.
    I agree with you. I work out at least 3 days a week and being on FTO doesn't help. When I get off of FTO I will be able to change my diet back to a normal one. Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.

Leave a comment:

• rookie2006
    replied
    Here ya go some web sites that offer help for FOOD ADDICTS. Please review.

http://www.foodaddicts.org/

http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_addiction

http://www.realizationcenter.net/fdaddct.htm

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/m...food-addiction

Believe it or not it does exist.

Leave a comment:

• code03kid
    replied
    Redundant post
    Last edited by code03kid; 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM. Reason: Redundant post

Leave a comment:

• code03kid
    replied
    Working odd hours and not getting regular sleep, eating fast food and trying to carry on a normal family life is difficult at best. Then to add the pressures of a tremendously stressful job, one can see that weight gain can creep up on an officer before he/she knows it.

The public makes assumptions about the police based on our appearance be it right or wrong, it spawns topics like this. I’m a fluffy officer and I still can do my job effectively. I don’t have to use force on every suspect, often times I talk to them and gain their cooperation. I may have to use force but not as much as a newer officer that is still learning on how to be a cop. I am actively working on loosing weight and being healthier but that should be everybody’s goal weather you’re sworn or not. The judgmental public forgets that cops are people too.

L-1 gave some great insight to this topic as to why the majority of departments don’t mandate regular physical performance testing.

Leave a comment:

• JRODF4
    replied
    Im not fat im fluffy.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• texaschickeee
    replied
    Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
    I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just point out the humor in calling the fat officers well-rounded.

Leave a comment:

• The Cat
    replied
    I read this thread with interest. I had to lose alot of weight before i joined the job simly because i felt i wouldn't be able to perform it properly if i remained overweight. I obviously had to up my fitness levels and have a really hard look at my lifestyle.

I'm 25 old and i have been in the police for 2 years, i am 6ft 1 and weigh 82KG. I find it extremely important to maintain a level of fitness. It is another officers perogative if they do not want to maintain a level of fitness. I try to make sure i can help myself do my duty and also help others by staying in shape.

I would say NO to yearly fitness tests though as i think it would make several hundred officers in my force resign.......

Leave a comment:

• sinned
    replied
    Originally posted by rookie2006 View Post
    Believe it or not Sinned some people do suffer from food Food addictions.

Some people suffer from drinking to much as well.
    There are a lot of problems that center in on why people gain weight.

You maybe fine with your weight but I'm sure you have another weakness that you may not be proud of.
    Whatever

There are no addictions to food, it is called being lazy and having no will power. I have no more sympathy for food "addicts" than I do for alcoholics. Man up and admit your problem is entirely your problem and has nothing to do with any physical or physiological imbalance. If you eat too many Twinkies, it is simply because you don't have enough respect for yourself or your beat partners to put the junk food down.

Leave a comment:

• Wile E. Coyote
    replied
    Aww, someone's in a grouchy mood. Ok then, I was a 165-pound string bean on the street and never lost a fight. Yes, there were plenty but I found that using my mouth properly kept me out of far more fights than the large officers who relied on their size.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6172 users online. 352 members and 5820 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X