Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper/Tax maps... right. Call me lazy but if someones life is on the line I am sure they would prefer that I know where I am going. It is good to know your Beat area but I use a Garmin Nuvi but also have Streets 2008 just in case.

I like the Garmin better and have gotten pretty good with it. Streets is nice but does not find locations as easy in my opinion.

I too am looking for a GPS that shows my exact position. My Streets 08 and Nuvi does not show your position but the Nuvi will tell you the next street.

I am guessing you are looking for a way to tell Radio (or someone else) your position for traffic stops, trouble, etc. Seems like a common fear for guys off of FTO. If you know what street you are on you can always look at the Garmin to see what street you are coming up on. If you know your direction you can say STREET A, EAST OF ****** (whatever the garmin says). Use any GPS to know your position without using it though. If you get in an accident or leave your vehicle it will be no help.

Good luck and welcome to the streets.
    ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

PS - the Garmin Street Pilot works better than the Nuvi and is cheaper! Whatever you buy, i'd go with Ebay to save $$
      ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

I ended up buying the Garmin Mobile PC. It does have a screen called "where am I?" It shows gps cords. and it also shows you the closest address to where you are. Like if I was driving in the 3500 block of main it might say the closest address is "3515". ManInTan got it right. I like it becuase if I make a traffic stop I can take a quick look and call out on my location on the radio. The other thing that I really like is I work at night and a lot of times I cannot see street numbers on the houses. With the Garmin I can turn it on and see when I am getting close so I don't roll up in front of the house.

I know that I need to get to know my city better and I will in time. The GPS will just help me while I am learning the city.

Comment

Streets and Trips 2009 just came out. You can get it off amazon for under $60 with GPS unit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6261 users online. 321 members and 5940 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X