Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Agency LEO Ride Along?

My first post, and first question

Can an outside LEO from another agency (lets say an LAPD officer) ride along with an outside agency (say Long Beach PD, or CHP)?

And, if so, are they just considered a civilian ride along? Or are they allowed to be in uniform and have their duty belt along with weapon?

Thanks ahead!

I think it would depend on that agencies policy, but I would believe they would be a "civilian" ride-a-long. I know that I rode with a buddy at Vegas Metro once, and his Sgt was very adamant that I was an unarmed civilian. I still wore my vest under my polo shirt and my buddy made sure I knew how to unlock the rifle just in case....

But even in a "same state" situation, I can see problems wearing a different department uniform on a ride-a-long. My bet is they would all be as "civillians".
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Happens all the time. No uniforms, but I'm sure most supervisors wouldn't mind if the riding officer has a concealed weapon.

Comment

If you're an officer, you could ride with us as a civilian with no uniform. You would be crazy not to be armed and I would be crazy not to allow you to carry your weapon. However, you would still have to sign the ride along waiver.

Comment

Ah i see.

Now would that officer ride along, even though considered a civilian in this scenario, follow suit to the typical ride along? Such as not exiting the vehicle? Or since they already have the training on how to deal with the situation it'd be okay?

Also, even though they're riding along as civilian, dont police officers carry full peace powers at all time? So if the officer that he was riding along with was trying to apprehend 2 suspects, could that 'civilian' officer take arrest/take down one of the suspects?

My question stems from my own personal thought. My best friend and i are going to be entering the LE field but both have different department thoughts (he wants to be LASO or LAPD, and i strictly want to do PD outside of LA).

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

My chief doesn't like officer ride alongs and they can't be armed. Too much chance they will act like cops (go figure) off duty and outside their jurisdiction. The chief doesn't want the headache or the law suit. Actually, I don't know if we have ever had an officer ride along.

Comment

At our agency, cert. officers can wear their duty weapons concealed. However, some agencies frown on this. When I rode with MdTA, I was an unarmed civilian. Wore my badge on my belt and my vest under a polo shirt. I kept my duty weapon hidden in the vehicle though, not on me.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

The agency I'm with now I believe used to (or still may) use the state police as a sort of ride along program for officers who get few LE encounters. I think they did the same with county sheriffs. Now we have statewide jurisdiction so we could function anywhere, but at the time they didn't have that nugget. I think they were required to wear their uniform and everything. I've never done it, needed to do it, or wanted to do it... In fact, all of this is just hearsay so who cares anyway.

Comment

After 14 years, I don't even like to ride with myself.. Actually when I was a rookie, I was bored on my days off and excited to go back to work. Now days I make sure I take off for the time change in the fall so I don't have to work an extra hour. I still like my job, just haven't felt adrenaline in a long time. Been in 4 high speed pursuits in the last 5 or 6 weeks, no adrenaline. Actually there were way too many cars involved, so I went back to my zone. OK, I'm rambling and going off subject.....time to sleep.
                  Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

That would be silly to do a ride along IN uniform. However Im the Police and if I choose to do a ride along they can say whatever they want I AM going to be armed with or without their permission
                    The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4047 users online. 210 members and 3837 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X