300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican/Cayman Island LEOs question

I'll be in the Caribbean soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how American LEOs are viewed by our Jamaican and Cayman Island brothers and sisters... I'd like to say hello, maybe trade a patch and a story or two while on vacation, but don't want to risk my life like you would if you walked into a Mexican police station and idenitfied yourself as an American LEO... any insight from folks who have been to the Caribbean?
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Excuse me while I light my spliff!

Make sure you get THIS guy as your tour guide, his name is Captain Crazy, he's at the Bob Marley museum and he's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2tHEkLnAto

Also, as for the Mexican police I wouldn't advertise that you're an American LEO... I've heard some stuff about rough treatment.
    Last edited by CajunController; 09-17-2008, 03:13 AM.

Comment

I tried to strike up a conversation with a Bahaman officer and I felt he was very rude and standoffish. Don't know if he was the norm or the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunController View Post
        Excuse me while I light my spliff!

Make sure you get THIS guy as your tour guide, his name is Captain Crazy, he's at the Bob Marley museum and he's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2tHEkLnAto

Also, as for the Mexican police I wouldn't advertise that you're an American LEO... I've heard some stuff about rough treatment.
        That's freaking hilarious!

Oh the Mexicans aren't a problem... I'm going to avoid them at all cost... just wondering about the rest of the world down there
        sigpic
        Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

My island experiences!

Jamaica: Attempted to speak with an officer. He was on-duty, in uniform, drunk. He came across as a mean drunk, so I bid goodbye quickly. Jamaica is an independant entity and very few aspect of former colonial rule remain. If I could I would not go there unarmed, so therefore I don't plan on Jamaica every again. I went on three separate trips and the area got more and more ghetto as time went on. The only safe place is the gated resort areas.

Grand Cayman: Met a detective assigned from the UK. Got a tour of their station and forensic stuff, traded patches and business cards, a very nice gentleman. Of course, Cayman is still a British colony.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Thanks grumpy... I'll keep that in mind...
            sigpic

Comment

I went on a cruise and we docked at Ocho Rios too...

We climbed this beautiful waterful and went snorkeling in the ocean. That was a lot of fun.

In addition, we went through the town, and the portion we were in was very dirty and obviously impoverished. The cruise ship put us right into a flea market type area with dozens of people with shops the size of small closets. almost immediately a man named "rocky" came over and attempted to sell us marijuana.

I was not very comfortable in the area because it was so shady...

I'm sure all of jamaica isn't like that, but it's probably no coincidence that thats where they let out all the cruisers... That way we see those conditions and buy stuff. I felt compelled to buy some things just because i felt bad for them.

I don't recall seeing any law enforcement officers there at all.

Comment

No not all Jamaica is bad. When I went there to visit my grandmother when I was 5 a lot of the crime was really held to Kingston, and most of the crime in Kingston was being commited in the ghetto of west Kingston. That was back in 92 though and i have never been back since though but things could have changed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3029 users online. 143 members and 2886 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X