Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using legal handgun to protect home during robbery in Canada

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Using legal handgun to protect home during robbery in Canada

    Hello,

    I live in Canada and I was wondering what would happen in this scenario;

    Let's say that a person has a legal hand gun in their room all locked up. If that person were to hear someone, potentially a robber, in their kitchen rooting around, would it be legal to take the safety off, load it, and check out the noise? What if it WAS a robber and he ran at the home owner and got shot in the process?

    Just to clarify, I am NOT posting this to see if I should call the cops about the dead guy in my kitchen, or just bury him.. it is a hypothetical question. haha..

    Also, maybe some info about using a knife in place of a gun... thanks!

  • #2
    It was on the news the other day, 4 men in St.Catherines,Ontario tried a home invasion but that went bad when the victim open fire and killed one of them. The victim of the home invasion ended up ketting charged with manslaughter.

    Comment


    • #3
      One more reason why I'll never live in Canada.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
        It was on the news the other day, 4 men in St.Catherines,Ontario tried a home invasion but that went bad when the victim open fire and killed one of them. The victim of the home invasion ended up ketting charged with manslaughter.
        It will be interesting to see how that one turns out. I read that the guys knew each other, so maybe that has something to do with the guy getting charged.

        Comment


        • #5
          But you really got to think about it hear 4 guys pulling a home invasion on somebody I really think it is Drug related. If he had a good reason to shoot out of fear of his life I really think the charges will be dropped.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lets just say I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by velobard View Post
              One more reason why I'll never live in Canada.
              There isn't an epidemic of home invasions in Canada. I'm pretty sure that the crime rate (especially involving guns) is lower in Canada than in the states. But I TOTALLY agree with being able to protect your own house with a gun.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
                But you really got to think about it hear 4 guys pulling a home invasion on somebody I really think it is Drug related. If he had a good reason to shoot out of fear of his life I really think the charges will be dropped.
                I would certainly hope so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by adamt35 View Post
                  There isn't an epidemic of home invasions in Canada. I'm pretty sure that the crime rate (especially involving guns) is lower in Canada than in the states. But I TOTALLY agree with being able to protect your own house with a gun.
                  That's not necessarily true. I find break-ins / property crimes MUCH more common up in Canada, from my experience.

                  I grew up in BC, Canada (Fraser Valley area) and while violent crimes like homicides aren't quite as common as where I live now (southern CA), I find that overall, break-ins are far less common here. For example, in BC, almost every house on our block had been broken into in at least one point of time. Here in my neighborhood, I don't know of ANY. Granted, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

                  Understand that down here, a home invader takes a serious risk breaking into a house where the owners are an unknown. This is because the homeowners can actually defend themselves, unlike in Canada, where you'll get charged with manslaughter for doing so (unfortunately, I think the charges in the above story will stick based on previous cases).

                  Really, unless your home is being invaded by a sloth, you wouldn't have a chance to legally arm yourself anyway because of the 3-lock requirement.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It would be a "Justifiable Homicide" here in CA - no charges

                    And if they found the other 3, they would all be charged with First Degree Murder due to their crime partner's death during the commission of a felony
                    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 6595 users online. 357 members and 6238 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X