• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another teen dropped off under safe haven law

Published Saturday September 20, 2008
    Another teen dropped off under safe haven law
    BY ANDREW J. NELSON
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Another youngster has been dropped off at a hospital under Nebraska's new safe haven law.

A 13-year-old girl was left Saturday at Immanuel Medical Center in Omaha, said Kathie Osterman, a spokeswoman for the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.

The girl was dropped off around noon. Police were called, and the girl was then turned over to child protective services, Osterman said.

Todd Landry, director of the Nebraska Division of Children and Family Services, said the girl did not appear to be in any immediate danger.

"Apparently they were having some problems," he said of the girl's family. "Within the hospital, the parent did not provide any specifics . . . and left the child somewhat abruptly."

The safe haven law was intended to protect unwanted newborns, but so far two teenagers and a pre-teen have been dropped off.

"Clearly, clearly, this is not what the Legislature intended," Landry said.

Nebraska's safe haven law does not set an age limit on the children who can be left at hospitals. That potentially means children up to age 19 can be dropped off.

The maximum age under safe haven laws in other states is 1 year old, and most limit dropoffs to within 72 hours to one month after birth.

The Nebraska law took effect in July and was used twice Sept. 13, both times by people dropping off misbehaving youths.

An 11-year-old boy was dropped off on that date at Immanuel. A 15-year-old boy was left at BryanLGH Medical Center West in Lincoln. Both boys were placed in state custody.

Nebraska was the last U.S. state to adopt a safe haven law.

• Contact the writer: 444-3106, [email protected]
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

How are your states safe haven laws compared to ours? This last couple weeks it seems as if parents are dropping off their troubled kids just because they can't handle them.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Texas Law includes:

§ 22.041. ABANDONING OR ENDANGERING CHILD. (a) In this
      section, "abandon" means to leave a child in any place without
      providing reasonable and necessary care for the child, under
      circumstances under which no reasonable, similarly situated adult
      would leave a child of that age and ability.
      (b) A person commits an offense if, having custody, care, or
      control of a child younger than 15 years, he intentionally abandons
      the child in any place under circumstances that expose the child to
      an unreasonable risk of harm.
      (h) It is an exception to the application of this section
      that the actor voluntarily delivered the child to a designated
      emergency infant care provider under Section 262.302, Family Code

§ 262.302. ACCEPTING POSSESSION OF CERTAIN ABANDONED
      CHILDREN. (a) A designated emergency infant care provider shall,
      without a court order, take possession of a child who appears to be
      60 days old or younger if the child is voluntarily delivered to the
      provider by the child's parent and the parent did not express an
      intent to return for the child.

Based on the above, the Tx legislature has limited the abandoning of a child without criminal consequences to abandoning a child that "appears to be 60 days old or younger". In the situations you provided, I would expect my officers to file a criminal case and contact Child Protective Services for care of the teen/pre-teen.

NTxSarge

Comment

Infant Safe Haven Laws- California

Infant's Age
        Statute:
        Penal Code § 271.5
        72 hours or younger

Who May Relinquish the Infant
        Statute
        : Penal Code § 271.5
        Parent
        Other person having lawful custody

Who May Receive the Infant
        Statute
        A safe-surrender site that includes:
        Public or private hospital
        Any location designated by the County Board of Supervisors

Responsibilities of the Safe Haven Provider
        Statute
        : Health & Safety Code § 1255.7

Provide medical care
        Provide parent with medical questionnaire
        Place coded identification ankle bracelet on child and offer a matching bracelet to the parent
        Notify Child Protective Services

Immunity for the Provider
        Statute
        Yes

Protection for Relinquishing Parent
        Statute
        No person leaving an infant with a safe haven provider may be prosecuted for abandonment, failure to provide, or desertion

Effect on Parental Rights
        Statute

Department will file dependency petition
        Parent has 14 days to reclaim child

http://library.adoption.com/infant-s...le/8461/1.html
        This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

+1 NTxSarge
          Here it is called "the Moses" Law. As the bible Moses person was drifted down a river for safety in a basketwork craft. I do believe that all "safe haven" laws are built on this, 60 days or less.
          sorry but its heart breaking that any parent could, and would drop a kid that old off and say buh bye. tells the kid that not are they not only not loved they aren't worth fighting for. I couldn't image doing that to a "bigger" kid.

I hope they charge her. In Texas they always re enforce the statement "They must be left in a safe place" not just out for them to find.
          of course the problem is that no matter how they are left, they call the police. That is what scares so many people. they feel they are going to be arrested , when they already feel lower then dirt.
          I am however glad they have these laws.

sadder yet, in all these tough times, we are seeing more and more dropping the kids off and say they can't "afford, or do it" any longer.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

I can think of VERY few situations where kids grew up cr*ppy in a nice home situation. Typically, the apple fars not far from the tree.

Too many times do I hear: "You can take him/her, I don't want them anymore." Uuuuuhhhhhhh ....... not MY kid. YOU chose to have him/her and raise him/her into a POS. Why should I (as a tax payer/employee of the state) have to pay?
            Space for rent .........

Comment

There have been plenty of times I would have LIKED to dump my teenagers. Does that count?

Comment

^^^ theres a BIG BIG difference between thinking about it and doing it.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                  theres a BIG BIG difference between thinking about it and doing it.
                  Believe me, I've thought about it!

Comment

Hey Velobard,

I've had an on-going conversation with my daughter for a number of years about teens that turn into aliens for awhile before growing out of it and becoming human again. She is 13 and assures me that she won't become an alien. Although she hasn't yet......I don't believe her.

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                      I can think of VERY few situations where kids grew up cr*ppy in a nice home situation. Typically, the apple fars not far from the tree.

Too many times do I hear: "You can take him/her, I don't want them anymore." Uuuuuhhhhhhh ....... not MY kid. YOU chose to have him/her and raise him/her into a POS. Why should I (as a tax payer/employee of the state) have to pay?
                      'Cause you're gonna pay anyway? Unfair as you think it is, that's the reality, we aren't immune from other people's decisions... How best to mitigate their negative impact is the question.

Comment

Load up the car kids....we're going to Nebraska!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Double Post
                          Last edited by UH60RAT; 09-22-2008, 02:13 AM. Reason: Double Post
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UH60RAT View Post
                            Load up the car kids....we're going to Nebraska!!
                            Haha,

I was gonna say, Nebraska better fix that law fast, or they're going to experience rapid population growth.

Comment

Originally posted by nr5667 View Post
                              'Cause you're gonna pay anyway? Unfair as you think it is, that's the reality, we aren't immune from other people's decisions... How best to mitigate their negative impact is the question.
                              The easier we make it for people to run away from consequences, the worse it will get in the future. Let the kids stay with cr*ppy parents - maybe they won't have more. Throw the POS kid in jail we he gets older - with real time to serve and no pampering, then maybe others will see this as an example.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4615 users online. 282 members and 4333 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X