Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working odd hours and not getting regular sleep, eating fast food and trying to carry on a normal family life is difficult at best. Then to add the pressures of a tremendously stressful job, one can see that weight gain can creep up on an officer before he/she knows it.

The public makes assumptions about the police based on our appearance be it right or wrong, it spawns topics like this. I’m a fluffy officer and I still can do my job effectively. I don’t have to use force on every suspect, often times I talk to them and gain their cooperation. I may have to use force but not as much as a newer officer that is still learning on how to be a cop. I am actively working on loosing weight and being healthier but that should be everybody’s goal weather you’re sworn or not. The judgmental public forgets that cops are people too.

L-1 gave some great insight to this topic as to why the majority of departments don’t mandate regular physical performance testing.

Comment

Redundant post
      Last edited by code03kid; 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM. Reason: Redundant post

Comment

Here ya go some web sites that offer help for FOOD ADDICTS. Please review.

http://www.foodaddicts.org/

http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_addiction

http://www.realizationcenter.net/fdaddct.htm

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/m...food-addiction

Believe it or not it does exist.
        My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by code03kid View Post
          Working odd hours and not getting regular sleep, eating fast food and trying to carry on a normal family life is difficult at best. Then to add the pressures of a tremendously stressful job, one can see that weight gain can creep up on an officer before he/she knows it.

The public makes assumptions about the police based on our appearance be it right or wrong, it spawns topics like this. I’m a fluffy officer and I still can do my job effectively. I don’t have to use force on every suspect, often times I talk to them and gain their cooperation. I may have to use force but not as much as a newer officer that is still learning on how to be a cop. I am actively working on loosing weight and being healthier but that should be everybody’s goal weather you’re sworn or not. The judgmental public forgets that cops are people too.

L-1 gave some great insight to this topic as to why the majority of departments don’t mandate regular physical performance testing.
          I agree with you. I work out at least 3 days a week and being on FTO doesn't help. When I get off of FTO I will be able to change my diet back to a normal one. Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
            I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just point out the humor in calling the fat officers well-rounded.
            Most Veteran officers that have been on the force for several years are very knowledgeable in my opinion.

Comment

This is a live post I'm getting picked apart.

Comment

Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.
                Pack a lunch/Dinner, throw in some healthy snacks so you dont "Have" to eat fast food. I know its tough being on FTO because you pretty much dont have much say. Plus, most fast food joints have better choices now than the old #3 combo.

Comment

Fast food every night makes you gain weight quick.
                  Pack a lunch/Dinner, throw in some healthy snacks so you dont "Have" to eat fast food. I know its tough being on FTO because you pretty much dont have much say. Plus, most fast food joints have better choices now than the old #3 combo. Good luck to ya

Comment

I am all for physical fitness and feel any police officer should be able to pass whatever fitness test before they are hired and even after they are on a regular basis.

At the same time, I have always worked out and stayed in the gym. Fitness tests have never been a problem for me. But Since I work permanent night shifts, alot of the time it is really hard to get the proper sleep and food my body needs to properly function. Sometimes I want to work out but feel to crappy because recently I barly got any sleep because I had court all day inbetween two night shifts and he only thing I had a choice of eating due to time restraints and lack of options was greasy waffel house or some other all nighter junk food place.

You cant go into the gym and workout off of like 6 hours sleep in two days and a two waffel house cheeseburgers.. Your body has no energy or fuel to work with.

However, I have been doing pretty good lately. Packing food for night shifts and working out every chance I get. Once I get out of bed around 4pm I make it to the gym around 5ish. Sometimes When I have to stay up late in the morning for court I may not be able to get out of bed in time for the gym to still be open. I still cant work out as good as I want to but I am still doing pretty good.
                    However, im single and dont have a family to keep up with. The guys on my shift with wifes and kids can forget the gym.
                    Last edited by DeputySC; 09-29-2008, 03:47 AM.

Comment

A guy who looks out of shape and fat will probably be one of the most fastest and aggressive persons you'll ever deal with. Why do you think they have offensive and defensive linemen in football? Everybody can't be wideouts and cornerbacks. Departments need a few linemen too, ya know?

I am 5'11 1/2 and I weigh between 146 - 154lbs, slim & trim, in shape, right where I need to be. I am in the LEO process too. And I am small as hell but let me tell you something, I will FOCK somebody up if need be.

"The only people you need in your life are the one's who can show you how much they need you in theirs."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4418 users online. 245 members and 4173 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X