Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed resident shot by officer

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...oting0919.html
    People who live on East Flower Street in central Phoenix might occasionally hear shots in the distance or the buzz of police helicopters overhead.

But the neighborhood near 32nd Street and Thomas Road, with its neatly remodeled brick ranch homes and community Block Watch traditions, rarely sees anything as violent as a police officer mistakenly shooting an armed homeowner who was holding an armed intruder at bay.

On Thursday, Phoenix police officials said Officer Brian Lilly would be placed on paid administrative leave as a result of shooting a Flower Street resident in the wake of a flurry of 911 calls on Wednesday.
    Lilly fired as many as six shots at the 35-year-old homeowner inside the man's house after the man appeared with a handgun. The gunman, who police sought in connection with earlier emergency calls, was hidden around a corner in the house, held at bay by the homeowner.

Angel Anastacio Canales, 27, is accused of shooting out the front window of the victim's house in the 3100 block of East Flower Street about 8 p.m. Wednesday. He then crawled inside the house, police said. Moments later police arrived.

Homeowner shot

The homeowner, whom police did not identify, suffered gunshot wounds to his abdomen and leg. Police said he is expected to recover.

Canales, whom police said they found in a back room armed with a 9mm handgun, could face charges of aggravated assault, armed burglary and misconduct involving weapons, police said.

Lilly, a six-year veteran, responded to the Flower Street home with a fellow officer and a sergeant. The officers were in the neighborhood to investigate reports of shots fired and a burglary at separate addresses.

Officers announced their presence when they entered the Flower Street home, though no words were exchanged with the homeowner prior to the shooting.

"I have no indication of any conversation with him," Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said. "When the homeowner came out of the room, he had the gun in his hand.

"Following the course of the events from the initial shots-fired call to the call of the burglary . . . were a number of calls that . . . would lead officers to believe this was a volatile situation."

'He has a gun'

A woman who lives in the Flower Street house told officers, "He has a gun," when they responded after hearing a scream and glass breaking. As the woman fled with her children - a toddler and a teen - the male homeowner went to get his gun, according to po- lice.

Canales suffered injuries to his leg. He was expected to be released from a hospital Thursday. He will be booked at Maricopa County Fourth Avenue Jail.

Police responded to initial calls of shots fired in the 2900 block of East Mulberry Drive.

Police said Canales and a female companion, whom police have not yet located, stopped at a home in the 3100 block of East Mulberry Drive moments prior to the intrusion on Flower Street - which is located a block south.

The residents of the Mulberry Drive house let Canales inside briefly. They then called police to report a residential burglary.

In the past year, Canales faced criminal charges in Tucson Municipal Court that led to his July conviction for misdemeanor disorderly conduct, records show.

He was convicted in April 2007 of misdemeanor criminal trespassing and false reporting to law enforcement in Tucson.

Quiet neighborhood

Al DiPi***a, who helps organize local Block Watch meetings, said Flower Street residents work regularly with their neighbors to deter crime in the community.

"Normally, it's really quiet," DiPi***a said. "We're a tight community."

DiPi***a said his neighbors, almost all of whom he knows by name, told him Canales was seen moments before the shooting running or shuffling down Flower Street "in a haggard way."

"He banged on a couple of doors," he said. "I was told people heard him knocking."

Those who live on the street stayed in their homes as the sound of sirens and flicker of emergency vehicle lights flooded the one-block area between Mulberry Drive and Flower Street.
    Last edited by velobard; 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM.

Bad situation all the way around. Lack of communications in a tense environment. Sorry that the homeowner was shot, but when the police are responding to a shots fired call and man with a gun, they will respond with force. I hope the homeowner recovers with no lasting effects and that the officer can recover himself in the same manner. Too bad the wrong person was shot.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
      Bad situation all the way around. Lack of communications in a tense environment. Sorry that the homeowner was shot, but when the police are responding to a shots fired call and man with a gun, they will respond with force. I hope the homeowner recovers with no lasting effects and that the officer can recover himself in the same manner. Too bad the wrong person was shot.
      +1

Well said.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

This is what I'd call a blue (da po-po) on grey (unknown, may be a good or bad guy, it isn't clear) shooting.

Nobody completely to blame, nobody did anything really wrong, but it happens.

The general public should not attempt to capture criminals.

It isn't my job to hold him.

If he wants to run, fine.
        If he wants to attack...well, good luck with that, bub.

But I'm not going to play junior g-man holding someone for the police.

That way leads to high stress situations involving a police officer coming up on an incident with 1 or more unknowns after having heard the work "Gun" come over the radio.

No. Thank. You.

