Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm about 5'10" 230 lbs and I'm constantly going down to 215lbs and then back up at times. I believe I do my job the best I can. I had to pass a PAT test before I was hired and made it.

I was injured while in the academy and I had to redo it a second time just to make it .

The point is officers that are overweight like myself want to be fit and good looking in our uniforms but some of us are just people who suffer from different illness or some have food addictions.

there are a few really overweight officers in my department but what I have found out that these guys are usually the smartest well rounded people you would ever want to be around .

Speed may be an issue with the weight an overweight officer carries but life as a police officer is not always running code 3 or chasing the bad guy.

So I believe we as overweight officers know our downfalls and weakness and we can always improve but we shouldn't be thought of as lower class officers or un fit for the job.

In my personal journey I was once 307 lbs and I still strive to loose the weight . I want to be 5' 10" 180 lbs but I have a ways to go.

Just remember what one officer may be lacking in one area another officer may be weaker in other areas.

The point is there is no perfect police officer. In my opinion there is only a perfect image that exist in every officer as what they want to be.
    we all could improve in some area .
    My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie2006 View Post
      The point is officers that are overweight like myself want to be fit and good looking in our uniforms but some of us are just people who suffer from different illness or some have food addictions.
      You have got to be kidding??? Food addictions? Are you really going to blame being overweight on an addiction?

Speed may be an issue with the weight an overweight officer carries but life as a police officer is not always running code 3 or chasing the bad guy.
      I don’t care if you are always running code 3 or not, I only care about the one time you have to because its my arse calling for cover.

So I believe we as overweight officers know our downfalls and weakness and we can always improve but we shouldn't be thought of as lower class officers or un fit for the job.
      You are unfit for the job if you can’t keep up, plain and simple.

Just remember what one officer may be lacking in one area another officer may be weaker in other areas.
      Last time I checked, nobody got hurt because someone wasn’t as “up” on G.O. or P&P as the next guy. Paperwork can always get figured out later, physical stuff happens right now.

Comment

double post
        Last edited by sinned; 09-25-2008, 02:39 AM.

Comment

The point is there is no perfect police officer. In my opinion there is only a perfect image that exist in every officer as what they want to be.
          we all could improve in some area .
          So which one is the point? Put down the the twinkie and start making sense

But seriously, my point is... I am perfect!

Comment

I have never saw a cop too fat to deploy a taser but seriously, should we be considering the little guys too? I know more 130lb ers get it handed to them then 300lb ers. Guess my 225 is the "happy median"

Comment

Believe it or not Sinned some people do suffer from food Food addictions.

Some people suffer from drinking to much as well.
              There are a lot of problems that center in on why people gain weight.

You maybe fine with your weight but I'm sure you have another weakness that you may not be proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                So which one is the point? Put down the the twinkie and start making sense

But seriously, my point is... I am perfect!
                I had a couple of points that both made sense. I'm glad your perfect.

Comment

I remember in academy that they strongly encouraged us to stay in shape. It is very important that you maintain a decent standard of physical abilities. I have seen that episode of COPS, that is pretty funny, embarassing for the suspect, and I am sure that Officer was excited.

That being said, I worked for a LT who at one point in his life, weighed over 500 lbs. After having surgery, he still weighed 350 lbs. He was made fun of, and had great dificulties getting in and out of the vehicle. But did it affect his job performance. You betcha! I hated working with him on the streets, because I knew if someone ran from him, I would be the runner....while he drove the car.

I have gained a few pounds since becoming a Police Officer...about 15-20. But I know that it was my lack of physical activity and poor eating habits, that allowed me to gain that weight. Now, I am having to work extra hard in the gym to lose those pounds. It's much easier to work out a few days a week to maintain your fitness, than to work out trying to lose pounds.

Comment

there are a few really overweight officers in my department but what I have found out that these guys are usually the smartest well rounded people you would ever want to be around .
                    I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just point out the humor in calling the fat officers well-rounded.

Comment

I just wanted to add that I watch the "work out" channel. Now back to the thread....

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Aww, someone's in a grouchy mood. Ok then, I was a 165-pound string bean on the street and never lost a fight. Yes, there were plenty but I found that using my mouth properly kept me out of far more fights than the large officers who relied on their size.

Comment

Believe it or not Sinned some people do suffer from food Food addictions.

Some people suffer from drinking to much as well.
                          There are a lot of problems that center in on why people gain weight.

You maybe fine with your weight but I'm sure you have another weakness that you may not be proud of.
                          Whatever

There are no addictions to food, it is called being lazy and having no will power. I have no more sympathy for food "addicts" than I do for alcoholics. Man up and admit your problem is entirely your problem and has nothing to do with any physical or physiological imbalance. If you eat too many Twinkies, it is simply because you don't have enough respect for yourself or your beat partners to put the junk food down.

Comment

I read this thread with interest. I had to lose alot of weight before i joined the job simly because i felt i wouldn't be able to perform it properly if i remained overweight. I obviously had to up my fitness levels and have a really hard look at my lifestyle.

I'm 25 old and i have been in the police for 2 years, i am 6ft 1 and weigh 82KG. I find it extremely important to maintain a level of fitness. It is another officers perogative if they do not want to maintain a level of fitness. I try to make sure i can help myself do my duty and also help others by staying in shape.

I would say NO to yearly fitness tests though as i think it would make several hundred officers in my force resign.......
                            Official Magnum Field Tester - Earn Your Boots here http://www.magnumboots.com/uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
                              I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just point out the humor in calling the fat officers well-rounded.
                              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

Im not fat im fluffy.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6852 users online. 363 members and 6489 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X