300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather gloves

Ok, I know there was a post before about cold weather gloves and it did not really answer anything. I work in WI in the nothern part where temps in the winter can get really really really cold and nasty.

I am looking for a glove that I will be able to draw and use my sidearm if needed. Also a glove that is warm enough and water proof. Any help would be great on this topic. The other people in my department just use plain fleece gloves. I think they can sometimes be bulky and cumbersome.

Thanks

I use a pair of the hatch kevlar palm gloves most of the time in the winter. I also carry a pair of Black hawk insulated duty gloves in my squad. If I know I'm going to be outside for a while directing traffic or chasing some loser around they come with me. I aslo carry a winter bag. Sucks to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without warmth and food. The handiest thing i carry in the winter in a set of googles. Hate walking into a driving snow without them.
    Last edited by Monkeybomb; 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

What is this 'cold weather' you speak of?

Is that when it gets down around 50 degrees or so?
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If you find a glove that meets all of your requirements except for being waterproof, you can at least make it water resistant. The best product I've found to do this is near the bottom of this page, #316.
        http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

In my experience, it blows ScotchGuard away. The company was started by a member of the Meguiar family that broke away from the car wax company over 40 years ago. They don't focus on the consumer market, so their products don't get a lot of attention in the retail market.

P.S. I also love their #20 wood protectant, and on my car I use 1000P synthetic wax. Amazing durability and appearance.

Comment

I have had a pair of Damascus Sub-zero gloves for a few years now. I live in the mountains where temps are regularly well below freezing with a horrible wind factor. They do pretty well against the wet and cold and allow for decent dexterity. As for being able to shoot with them on they are an LE glove but they would definately be imparing, maybe someone else could chime in regarding that. If you go with that glove order 2 or 3 times larger than your would normally they are tight!!

Hope that is at least mildly useful
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

Ditto on the kevlar lined ones. They work well in the cold, although I also carry a thick pair of Gore-text also (the wind chill where I work gets down to -120* with an ambient temp of -50*)

Comment

Last winter I became a big fan of the neoprene & spandex gloves that are becoming popular. They have standard & winter weights and I now prefer them over the dozen different leather gloves I've got.
              Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
              Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                What is this 'cold weather' you speak of?

Is that when it gets down around 50 degrees or so?
                60 degress for you west coasters

Comment

As dumb as it'll sound, wearing latex gloves under your duty gloves can help in a pinch if you don't have waterproof gloves. They'll keep you dry for a bit longer, keep the wind out and in the off chance you need to have them on, you already do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spears View Post
                    As dumb as it'll sound, wearing latex gloves under your duty gloves can help in a pinch if you don't have waterproof gloves. They'll keep you dry for a bit longer, keep the wind out and in the off chance you need to have them on, you already do.
                    True, but if the gloves freeze around your hand, you may be dry, but youre still cold.

Depending entirely on your weather, try to find some nice gore-tex gloves. If you can find some thinsulate lined gloves or similar that arent waterproof, a good heavy duty water proofer/polymer will work. Just be aware that it might wear off so youll need to make sure you keep an eye on it.

What it boils down to is that its gonna be hard to find some good winter gloves that are easy to shoot in.
                    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2810 users online. 157 members and 2653 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X