300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with the concensus of police activity

Sorry, I half to go on a rant here. Its gonna be kind of a long read but whatever here we go. So atleast here in my local town, the police-especially the city police-have a really bad reputation and I am CONSTANTLY hearing about how corrupt they are, how there tactics are un-professional, and how they "shoot first, question later". Now, I personally only have one situation that comes to mind and I have always wondered what others think of this situation. A few years ago, a young kid I went to highschool with was shot and killed by a local police officer for hiding in the bushes with an unloaded WW2 style rifle with a bayonet on it and charging the police police officer repeatadly after being told to stop and drop it (also, after an autopsy it was foundn out he had high levels of alcohol and other drugs in his system)-I even heard the recording of the incident. Now, not being a cop (yet, hopefully) I or anyone of the other thousands of highschool kids who now hate the local police with all their heart, am not qualified to judge the situation but from what I heard and saw about the incident I really couldnt think of another practical response. The young kid had a rifle that had a bayonet on it (the officer had no idea whether it was loaded or not) and was repeatedly charging the cop and threatening to kill him. Now, from this incident has sprung the "new" style hatered for police in my city calling them a bunch of ___________(enter hatred comment).

Now, after telling my family and friends that I am thinking about going into LE and that I have a desire to be a local cop one day, they have all tended to laugh, ridicule and have even questioned my personal integrity for wanting to go into this position. They are the kind of people who believe the only reason men/women go into LE is to "get back" (whatever that means) and to be in a position of extreme authority over everyone else on the streets. I know from ride alongs with local cops that they have personally stated they "tend to see the bad side of humanity" and their views on others can become jaded after a few years. However, that does not really bother me as I grew up with kids who were, as I see it, not the "best" of humanity. Kids were OD'ing, dying from drugs, becoming addicted to drugs, having kids at 15 yrs old and failing out of school.

I am constantly hearing crap from my family and friends about how cops are nothing but a bunch of cowards who are put into a position of authority and have a gun so people will show respect. I am always telling them that there just doing their job they were entrusted with and if they are constantly criticizing their tactics then they must have something to hide themselves. It has almost gotten to the point where I really dont wanna be around some of my original friends cause there still the ones sittin on their asses drinkin and doing jack S*** all the while tellin me how they hate police officers and cant believe I wanna be one.

Sorry if this sounds like a complete rant but I just had to type something to express this. Am I the only one gets s*** about going into or being in this profession? Did any of you guys have trouble with others when you told them what you wanted to be in LE? What was your respone to alligations if you had any like this? I am almost done with my CJ degree and I am surprisignly learning alot about the local police tactics because we have had the honor of having the Sheriff Deputy come speak and the chief of police. But anyways, sorry I just had to write this.

Cheers!-Elliot

Originally posted by Esalmon21 View Post
    Sorry, I half to go on a rant here. Its gonna be kind of a long read but whatever here we go. So atleast here in my local town, the police-especially the city police-have a really bad reputation and I am CONSTANTLY hearing about how corrupt they are, how there tactics are un-professional, and how they "shoot first, question later". Now, I personally only have one situation that comes to mind and I have always wondered what others think of this situation. A few years ago, a young kid I went to highschool with was shot and killed by a local police officer for hiding in the bushes with an unloaded WW2 style rifle with a bayonet on it and charging the police police officer repeatadly after being told to stop and drop it (also, after an autopsy it was foundn out he had high levels of alcohol and other drugs in his system)-I even heard the recording of the incident. Now, not being a cop (yet, hopefully) I or anyone of the other thousands of highschool kids who now hate the local police with all their heart, am not qualified to judge the situation but from what I heard and saw about the incident I really couldnt think of another practical response. The young kid had a rifle that had a bayonet on it (the officer had no idea whether it was loaded or not) and was repeatedly charging the cop and threatening to kill him. Now, from this incident has sprung the "new" style hatered for police in my city calling them a bunch of ___________(enter hatred comment).