Comment

Obviously we don't know much about the specifics of the shooting. It sounds like it was a fast developing situation. The bad guy shot out the window, cops had already been called so they showed up right after the he crawled inside the house, and the homeowner was just responding with his own gun, all right as the cops arrived on the scene. I see it as a cautionary tale for both LE and private gun owners.
          Last edited by velobard; 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Just a little info as the Officers entered the house they identified themselves several times and the homeowner never said anything just came around the corner with the weapon in his hand....I was out there and spoke with some of the Officers involved.

Comment

I was hoping that someone with more info on the situation would kick in. Bad situation all around.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mitchell_in_CT;1416297]The general public should not attempt to capture criminals.

QUOTE]

He's in his own house.
                As far as announcing, with several shots already fired, nobody in the house may have been able to hear anything due to ringing ears.
                The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
                  The general public should not attempt to capture criminals.

It isn't my job to hold him.

If he wants to run, fine.
                  If he wants to attack...well, good luck with that, bub.

But I'm not going to play junior g-man holding someone for the police.
                  I'm with you on this. That's why I felt so uncomfortable with the story that came out several weeks ago about a ccw permit holder who was hailed as a "hero" for holding a bank robbery suspect until police arrived. No way I can picture getting involved in something like that, even though bank personel asked him for help.

In this case, it sounds like the homeowner still had an armed suspect in the premises, so perhaps it wasn't a matter of holding him at gunpoint as much of a standoff. Even then, from what's been related about the story, that doesn't completely mesh, I think the reporter may have been making a few presumptions. (not that they ever do that! )

Comment

Well, in this situation, it seems there was an obvious lack of communication between the homeowner and the officer. The homeowner, once seeing the officer, should have immediatley done two things:
                    1) Drop his weapon.
                    2) Identify himself as the homeowner.

Im not sure of the rules surrounding engaging a suspect, but I wonder if the homeowner pointed the gun at the officer, or did the officer....jump the gun....so to speak. I understand the high stress situation that a MWAG or shots fired call can put an officer in. Im not placing blame on the officer, just openly speculating.

I'm with you on this. That's why I felt so uncomfortable with the story that came out several weeks ago about a ccw permit holder who was hailed as a "hero" for holding a bank robbery suspect until police arrived. No way I can picture getting involved in something like that, even though bank personel asked him for help.
                    I agree as well, to a point. I think it varies from situation to situation. The bank robber (in Michigan) was held by an ex Isreali(sp?) Special Forces officer(correct?) who knew what he was doing. And the situation was handled very well. Now, someone average joe who has even really shot a gun before, has no business trying that, because the chances are better that someone other than who he is aiming at could get shot.
                    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                    George Carlin

Comment

[QUOTE=tony.o;1416337]

He's in his own house.

[QUOTE]

Then it should suck to be a criminal doing a home invasion.

But not for very long.

Comment

ugh. hope the homeowner recovers.
                        "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

That's to bad about the homeowner, hope he recovers.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I agree as well, to a point. I think it varies from situation to situation. The bank robber (in Michigan) was held by an ex Isreali(sp?) Special Forces officer(correct?) who knew what he was doing. And the situation was handled very well. Now, someone average joe who has even really shot a gun before, has no business trying that, because the chances are better that someone other than who he is aiming at could get shot.
                            I don't think skill level has too much to do with it. Every year it seems 1 or 2 off duty officers are shot by on duty uniformed officers when the off duties get involved in something they witness or are a victim of. Communication and how rapidly the situation is progressing probably plays the biggest factor in these situations. Enough time to get the call out to the responding officers that there is a plain clothes off duty officer involved or that the suspect has been subdued and is being held by a witness or victim will create a different reaction by the responding officers.
                            There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by kknudsen View Post
                              I don't think skill level has too much to do with it. Every year it seems 1 or 2 off duty officers are shot by on duty uniformed officers when the off duties get involved in something they witness or are a victim of. Communication and how rapidly the situation is progressing probably plays the biggest factor in these situations. Enough time to get the call out to the responding officers that there is a plain clothes off duty officer involved or that the suspect has been subdued and is being held by a witness or victim will create a different reaction by the responding officers.
                              In the instance of holding a bad guy at gunpoint, (example the back robber situation) I believe skill level has alot
                              to do with it.

Police responded to initial calls of shots fired in the 2900 block of East Mulberry Drive
                              But as far as identification and communication, it doesnt appear that the howeowner had called the police. Rather the police responded to other 911 calls about shots fired and MWAG.

If the homeowner had called the police, he needs a lesson in describing himself so he doesnt get shot if there ever is a next time.

I dont neccessarily place blame on either person individually, I think this is more of a wrong place wrong time type deal.

I hope the Homeowner has no lasting issues, as well as the officer. And I really hope this owner doesnt decide to sue, which will probably happen. I dont think a lawsuit is neccessary here.
                              The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                              George Carlin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6490 users online. 354 members and 6136 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X