Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drop the Security gig if you want to be in LE?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop the Security gig if you want to be in LE?

I have been browsing the threads for a while now and have noticed that many officers tell people to stop being a security guard if they want to eventually become a LEO. Why is that? Do agencies frown upon this?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

I worked security from 2000-2003 and 2004-2007 and it wasn't an issue with my LE employer. I had good recommendations and certification. I think my attitude and goals meant more than my previous field. It's not like regular jobs where you can be flipping burgers one day, valet park next week, then fetch some pins on a bowling lane the week after. Agencies I've seen/heard of understand that you have to do something in the mean time until you graduate from your regional academy or get accepted to a department. As long as you're not a job hopper.

Comment

I also work at a hospital as a security officer, good pay, great benefits and a good all around environment to work in; you get to deal with a wide range of people. I have worked security since I got out of the military and could not foresee any law enforcement agency having a problem with your prior work experience being in security as long as you show some consistency being with a company for a good lenght of time.

As long as you don’t bounce around from job to job there should not be a problem in my opinion.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I had two years experience in private security when I was hired as a full-time officer. I agree with what the others have posted, most potential employers want to see dependability, honesty, integrity and a good work history, especially in law enforcement.

Comment

I dont think it is a huge deal with agencies, but what it does is put you in a position where you are more likely to be involved in something that could later be looked at negatively. If your pushing paper at a desk theres not much chance to screw up your background, but if your working security you always have the chance of a use of force issue, or something job related to be questioned. Just food for thought

Comment

I would say don't give up a good security gig to better your chances of being a LEO, but don't go looking for one thinking it is going to give you a better chance of getting on somewhere. Maturity and a good work history is what potential employers look for.

Comment

When I was making inquiries about becoming LE, the recruiter told me that it didnt matter what my job history was, as long as you have good work history from each employer.
              The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
              George Carlin

Comment

Never heard of this issue. I had 9 years in inner city Los Angeles as a plain clothes retail security agent and as a personal executive (bodyguard) security agent before I became a state trooper.
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Define "job hopping"

I haven't held a job for over a year since I was in high school, for various reasons. I haven't ever been fired, I just wanted to find my niche. This is frowned upon?
                  "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Some security companies have poor reputations. Those also tend to pay poorly and hire people who are not very competent. Working for such a company could hurt your image.

Working for a company that is well regarded and screens its employees thoroughly (e.g., an armored car company) should not be viewed negatively.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by exdrip View Post
                      Define "job hopping"

I haven't held a job for over a year since I was in high school, for various reasons. I haven't ever been fired, I just wanted to find my niche. This is frowned upon?
                      Generally, yes. It shows a lack of stability.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

+1 to above.

Comment

The major reason in particular, is that they are seasonal jobs and in the winter its full time school. Can't mow grass, build decks, irrigate, or do anything of that nature in the winter here. Maybe I should have said that first...

With the security gig thing, my academy coordinator got me my security job last winter. He used to be sheriff, so at least around here it's not gonna count against you. It gives you some good habits, and gives you the opportunity to meet some other like minded people but like Fuzz said you get put into a position to where if something happens you can act and your decisions and actions might be questioned later.
                          Last edited by exdrip; 09-15-2008, 12:54 PM.
                          "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Originally posted by exdrip View Post
                            Define "job hopping"

Enjoy filling out the personal history statement packet listing every job you have ever had and explanations as to why you left each one. Its frowned upon because after spending $$$ to train you and equip you, your job history would suggest you wont be around for long. So its not seen as favorable on your end...

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                              Enjoy filling out the personal history statement packet listing every job you have ever had and explanations as to why you left each one. Its frowned upon because after spending $$$ to train you and equip you, your job history would suggest you wont be around for long. So its not seen as favorable on your end...
                              I guess I don't quite understand this. I graduated from college in 2006 and am 25 soon to be 26 years old. Are you implying that everyone, including recent college students should find and stick with one or two jobs for a very long time, even if they don't like it? If I were to stick with a job I did not like at this age and did not make it into LE like I want, before I know it, I'm 30 and stuck in a job(not a career) that I do not like. And I think we all know that is is easier for recent college grads to find work than people in their thirties. I have read many articles that read how times are different now compared to generations before myself and it is more acceptable (and is even expected) for college grads to job hop and find something they like the best. I admit I have job hopped a little and have my reasons for it bit but it is not due to lack of maturity or loyalty. I think I understand how it can be frowned upon if people "career" hop but in my humble opinion, I feel "job" hopping should be a little more acceptable until people reach their career goals.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5846 users online. 307 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X