Now, after telling my family and friends that I am thinking about going into LE and that I have a desire to be a local cop one day, they have all tended to laugh, ridicule and have even questioned my personal integrity for wanting to go into this position. They are the kind of people who believe the only reason men/women go into LE is to "get back" (whatever that means) and to be in a position of extreme authority over everyone else on the streets. I know from ride alongs with local cops that they have personally stated they "tend to see the bad side of humanity" and their views on others can become jaded after a few years. However, that does not really bother me as I grew up with kids who were, as I see it, not the "best" of humanity. Kids were OD'ing, dying from drugs, becoming addicted to drugs, having kids at 15 yrs old and failing out of school.

I am constantly hearing crap from my family and friends about how cops are nothing but a bunch of cowards who are put into a position of authority and have a gun so people will show respect. I am always telling them that there just doing their job they were entrusted with and if they are constantly criticizing their tactics then they must have something to hide themselves. It has almost gotten to the point where I really dont wanna be around some of my original friends cause there still the ones sittin on their asses drinkin and doing jack S*** all the while tellin me how they hate police officers and cant believe I wanna be one.

Sorry if this sounds like a complete rant but I just had to type something to express this. Am I the only one gets s*** about going into or being in this profession? Did any of you guys have trouble with others when you told them what you wanted to be in LE? What was your respone to alligations if you had any like this? I am almost done with my CJ degree and I am surprisignly learning alot about the local police tactics because we have had the honor of having the Sheriff Deputy come speak and the chief of police. But anyways, sorry I just had to write this.

Cheers!-Elliot
    You want to be a cop... be a cop. Do it for you, not them. If your friends don't like it and don't support you for what you want to do, they are not real friends.

Family is a different story. Some family members will hate the idea of you becoming a cop because they are afraid you will get hurt, killed, etc. You can not change that kind of worry, thats the way it is. My mother hated (and still hates) the idea of me being a cop. She screamed and yelled at me for a few days and then when she realized I was doing it anyway, she started learning to cope with her fears for me.

You want to join a profession where you need thick skin. I get called racist, cracker, homo and pig every day I put on the uniform. I am told I should be out catching murderers and drug dealers rather than stop cars and suspicious people. Especially in new york, people walk by you and scream "Sean Bell" etc... Use this time to learn how to deal with criticism, even from those closest to you. It will become very important if you embark on this career.

I haven't been out of the academy long but what you are going through is very fresh in my mind still, so I figured I would answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

LE is not the line of work to go into to be popular, that is for sure and I dont think anybody's family likes their loved one choosing a dangerous job. But it is a honorable profession that is filled with good people, if it is what you think you want to do go give it a try.
      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

Who cares what your friends think? They're a bunch of idiots. It's good that you don't want to hang out with them, because when it comes to background investigations, you are who you associate with.

As far as your family goes, same for the guy above me. If your family doesn't want it because of danger and what not, they'll eventually work through that (not get over it, just through it). If they don't want you to for the same reasons your friends don't, than who cares. I can tell you now that I have very few of the same friends now a year and a half on the job that I did before the job. A lot of people just straight up don't like cops. If you're gonna be on the job, you'll just have to get over it.

If you want people to like you (and to make more money, and to eat better at work, and to have more time with the family), go be a firefighter. If you want a bada-- job which few people regret getting into (there is a thread on it in a different forum, I think out of 10-15 responses 1 person had regret), come join us.

Comment

When your friends, or the people in your town say "they", meaning the Police, ("fuz" or "cops" or "pigs" whatever), who are they referring to? You need to think of it this way, they are just people doing their job, and they are not robots. The position of authority isn't all of it. I have more times then not been a mediator, a councelor, a driver, a person that will help an elderly woman close her garage door. It may be hard for you to decide between career and friends/family. Just like somebody said, my mother isn't very fond of my career choice, and sometimes drops hints of other types of jobs. Some of my "friends" in school are now drunks, stoners, a few have been to prison. (does any of this make sense? It's late) Officers are all kinds of people: Some are bankrupt, drinkers, speeders, single, married, devorced, wealthy (no for real) some live for the job, some do their 8 and go home and forget the job. They are all kinds of people, but they come in and work. The worst part of it is when an incident occurs, like it did where you were. Thankfully where I am at, the Police are very respected. But, let just one officer pepperspray an honor student, or arrest a doctor, and that might change. The people in your city/town see the worst part. Now that I wrote all of that and don't remember it, I will only give one little piece of advice. Not advice, just something to think about..Maybe you don't want to work in that town, or county. You will have to deal with the people that you are referening. Get that degree and come on out.
          "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

