Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat Cops!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fat Cops!

    Edited to clear up confusion...

    Why is it that departments are so strict on weight into proportion to height and passing a PAT but do not keep up with it once you get hired? From some of the LEO's I have seen on TV (and I could be completely wrong) are so fat I can not understand how they can perform their job effectively. I know this could be a huge officer safety issue if your back up can not even get out of the car with out huffing and puffing.
    Last edited by FireCop86; 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

    "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

  • #2
    Some "old school" agencies maybe dont have a PT test (mine didnt).... and these guys were slim when they joined. Now, they are pretty "grandfathered" in even tho, perhaps, the agency now does PT tests or yearly fitness tests.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

    I Am the Sheepdog.


    "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks


    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      How about you get sworn first. Then, feel free to talk smack about those that have done more than you. I am not in the shape i was when I first got hired, but there arent too many guys that have been around for 10 or more years that are. Personally I would rather have a fat cop than an over anxious newbie at my side.
      "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm a little big but I can still run my 1.5 mile in 10-11 min and I lift about 4 times a week. I'd say I'm more fit than most of the people I meet on a given shift. While I don't like my extra weight (it runs in the family) it's kinds of nice because I think it causes people to underestimate my speed. I run prettty fast for a chubby kid.

        Hobbsie

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
          How about you get sworn first. Then, feel free to talk smack about those that have done more than you. I am not in the shape i was when I first got hired, but there arent too many guys that have been around for 10 or more years that are. Personally I would rather have a fat cop than an over anxious newbie at my side.
          I am not talking about people getting hired then not being in the shape they use to be in. I am talking about fat cops that are not able to perform their jobs anymore and pose a high risk to officer safety. I do not need to be sworn to express my feelings. I am not talking "smack" about fat cops I am stating the fact that really fat cops can not perform their job. Seems like you are taking this thread too personally, could it be that you are one of those cops that I described?
          This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

          "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hobbsie711 View Post
            I'm a little big but I can still run my 1.5 mile in 10-11 min and I lift about 4 times a week. I'd say I'm more fit than most of the people I meet on a given shift. While I don't like my extra weight (it runs in the family) it's kinds of nice because I think it causes people to underestimate my speed. I run prettty fast for a chubby kid.

            Hobbsie
            There is nothing wrong with having "extra weight" as long as you can still do your job effectively.
            This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

            "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
              Some "old school" agencies maybe dont have a PT test (mine didnt).... and these guys were slim when they joined. Now, they are pretty "grandfathered" in even tho, perhaps, the agency now does PT tests or yearly fitness tests.
              Could be. I know an officer that works in that department I should ask. Does your dept now have a yearly PT test or something like that?
              This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

              "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
                How about you get sworn first. Then, feel free to talk smack about those that have done more than you. I am not in the shape i was when I first got hired, but there arent too many guys that have been around for 10 or more years that are. Personally I would rather have a fat cop than an over anxious newbie at my side.
                Easy JSO, I don't think Firecop was talking smack, one does not have to be sworn to form an opinion on how obesity might effect someone's job. I was in the military and herd people discuss this very same thing, I would never say "Go threw basic training first, then you could talk".

                It's more of concern when people discuss weight issue regarding individuals that are in a position of public safety. People understand law enforcement is a high stress job, that involves overpowering people sometimes, fighting with people if need be, chasing people if it comes to that and so on.

                You think of those things and then see an obese/overweight LEO and you think, "How could they possibly do all of that"?

                Visual perception is key, people see an in-shape officer and it automatically looks 100% better than an overweight officer. It doesn't mean the overweight guy can't keep up with the rest but people come to a lot of conclusions just off looks alone.

                CrossFit

                RossTraining

                Comment


                • #9
                  I get it now, some people are just a "little" too fat to pass the basic entrance exams for the academy and it makes them upset others that are equally as fat, if not more so got in. I knew that intro to Psychology class I took all those years ago would pay off.
                  Last edited by JSODEP5338; 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling error
                  "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
                    I get it now, some poeple are just a "little" too fat to pass the basic entrance exams for the academy and it makes them upset others that are equally as fat, if not more so got in. I knew that intro to Psychology class I took all those years ago would pay off.
                    Yes I am too fat and out of shape to pass the PAT, hence why I said I have been working my arse off to get there. I am not upset at others for getting into the academy or being a LEO more power to them. What I don't understand and apparently what you are failing to realize is that what I am saying is that fat cops that are unable to preform their duties are an officer safety issue and that departments need to be more strict on that issue. Instead of taking a psychology class you should have taken a logic class so you would understand. Also stop trying to make yourself feel better by thinking your coming up with witty responses because you can say what you want it doesn't bother me, but apparently what I said bothered you and that is the bigger problem.
                    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

                    "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=JSODEP5338;1421375]I get it now, some poeple are just a "little" too fat to pass the basic entrance exams for the academy and it makes them upset others that are equally as fat, if not more so got in.[QUOTE]

                      I don't know if that's case for Firecop, could be, honestly I don't know. For me, it's not a problem at all.

                      But pertaining to the basic entrance exams, myself personally I could care less how big or small you are. If you can pass the basic physical exam, I don't care if your 300 or 110, I say more power to ya.

                      CrossFit

                      RossTraining

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
                        Yes I am too fat and out of shape to pass the PAT, hence why I said I have been working my arse off to get there. I am not upset at others for getting into the academy or being a LEO more power to them. What I don't understand and apparently what you are failing to realize is that what I am saying is that fat cops that are unable to preform their duties are an officer safety issue and that departments need to be more strict on that issue. Instead of taking a psychology class you should have taken a logic class so you would understand. Also stop trying to make yourself feel better by thinking your coming up with witty responses because you can say what you want it doesn't bother me, but apparently what I said bothered you and that is the bigger problem.
                        Your first mistake was watching "Cops". Secondly, how can you judge their actions as a LEO when you are not one yourself and don't have a clue as to what these "fat" cops can or cannot do that you talk of?

                        Yes there are some LEO's out there that may not "look" good in the uniform, but if they can qualify when they need to and perform their daily duties, then what is so wrong with that? Not every LEO out there gets in a foot chase everyday or have to wrestle with a suspect. These LEO's you speak of are most likely outstanding cops and have been for their career.

                        Ease up and if you want the job, then worry about yourself.
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its one reasons soem departments have tried to reintroduce the PT as a part of continued employment. Some however will not let it fly.

                          Though I know the differance of what firecop has said, and how JSODEP responded, I thik it was fire cop that took it to personally. I, too would rather have a fat cop back me before a anxious newbie. but thats just me.
                          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                          Oscar Wilde

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i like fat cops. most are easy going and freindly. but when fat cop catches a criminal, i'd love to see the fat cop sit his fat butt on a criminal head and have his skinny back up cop cuff the criminal.
                            break censorship chains

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                              Your first mistake was watching "Cops". Secondly, how can you judge their actions as a LEO when you are not one yourself and don't have a clue as to what these "fat" cops can or cannot do that you talk of?

                              Yes there are some LEO's out there that may not "look" good in the uniform, but if they can qualify when they need to and perform their daily duties, then what is so wrong with that? Not every LEO out there gets in a foot chase everyday or have to wrestle with a suspect. These LEO's you speak of are most likely outstanding cops and have been for their career.

                              Ease up and if you want the job, then worry about yourself.
                              What's wrong with watching Cops? So let's say I made a mistake in judgement and that these officers can still preform the basic skills of an officer. What about other cops who can not? Why are they still allowed to be a police officer? Why do more departments not have physical agility standards?
                              This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

                              "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6864 users online. 357 members and 6507 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X