300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text messages..

I was reading a story about the Detroit mayor and it said something about text messages being used in the case, dating back to 2002.. I was suprised they were still available..

Does anyone know how long they keep text message records?

I can't say that I know how long they are kept, but I imagine once the records are requested via a warrant, they are kept indefinently.

You could ask over at www.howardforums.com. I'm sure someone over there knows.

Comment

I think it would be cool to get a file of all the text messages I've sent &/or received.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc27 View Post
        I think it would be cool to get a file of all the text messages I've sent &/or received.
        hell no, I send/receive approximately 1500-2000 a month. I don't want that PDF file, nor the dead forests to prove it!

Comment

i heard they get purged after 72 hours from the phone company.
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I have Sprint/Nextel and one of my coworkers was actually trying to get texts from his phone through them and they said they only keep them for 14 days. But each carrier may be different!!!
            Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

Like the internet, nothing you text ever really goes away.
              Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Unless there's a law mandating records be saved, (and if there isn't yet, there will be soon) it probably varies.

Comment

I guess they had a warrant or something, so maybe the cell carrier was keeping them for them..

Comment

Originally posted by mrc27 View Post
                    No thanks....I used to be pretty bad about drunk texting. I really don't want to see the stupid stuff I would send out.

Now I just don't drink much...so...problem solved, lol.
                    "Every morning all the stupid people in your life get together to come up with more ways to make your life more difficult"

PST.com Written/Physical - 3/13/11 - Passed
                    Pasco PD Oral Board - 4/13/11 - #5
                    Pasco Background - Passed
                    Polygraph - 5/12/11 -
                    Chief's Interview - TBD
                    Medical - TBD
                    Psych - TBD

Comment

To those of you on the sprint network - Be advised, they store sprint text messages for 90 days.

Sprint Pictures - If you send and or recieve a picture on the sprint network, a copy will be stored on the the sprintpicturemail server for 2 years, or until you delete it.

---

Verizon Wireless - Purges the network weekly of text message archives. Picture mail can, on request be stored on verizonwireless.com

---

AT&T - Unknown
                      TMobile- Unknown
                      AllTell - Unknown

---

iNPule - Verizon Network
                      Boost - Sprint network - They store pictures
                      Virgin Mobile - Owned by SprintPCS. - But does not store images.
                      WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

don't text.

Comment

The issue in Detroit may be one of the texting going on on a government-issued device, not a private one. I keep hearing ads on my local radio stations selling services while warning employers that they must keep e-mails, etc. stored for up to seven(?) years, due to Fed regulations. If the texting had been on privately-owned devices, Mr. Kwame Kilpatrick might still be the mayor....but I'm sure he got excited by the City-funded toy he was given to play with.

Like they said to us when they gave us MDT's (MDC's) and then LAN e-mail systems....if you don't want it printed out and used against you in a complaint investigation, don't send it!
                          Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-20-2008, 04:43 PM.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

As long as my mother isn't able to read them...
                            ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

Originally posted by vacop4274 View Post
                              I have Sprint/Nextel and one of my coworkers was actually trying to get texts from his phone through them and they said they only keep them for 14 days. But each carrier may be different!!!
                              Thats odd. As I am able to pull up my Sprint phonebill from 6 months ago on the net. I would think because a text file takes up such a miniscule amount of space, I would think they would keep text's for a very very long time till purged.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3181 users online. 152 members and 3029 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X