Usually when family or friends challenge your career decision like that, they are actually trying to engage you in a debate or argument, in order to change your mind. There is nothing to gain by fighting with them and you really don't want to give them the satisfaction of letting them goad you into an argument every time you see them.

When this happened to me I would simply look at them like I absorbed every word they said and at the first opening I got, said "OK" and changed the subject. When they asked if I had changed my mind, I told them they had made some excellent points and that I need to think about it. Then I just did what I wanted. Quickly I learned who I could discuss my career goals with and who I could not.

Obviously you have to learn who you can share your dreams with and who you can't. You can't pick your relatives, so just stop discussing your career goals with those who do not support you. But friends are another story. It's understandable that friends sometimes don't share the same values as you and may not support your dreams. That's ok. But when they are unable to remain neutral and feel it necessary to personally attack you because of your career choices, they are no longer your friends. It's time to let them go and find new friends.
            Last edited by L-1; 09-21-2008, 05:32 AM.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Don't go into LE if you still want to be popular with all your friends. If you go into LE, you'll get new friends. Better friends that you can trust with your life, and (I hear) the best job on earth. Don't let anyone discourage you and keep your nose clean from here on out. Good luck.
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Post has been edited.
                Last edited by MarioS; 02-18-2011, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I notice your profile indicates your in Idaho. Beautiful state if I may say so but apparently a hotbed of anti government and police sentiment. Good luck

Comment

Only the respectable members of society respect the police.
                    When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Thanks for the support guys

Ya, I do find it very true that those who respect the police and the service they supply to the community are usually the ones who are respected individuals themselves (and not just for their job or how much money they make). I am very quickly learning about my "friends" and if its even wise to associate with them any more cause god knows they are not up to the best of activites and that I half to stay clean for the next year or so untill I start applying. I am really thinking about applying with some departments far away, most likely in other states, but I do have a strong attatchment to the city I have been in all of my life and would love to work here one day also. Anyways, thanks guys!

Cheers!-Elliot

Comment

Very excellent responses above. The only thing I wish to add is this:

My father was former LE at one time. One of the biggest things he tried to drill into us ( my sister and I ) was that throughout life you are going to meet people that are either going to like you or not like you. IF they like you and want to be friends, thats great. IF they don't like you, well thats on them, its their loss not yours. You have to do what you feel is right for you because you will have to live with those decisions for the rest of your life, not some Joe Blow down the street who only cares about satisfying themselves. Don't waste time with so called friends that don't want to support you for what you want to do in life.

Family can be a different story. Most of the time they will get through it, sometimes not. I know of a LEO that had to totally distance himself from his family because of the type of individuals that they are.

Bottom line is that you have to do what is right for you. Surround yourself with people that are genuinely interested in your well being. Not ones that are only interested in how life relates to themselves. That's just plain selfishness on their part and most of the time you will see right through them.
                        www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
                        In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Originally posted by enterthedragon
                          We get crap...it just comes with the job.

Your family can think that cops are cowards all they want, but they aren't patrolling the mean streets at 3 am in the rain. They're at home in their comfy little beds, able to sleep a little more sound because of people like the ones on this board.

Despite your families opinion, if they were in my jurisdiction and needed my help, I would walk thru the fires of hell to bring them out safe.
                          Excellent post. I think it sums it up pretty well...

Comment

As others have stated, you're considering a path for your life that doesn't lend itself to popularity. It does lend itself to honor. If you haven't seen this quote before, it is something that might help you keep a bit of perspective on negative statements about law enforcement.
                            “Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6051 users online. 298 members and 5753 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X