300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling fake drugs

This came up in the ask a cop section and I thought Id pose the question here.

If you were to pull me over in a neighborhood known for drugs deals, and found what looked like weed/pot and turned out to be oregano, would I be charged with anything other than stupidity?
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Most guys don't want to use the fraud laws to protect the trade in real dope.

Comment

In my state if you represented it as drugs the penalty is the same.

Nothing says "future Darwin award winner" like getting arrested for pretending to have drugs.

Comment

since you're not really selling drugs you can't be arrested for it I suppose.

Comment

i would imagine there would be a lot more boneheads out there trying to make money off of baking soda and oregano if they wouldn't also get in trouble for selling it. not to mention getting their butts kicked by the addicts...

although, marijuana has a very distinctive odor, so methinks it would be a lot more difficult to trick someone buying pot than some powdery substance. who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
            In my state if you represented it as drugs the penalty is the same.

Nothing says "future Darwin award winner" like getting arrested for pretending to have drugs.

What defines "representing"? Attempted sale only or mere possesion in similar packaging? The latter I would take issue with. My mom has some containers of Hawaiian rock salt; it looks just like crystal meth.

Comment

Your heading refers to selling. The question refers to possessing. There is a big difference.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

In PA if it is packaged to look like dope, it is dope.....probly get plead down to a small offence.

Comment

Had a client about a year or so back, that had wax made to look like crack rocks. He was in the 'hood. He had it on his peson, and guess what?
                  He got charged as if it was real. He had also sold one to a guy not long before being arrested, and as he was cuffed the guy came up and beat the crap out of him. (I'm guessing the officer was busy writng a report or something, being the charming indiviaul that he was) and then got charged not only with poss, but poss, W/I to deleiver.

had 8 years probation plus all the extras that make probation fun.
                  ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                    What defines "representing"? Attempted sale only or mere possesion in similar packaging?
                    "(a) Except as provided in AS 11.73.050 , a person may not manufacture, deliver, or possess with intent to deliver, an imitation controlled substance.

The exception in 11.73.050 is for a doctor giving placebos.

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
                      since you're not really selling drugs you can't be arrested for it I suppose.
                      Wrong... If you have oregeno in small baggies and I treat it like drugs regardless... Now if you have it in a spice container labeled "Oregeno" I will would be happy.

Whether some sissy prosecuter is scared to hold up the charges is out of my control but you will probably go straight to jail and not collect $200.
                      ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

If it's packaged and presented in the same manner as the narcotic it resembles, you'll be charged with the same crime as if it were.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MICHIGAN:

I'd arrest you for possession of a controlled-substance analogue. Penalties are the same as for the real thing.

Comment

It's a stupid idea, but I can't bring myself to agree with such a law.

So if the drug isn't even real, and won't do anything, you get charged the same just because it looks real??

Why are drugs illegal again?
                            When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                              If it's packaged and presented in the same manner as the narcotic it resembles, you'll be charged with the same crime as if it were.
                              +1 in Texas

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12377 users online. 520 members and 11857 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X